The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

1/32 Shuttlecraft

Ok, might be a stretch putting this here. But it flies, it’s 1/32 so it fits the LSM requirement. 
Besides….  :admin:

But it was a quick build while I waited on aftermarket for my next build.  Wrapped it up last night.  
And I’m going to say, Woody V from Archer Transfers post a tip online that saved my Sea Fury build as well as this one. 
Spraying straight Leveling Thinner from an airbrush on top of dry silvered decals will melt them into the paint. 
These decals were thick and liked to silver badly even with my slick surface I painted on.  Those huge side decals looked bad until I airbrushed on Leveling Thinner. 

IMG_0836.thumb.jpeg.36a7dcb04342db5be459f6c5fef62975.jpeg 

IMG_0838.thumb.jpeg.45af699c929858593b5adbce8d1df09b.jpeg

IMG_0837.thumb.jpeg.c4b1d7fa2dff0aa02a4ec4bae1891d5f.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PanzerWomble said:

Thats is lovely paint finish going on there, looks straight outta the studio l 

Something I struggle with ...and why I stick to matt 'n mud ! 

Thanks! I was kind of anal about getting the colors right.  Gary Kerr is the renowned expert of Star Trek colors and restoration of the 12’ filming model that’s on display at the Smithsonian.  He published a mix of Model Master enamels to get the correct hues. Of course with MM gone and me dedicated to lacquers now I started looking at all online color charts for model paint I could find.  
my formula was a bit simpler and when my model was held up against the kit box, it was a dead ringer! 
light gray was 10:1 ratio of FS16440 and RAF Sky I just used on the Sea Fury

Dark gray was also a 10:1 but using Mr. Color C13-neutral gray and C318-radome tan.  
….Just if anyone is curious. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Thanks! I was kind of anal about getting the colors right.  Gary Kerr is the renowned expert of Star Trek colors and restoration of the 12’ filming model that’s on display at the Smithsonian.  He published a mix of Model Master enamels to get the correct hues. Of course with MM gone and me dedicated to lacquers now I started looking at all online color charts for model paint I could find.  
my formula was a bit simpler and when my model was held up against the kit box, it was a dead ringer! 
light gray was 10:1 ratio of FS16440 and RAF Sky I just used on the Sea Fury

Dark gray was also a 10:1 but using Mr. Color C13-neutral gray and C318-radome tan.  
….Just if anyone is curious. 

Always strikes me as funny, I bet the original props studio settled on some random colour that they had a bunch of lying around from the previous project , and 60 years on it's the subject of much study and speculation

Heard similar tales about the original Michael Myers masks , which was Captain Kirk facemask adultered in an afternoon by the props firm ( they did a Nixon and Spock to , the director choosing Kirk ), and now people spend $1000's replicating them . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I know the great car customizer Gene Winfield built the Shuttlecraft.  I’m guessing he probably delivered it in primer, which is pretty close.  I do know that greens were added to the color, and actually sections of the Enterprise were painted a light shade of green due to the use of tungsten lighting and the film affects using certain lighting of certain colors.  But you’ll never see those greens on film. It’s interesting to read about Enterprise builds how they either built it for a replica of the filming model or how your eye saw it on TV. 

• Like 4

I read the history of the prop.  Quite interesting how it wound up in some guys back yard for his kids to play in it for many years and then on to a junk yard.  My understanding is that is was so far gone, it was more like a restoration of a warbird pulled out of the ocean.  Yea, it’s the same plane…just the builders tag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice Galileo shuttle Scott. 

I can't recall if you have the 1/350 Enterprise to go with it or not. Be nice to see that built if you do. 

Now you’re just trying to egg me on!  I have both kits. TOS and the refit.  And a rare 1/350 resin Klingon D7 battle cruiser. Just cannot find decals for it.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Now you’re just trying to egg me on!  I have both kits. TOS and the refit.  And a rare 1/350 resin Klingon D7 battle cruiser. Just cannot find decals for it.  

Maybe see if you can get a sheet from the Polar Lights 1/350 K'Tinga?

• Like 1

K’Tinga is completely different markings.  At this point my plan is to find some regular small scale decals and get my daughter to cut me some stencils on her Ciricut machine.  
Here’s a photo of the studio model. Very simple markings. 

IMG_0866.thumb.png.eac02a12e8c03cd52e559585edd6373e.png

• Like 4

Nostalgia is what drives my syfi builds. I’m mainly a Trekki, to a point. I was there on opening day for Star Wars, worked a theater where Empire Strikes Back for a solid year. I had every line in the movie memorized. 
But Star Wars never did it for me the way Trek did. 
I also have a few Lost In Space kits to build as well as the 1960’s War Of The Worlds space ship. Although the remake with Tom Cruise was more accurate to the book.  
Grew up watching Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea and Disney’s 20,000 Leagues….that’s why I picked that subject for my group wet build.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 8:36 AM, ScottsGT said:

Cool.  Is that the Captain Cardboard Klingon kit?  Or Jim Key's kit?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KUROK said:

Cool.  Is that the Captain Cardboard Klingon kit?  Or Jim Key's kit?

I’m honestly not sure.  I bought it off another syfi forum and it was simply listed as a resin 1/350 D-7 from what I can remember. 

20 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I’m honestly not sure.  I bought it off another syfi forum and it was simply listed as a resin 1/350 D-7 from what I can remember. 

Oh yeah, I can't remember who put that out there.  It scales to the 1/350 Enterprise kit.

BTW, did you see this week that the original 3 foot Enterprise model had surfaced....on eBay?

Auction has been taken down but the good news is that it has survived.  Hope it will be preserved properly..

I did!  I posted the link to Hyper Scale over on the X Wing thread.  
What’s cool is how they mounted it on a microphone goose neck of the era.  I have a couple of them from my old job at a University where I did A/V work.  My long 18” one is mounted on a plywood base I use for airbrush work.  Somewhere I have a short 6” or 8” like they used.  I’m thinking I might recreate the Roddenberry display for my plastic model.