The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What's your Electric Bill?

KevinM

10 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

£100 per month ish

Mine gets there in the winter months Guy Gas heating.I asked this because I know we have a few members in TX and hear the bill has really gone up?The 326 is the most I have ever had usually 250/275 during the summer.;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KevinM said:

Mine gets there in the winter months Guy Gas heating.I asked this because I know we have a few members in TX and hear the bill has really gone up?The 326 is the most I have ever had usually 250/275 during the summer.;)

I'm pretty sure Oxfordshire UK has a lot gentler climate than Texas or Mississippi, mind you we are being hit with all time high gas bills thanks to Poohtin .

We peak in the summer and winter at $350 a month.  Normally around $200-$225.  We did have a mild spring bill of $125 when we first moved in.  I keep the thermostat on 69 during the summer. 
sq ft is right at 2200, but we also have a hot tub now. 

Last home was a different company with much higher rates. Our averaged bill was $350 a month.  Sq ft there was about 3000

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

We peak in the summer and winter at $350 a month

New house better insulation? my 1961 has zero insulation in the walls and having seen how it helps termites I'll keep it that was.I did install double pane windows and had R-30 blown in the addict that was 25years ago.I am reading outrageous amounts for parts of TX just can't believe it yet.:hsmack:

Much newer, but I have my doubts about insulation amounts.  House has a large great room with a 19’ cathedral ceiling. Has “wings” on either side with on being master bedroom and bath.  Other side is two bedrooms with a jack and Jill bathroom.  Both have about 12’ ceilings.  
During the summer you can really feel the heat from overhead.  My last home had AC vents in the ceiling.  This one is all in the floors.  I have to keep ceiling fans running all the time to circulate heat from above.  Unfortunately, there is no access to the attic space above. None. Zero.  Zilch.  So I’m at the mercy of hoping they put enough insulation up there.  I have thought about using my small probe camera to look up there through one of the smoke detectors. If I can see if it needs more, I’ll have to get a contractor to cut an opening in the ceiling of my walk in closet and get more insulation blown in. 
In all honesty, I’d love to find an old power bill from the last home and see my power usage vs. the new place. I know price per kilowatt hour is a lot less with the new company. 

• Thanks 1

Our house is about 1100 sqft built in 1894. We're in the middle of a 4 unit rowhouse. 

Being in Toronto, Canada we get the best of both worlds. 30-40°C in summer and -25°C in winter. 

Electricity averages $120 CAD a month which includes running the AC and gas is about the same.

We did an energy audit earlier this year so we're hoping to get some insulation put in as there's currently none. Guess it didn't exist when the house was built. We've also got some windows on the at so that'll help. 

• Thanks 1

Most houses in Portugal are poorly insulated. The one I am renting right now (only two months left to go, yay :piliot:! ) is a prime example : interesting look  - by a well-known Portuguese architect -, very low level of practicability, and appallingly poor construction standards, and zero isolation. So my bills are in the € 300 area, for 150 sqm, in winter or in summer, where you HAVE to run the A/C …

(And do not get me started on water consumption bills, where the price is progressive : the more water you consume, the higher the price per cubic meter. It’s a great system to make everyone responsible in a country where chronic draught has been felt for the last 6 years, but it can hurt a lot - like when the landlord decides to change the grass in late spring, and has the gardener water the new grass as if there was no tomorrow :brickwall:- f#@&%!g morons !)

Hubert

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2023 at 8:46 PM, ScottsGT said:

Much newer, but I have my doubts about insulation amounts.  House has a large great room with a 19’ cathedral ceiling. Has “wings” on either side with on being master bedroom and bath.  Other side is two bedrooms with a jack and Jill bathroom.  Both have about 12’ ceilings.  

That design use to be the norm in the South high ceilings move the heat up off the floor then they used small slot windows in the 11/12' area to move the heat out.;)

On 8/21/2023 at 2:13 AM, HubertB said:

(And do not get me started on water consumption bills, where the price is progressive : the more water you consume, the higher the price per cubic meter.

We have the same hear Hubert looking for my water usage to be high this month for the lack of rain.:wallbash:

3 minutes ago, KevinM said:

That design use to be the norm in the South high ceilings move the heat up off the floor then they used small slot windows in the 11/12' area to move the heat out.;)

Yea, I went to a private school down in the low country back in the ‘70’s. It was in a huge old home built sometime in the 1800’s.  Exactly like that. 
We hit 100 yesterday and expecting the same today.  Just bumped the tstat down to 65 to get it as cool as I can in here before the afternoon.  It got a bit warm for my liking inside yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

We put solar panels onto the roof paired with a heavy dose of accumulators and reduced the cost of electricity by about 80%, to be spent mainly for some bad weather winter days. It would be even less, If there was no base fee from the supplier. Water is also cheap, but we need a lot this summer.
Our costs of living are marginal, but we have only one heated living room in winter, others can be heated with electric radiators, but we rarely do, as we have two houses on our ground and our dog hates closed doors.

Cheers Rob

• Thanks 1

Pool pump.  3 hours per day winter, and 6 in summer.  The liner is torn right now, except from for the small ecosystem at the deepest point.  So, we’re saving there.  It will cost thousands for a new liner plus installation.  But here, we get only 4 electric bills each year.  But still, we pay a lot less than people that have to heat and cool their homes.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday was a nice, cool 89*.  I actually worked on my F-250 outside and didn’t die. But today we’re back up to 100+, so thermostat was just bumped back down to 65 to cool it down before the heat soak kicks in. 

BTW, got my monthly email from Duke Energy telling me to expect a power bill of $150.  Yea! Bring it! 
EDIT.  Oh well.  So much for that teaser. It wound up being in the $300 range again. 

• Thanks 1