Jump to content
The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

P-51B Conversion #2 completed


Recommended Posts

This one is ready for inspection. Basic kit is Trumpeter. The "new" nose is from a old Monogram Mustang from back in the late 50's or so. If you followed my build posts you would see it wasn't a "drop in fit"! Painted with a combination of Tamiya acrylics, Gunze acrylics, Colourcoats and Testor's enamels. Many of the decals ,such as national insignia and the PK*G decals are from my decal stash. The personal markings are from the decal sheet provided in the Kagero book on the Polish Mustangs in RAF service. They are the most difficult decals to work with that I can remember. Extremely delicate and touchy plus hard to move them around to get their proper "spot" after laying them on the model which makes for some high cuss-factors (and some screwed up decals). I'm glad to finally finish this one and I hope y'all like the results.

Let me say again guys that if you click on the first photo you get much better resolution and you can view all the photos as a slide show. Much better than just clicking on the photos, etc.

 

11-21-23 001.jpg

11-21-23 007.jpg

11-21-23 008.jpg

11-21-23 009.jpg

11-21-23 010.jpg

11-21-23 011.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks great John. I really need to do a razorback Mustang one day. 

Thank you Carl. Maybe some day Tamiya/Hasegawa/Revell ??? will bring us a nice 1/32 kit so we don't have to go to all the trouble of grafting a accurate nose on to a less than accurate Trumpeter kit. 🙄

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John

One awesome conversion, as your P-51B looks flawless. Thanks for the heads up when using Kagero decals, as it's a pain when decals behave that way and seem to fight you the whole way.

Surely must have felt a little strange using so many acrylics rather then going all enamels.

🏆 🏆🏆  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

One awesome conversion, as your P-51B looks flawless. Thanks for the heads up when using Kagero decals, as it's a pain when decals behave that way and seem to fight you the whole way.

Surely must have felt a little strange using so many acrylics rather then going all enamels.

🏆 🏆🏆  

Thank you Peter. I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I think the main thing I like about acrylics is they dry faster than enamels. I don't intend to go all acrylics but will use them some depending on the application. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, KevinM said:

John that really came out Nice!! would be even better if Tamy floated that way with a b/c version?:unworthy:

Thanks Kevin! I'm glad you like it. :) The build certainly did have it's "moments" as I had to set it aside a couple of times. LOL

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JohnB said:

I don't intend to go all acrylics but will use them some depending on the application. :)

That's why John been going the direction of Lacquers still got plenty of enamels but the Mr.leveling even speeds up the drying time for enamels.;)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, towerpower said:

Lovely presentation, for sure.

Question: did you use any AM parts for gearbay, cockpit interior and windshield/canopy, because i had no opportunity to check your work in progress

Jack

Here ya go Jack. Maybe this will answer your questions. :) The cockpit is after market but I don't recall which company.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Here ya go Jack. Maybe this will answer your questions. :) The cockpit is after market but I don't recall which company.

 

More info here: This model was used as the base kit.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for this "insight", i knew i must have missed something last year on the Mustang front, being a big affectionado on the type.

I have several AM kits to be usefull for the Mustang conversion-improvement, but they´re somewhere deep down in the stash......

Have to dig into it.

 

J.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, towerpower said:

Thanks for this "insight", i knew i must have missed something last year on the Mustang front, being a big affectionado on the type.

I have several AM kits to be usefull for the Mustang conversion-improvement, but they´re somewhere deep down in the stash......

Have to dig into it.

 

J.

Good luck! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

Great work John, I thing the Mustang does reslly suit the RAF paint and markings, I built the ancient Revell kit many years ago in that guise and was very pleased with the result.

Cheers

Dennis

I agree Dennis. I does stand out nicely. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...