Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

WestLand Whirlwind 1/48 Classic AirFrames-Finnished

KevinM

1 hour ago, KevinM said:

That's neat Guy my father served over there with the 92nd BG went on less than five missions was assigned to command HQ duties as the main radio operator on the base.I had a nice tumble tonight parked the truck incline opened the door and wa-la I stepped out and it started rolling.I tied to brake just to damn fast ran over my own L/ankle when the door passed me it flipped me over and the following impact two knuckles on the R/hand impacted concrete.I tried to catch the front bumper but said F'it it stopped about 12' in my neighbors yard across the street.My right calf is sore as well as the middle of the right side of the back from the flip.I unlock the door and the F'in key jams in the lock I go "aw F me" I am bleeding and wore out some serious little demons out tonight.:hsmack:

I took 600mg Ibuprofen now all I need is a good Scotch!!!!!:wtf:

Flipping heck thats a bit crazy . It ranover your foot ?😳 bit more than painful im sure 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Flipping heck thats a bit crazy

Yeah Guy it's a standard forgot to put in gear just got in from the store and hands had bags of groceries other wise I could grab the wheel and pull myself back in.The r/leg was still inside the truck in what felt like a half flip definitely bruised a frigg'in rib.:wtf:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 10/2/2023 at 11:53 PM, KevinM said:

That's neat Guy my father served over there with the 92nd BG went on less than five missions was assigned to command HQ duties as the main radio operator on the base.I had a nice tumble tonight parked the truck incline opened the door and wa-la I stepped out and it started rolling.I tied to brake just to damn fast ran over my own L/ankle when the door passed me it flipped me over and the following impact two knuckles on the R/hand impacted concrete.I tried to catch the front bumper but said F'it it stopped about 12' in my neighbors yard across the street.My right calf is sore as well as the middle of the right side of the back from the flip.I unlock the door and the F'in key jams in the lock I go "aw F me" I am bleeding and wore out some serious little demons out tonight.:hsmack:

I took 600mg Ibuprofen now all I need is a good Scotch!!!!!:wtf:

Kev

OH NO, Lady Luck wasn't riding co-pilot. I know how it hurts and just glad it wasn't worse. Rest and stay off your feet for a few days and mend.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

OH NO, Lady Luck wasn't riding co-pilot.

Not that night the way it was going Pete felt like somebody let the dogs out after me.:hsmack:I have some work this morning on the WhirlWind  it's going rathr well thus far today.I made the pitot tube that attaches to the the top of the tail out of two different pieces of brass looks much more to scale,The LG's are ready to be positioned in the WW's test fit looks good and the props are painted.The props I am going to insert .015" wire drill the nacelle nose and insert just do not feel good with simple glue somewhere when moving one will break off.The plane is very close to it's finish line I am amazed that the WS is about 11.25" for a fighter in 1/48 that's pretty significant.I always said Peter when you were working yours by SH that thing looks big but maybe it's the fuselage to wing illusion coming into play?:hsmack:

• Like 1

OK moving along the LG's are in place,antenna and pitot tube which I made out of two different diameters of brass definitely looks more to scale.I had to drill out the locations for 20mm up to make them slow was the game.I am going to repaint part of the nose tonight to make it all blend properly.The props I did as planned drilled the spinner and the blades insert .015 guitar wire and put them together.Shes coming together and actually looking better than I thought it would let's hope no mishaps before the finish line.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Brit 003.JPG

• Like 3

Kev

Glad you're feeling better and on the mend - just don't overdo it for a few more days.

Whirlwind is looking so good up on her legs and wearing her Nikes, props in place and coming together so nicely with all the other added parts and touches. I'm sure you can 'feel' the finish line right around the bend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• KevinM changed the title to WestLand Whirlwind 1/48 Classic AirFrames-Finnished

The WhirlWind is finished after sitting in the stash for maybe 20 yrs now.The build followed your typical short-run limited kit poor instructions on parts location and then just fitting like having to dremel and drill out the nose for the barrels :hsmack:Anyway she came out pretty good nothing special but I have added another unusual subject to the cabinet.Thanks for looking in guys sorry for the distraction called life and getting banged up but we tarry on.;)

Brit 001.JPG

Brit 002.JPG

Brit 003.JPG

Brit 004.JPG

Brit 005.JPG

Brit 006.JPG

Brit 007.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kev

Awesome build and tackling a limited run kit that has been in residence in the stash for 20 years 🏆.

Sure, sounds as if you're feeling better and better each day ; good news for sure.

I only hope my Airfix Sea Fury comes out looking half as good.

• Like 3

Indeed your Whirlwind came out really nice, Kevin. The paintjob looks great and I can feel your satisfaction, having mastered this short run beauty.
I hope you leg and back are well. Not the greatest thing in the world, to be run over by a car. All the best.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

I only hope my Airfix Sea Fury comes out looking half as good.

Shoot Peter your SeaFury looks great right now.:unworthy:

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

Indeed your Whirlwind came out really nice, Kevin.

Thanks Rob never used that much tape before but I figured 1/48 she needed a hard edge.;)

6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

She's a gem. 👍

Thanks Martin and she has good size to boot @11.25" on the WS.;)

• Like 3