The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

JetMads 1/32 Viggen

IMG_20240328_083901.thumb.jpg.3c4697490f79b9d18bea0b7f2d59329c.jpg

Primer is on! Didn't take quite as long as I thought it might but still a good 90 minute session. There are a few small spots which are going to need a bit more filling and sanding but less than I thought there might be, so I'm pretty happy with that.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, GusMac said:

IMG_20240328_083901.thumb.jpg.3c4697490f79b9d18bea0b7f2d59329c.jpg

Primer is on! Didn't take quite as long as I thought it might but still a good 90 minute session. There are a few small spots which are going to need a bit more filling and sanding but less than I thought there might be, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Nice! In my opinion viggen is one of best looking deltawing planes. Also airbrake is quite unique.

• Like 5

IMG_20240331_125036.thumb.jpg.5556af32620d8b85d576c984a610c9c1.jpg

Touch-ups completed and flaps installed. The canard flaps are a breeze due to this nifty bit of engineering....

IMG_20240331_135003.thumb.jpg.4ee888cca366f7080b7b6863249157b9.jpg

The 3D printed piece holds everything perfectly in place at the correct angle. The main flaps are a rather different story however! After much tweaking and swearing we got them in place with everything in reasonable alignment. Some of the actuators on the underside are slightly out of alignment but the upper side is good, so I'm going with that as it's the best achievable.

IMG_20240331_170702.thumb.jpg.eec8a263c01d3cc3a57a07eb9476e19f.jpg

And everything is now primed again ready for the painting.... the dreaded splinter cammo! If a coward so I'm starting with the underside. 😁

• Like 7

Gus

Terrific progress and some mighty fine work in overcoming all the obstacles. 

Yup, the cammo pattern is surely going to be time consuming but my money is riding on you to pull it off without any issues at all. :construction:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Peter. I have the Maestro masks which should make things a bit easier I hope. I'm also following the method used by Aigore on his build on LSP, so his secrets will be revealed in due course. I'm looking forward to using the MRP as the brief experience with it on the cockpit interior was encouraging.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, GusMac said:

Thanks Peter. I have the Maestro masks which should make things a bit easier I hope. I'm also following the method used by Aigore on his build on LSP, so his secrets will be revealed in due course. I'm looking forward to using the MRP as the brief experience with it on the cockpit interior was encouraging.

Gus

Looking forward to the cammo work and have my front row seat. :popcorn:

I've been using MRP paints for years and zero issues. I shoot them straight from the bottle with any of my air brushes with tip sizes from .2-.5 and always goes on smooth as silk. 

:construction:

• Like 1

Slight hold up as my jar of XF-63 German Grey which I was planning to use for preshading on the underside has dried out, so waiting on it and a jar of X-16 purple for the tail.

In the meantime started removing and cleaning up the undercarriage parts. The gear bay doors have some pretty nasty print lines as they've been printed horizontal - look like grid lines on a topographic map, so started on fixing that.

IMG_20240402_192739.thumb.jpg.14cfb85c97bdb2ec2bcf1e64d46b271e.jpg

Ladled a mix of Tamiya putty thinned with lacquer thinners over the top. I'll let it fully dry overnight, give it a good sand and see where we are at that point. The underside isn't great but with all the detail it isn't possible to use this method - will just try and sand them as best I can.

• Like 4

Ooops, these gear bay doors look really ugly, hope you can fix that, Gus. The good thing with the splinter camo, as extensive the application is, it will hide the little bumps here and there for sure.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Given the gear bay doors a sanding and it looks hopeful. I'll throw on some primer and see for certain but I've got my fingers crossed. Rob, I'm certainly hoping that the splinter cammo will be distracting enough to take the eye off any inconsistencies.

The detail on the 3D printed parts is lovely but the quality of some of the prints does seem to be a weak spot for JetMads. When you compare them to the sort of stuff that Laminar Flow Design and others are putting out now they definitely seem a bit crude. I've seen comments that the Stiletto is a whole heap worse than this, so don't seem to be improving unfortunately. 

• Like 4

We have paint!

IMG_20240408_203420.thumb.jpg.f18dba56d7e6bcd23957f20fd073dd8d.jpg

Preshaded using Tamiya XF-63 German Grey so the contrast isn't too stark and then on with MRP 175 Swedish Army Blue-Grey. Definitely liking the MRP - no thinning, coverage is good, only 3 half cups to cover all this and the smell isn't nearly as bad as some other lacquers I've tried.

Once this is nice and dry then it'll be mask off the underside and off we go with the splinter!

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Nice progress, what an epic build, definitely way beyond the range of my mental capabilities. :)

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin. I'm hoping a nice plod through it should be enough not to screw things up by rushing. 😆

• Like 1

IMG_20240410_203957.thumb.jpg.3e1697eb589b471e20bce1a3657e08fd.jpg

Masking is on the bottom, so we're ready to start on the upper splinter cammo. I've probably gone a bit OTT here with the masking but I'm only mildly paranoid! Ha.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

There goes the Kabuki :D. I´m the same Gus, I´m a coward, when it comes to large area masking jobs and can´t bring myself to add a stencil with the airbrush, without masking half a square meter around.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, don't know what Tamiya's profit margin is on the Kabuki tape but they must do pretty well out of it. They certainly do well out of me as I've never found the Vallejo or others to be quite as good.

Rob, I still have nightmares of a build a few years back where I touched up a metallic section on the rear of an F-15 having, I thought, masked everywhere necessary and I found overspray on the opposite of the build at the other end of the fuselage! How the hell it got there I've no idea but since then I've always been paranoid about it.

• Like 5

Gus & Rob

I'm in the same boat and have gone through more Tamiya masking tape on the Tomcat then almost any other build, especially with the late painting addons after decaling was done. Sure wish Tamiya would sell stock in their Kabuki Tape Div.

:rolleyes: 

• Like 4

I also recommend Tesa professional tape, which is a tiny bit less flexible and a tad stronger adhesive than Tamiya Kabuli, but works perfectly.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I also recommend Tesa professional tape, which is a tiny bit less flexible and a tad stronger adhesive than Tamiya Kabuli, but works perfectly.

Cheers Rob 

… for a fraction of the price of Tamiya ;)

Hubert

• Like 3