The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Tamiya Spitfire IXc; UPDATE: 8/6/24: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Tidy and precise as ever Peter.

Only ever built one Spitfire in my life, I guess the time has come? After looking over the Border Fw190 (in stash) I might wait for their Vb, with full engine etc on preorder for £57.50 here in UK……..that price sounds good to me compared with double for a Tamiya offering……..time will tell……

• Like 2

Excellent progress, Peter. The front office looks fantastic. Makes me want to start a Spitfire as well. I have a Kotare one and two Eduard XIV´s in 48 scale.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Thanks Phil, very much appreciated. Over the years, Spitfires have been growing on me and this is my 6th 32nd scale Spit, with four being Tamiya kits. 

The price sounds mighty good for the Border kit, which includes the RR Merlin. I'm not so much concerned about the 1/35th scale of the Border kit but have read a number of reviews and there seemed to be quite a few issues with the kit. I don't have the kit, so I can't confirm any of the issues first hand. 

Kotare is accepting pre-orders on their Spitfire Mk Va and I'll be all over the kit. Of course, it will not include a Merlin engine which is just fine with me, as three of my Spits have Merlin's uncowled and I'm pretty sure this one will also be with the engine cowlings off.  

• Like 1

Rob, very much appreciated, as Tamiya kits for me are a joy to build and my vote would be for the Kotare Spitfire. I built the Kotare Spitfire when it was first released, a gem and the equal of Tamiya, less the Merlin, which was a huge plus for me. Between my Tamiya Spitfires, Mustangs and Mossie, I have 6 builds with their Merlin's proudly displayed and , including the current build. 

I'm eagerly waiting for the new Korae Spitfire Mk Va to be released and it surely will move right to the front of to be build list. 

• Like 2

FUSELAGE AND WINGS

WORKING AWAY

Steady progress and with the front office completed, the last two remaining parts were added and the fuselage halves were glued together and taped, left to dry for a good 48 hours. When the tape was removed, the seams were cleaned up and panel lines restored.

The wings had been started while various parts of the cockpit were being painted, as well as the remaining smaller assemblies were built up and needed time to dry.  

Two areas that have always caused me a lot of extra work on the previous Tamiya Spitfires I've built and this build was no exception:  the MG/canon ammo covers on the top and bottom of the wings and no matter how careful I was in fitting the MG/canon leading edge inserts into the wings, the fit was far from perfect, with the inner dual canons inserts the worst offenders of each group. I’m still in the process of refining the canon inserts fit and removing any stray sanding marks from the wings.

The wing tips were built up and glued into place and some cleanup will be needed to blend in the seams.  

I’m only starting to test the wing/fuselage alignment and fit and so far, so good.

gCiCX2.jpg

wz2UbV.jpg

Q3r70K.jpg

• Like 6

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya Spitfire IXc; UPDATE: 7/10/24: FUSELARGE AND WINGS

HI Chris

Not really. What shows in the photographs is where I cleaned up seams and fit issues, especially on the wings. Prior to priming, I'll wet sand the entire model with either 8000 or 12,000 grit, then wipe the model down with a very lightly damp paper towel with isopropanol to remove any traces of sanding dust. From that point on, I wear cotton gloves when handling the model. One reason I go to this extent is I do not wash the parts to remove mold release agents. It's just my way of working and most likely way over the top.

I've been very lucky; as in my way of thinking, it helps prevent the primer and or paint from lifting - which I don't ever remember happening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

One reason I go to this extent is I do not wash the parts to remove mold release agents.

I never pre-wash styrene. I've never seen excessive mold release, but more importantly, I'm going to cover the model with oily finger prints before it's finished. Then I to give the model a through wash down with isopropyl before primer/paint

• Like 2

Thanks Rob, very much appreciated. I just find that preparing the model for primer these days has a few much-needed steps to help remove fingerprints, oils and hidden sanding dust. Of course, somehow, some always seems to evade my efforts and then need to be dealt with after priming. Just give it my best and move on.

• Like 3

Peter, looking great as usual!  Nice to have a cooperative kit!

Interesting reading the discussion on IPA.  I have been soaking parts in dish soap water, but the point about oily fingerprints while handling the model makes a lot of sense.  I usually prime with Mr. Surfacer and have never had it lift off, but I might keep the IPA step in mind as part of my prep.  I do wash my hands incessantly before touching the model to help keep oils, Cheetos-dust, etc. off the model.

• Like 2

Mike, thanks so much, as it is a pleasure to work on a kit that isn't loaded with poorly fitting parts and vague instructions. 

I used to soak and wash the kit frets and parts in dawn for a good few hours, then go through the rinsing and drying procedure years ago but with 32nd scale everything is so large, it became a lot of work, so I settled into the routine I am still using. I don't think it matters how the kit parts are cleaned, just that somewhere before priming, the mold release agents are removed. I also agree that the quality of the primer is so very important in 'biting' into the plastic, so it can do its job.  Once I'm into the various painting stages, I will use my Tamiya anti-static brush to give the model a quick dusting between coats, trying to keep the painted surfaces as clean as I can. Sometimes it works fantastically and sometimes it doesn't, as some dust /sanding particles find their way into the paint.  

Oh, the joys of painting.

• Like 4

GOODBYE MERLIN 

I’ve tossed and turned for nights trying to decide if I wanted my Spitfire with the engine cowlings on or off and its Merlin engine on display as well. Looking at my finished Tamiya 32nd scale Spitfires in the display case, all three have the cowlings off and their Merlin’s displayed. Obviously both my Kotare and Revell Spitfires have their cowlings closed as no engines came with the kits and honestly, I prefer their clean lines. So, after building the kit's Merlin, I decided to just use it as the support for the engine cowlings and it's time to say, Goodbye Merlin. So that’s the decision, which will show off the Spitfires beautiful lines.

1qa5wf.jpg

eENkRt.jpg

Test fitting the four major cowl panels and the fit isn't that great. Looking at photographs of the actual Spitfires, a good portion of the cowlings aren't that great of a fit as well. 

LqK1Xu.jpg

uMI8d6.jpg

• Like 9

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya Spitfire IXc; UPDATE: 7/16/24: GOODBYE MERLIN

Sensible decision I think Peter. I've only built one Tamiya Spitfire, the MkXVIe, and I know they have a stellar reputation but I was rather underwhelmed by the cowling fit and how fiddly the engineering was. I prefer my models closed up and I think I'd definitely go the Kotare route in future if they ever produce a mark I'm interested in - come on Griffon engine....

• Like 4

Gus

Completely agree. While a a registered Tamiya fan Boy, the cowling panels were really meant to be left off or help in place with magnets. Their P-51 removable cowl panels fit a lot better as I have two of my three Mustangs closed up. Right with you in that now that I'm over with showing the Merlin's and engines in general, The Kotari Spitfire is at the top of my Spitfire list and I'm eagerly waiting their Spit Mk V to be released.

• Like 4

Peter,  I hear you on the display-or-not debate regarding the engines.  I built three Tamiya Mustangs, all with removable cowlings and did up the engines, and I never take the cowlings off unless I'm showing one to someone, which is rare.  I also built two Revell Mustangs without engines, and I enjoyed those immensely as the cockpits are a delight of detail and it was a much faster build.

I think the 'poor' fit of the cowlings really is reminiscent of the actual aircraft - kind of like the oil canning found on some aircraft.  Cant wait to see how yours turns out.

• Like 5

Chris, right with you as I have the same issue with my Tamiya Mustangs, out of three built, one with the cowlings off and two permanently glued on. Once a model is in my display case, it's never touched as dust is not a problem and rarely when someone wishes to see my collection, they are amazed that I actually built the models, look and leave after a few minutes. Such is just the opposite when company looks and has wonderful comments about my photography. Seems unless you are actually a model builder or a pilot, most people just have very little interest in them.

• Like 2

Merlin or not, she will be a beauty, Peter. I like the shape of the Spitfire as well unobstructed. I have two Eduard 1/48 MK XVI in stash and one will be build closed and gear up, the other with the full Brassin galore, engine, cockpit, ... . The Kotare Spit will naturally be closed up and maybe hit the bench soon.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Rob

We're right on the same page and looking forward to those upcoming projects.

I'm patiently waiting for Kotare's next Spitfire release, the Mk V, to be released late this fall. I enjoyed building their Spitfire Mk1a (mid) kit as the detail and finished model rivals Tamiya in every aspect except including a engine, which at this stage of the game, I really don't want and am happy none is included wih the kit.

• Like 1

Nice work on the Spitfire Peter. I'm just catching up on your progress. 

It's unfortunate that Tamiya didn't choose the route that Border did with the Lanc and provide a dummy engine for those who want the cowlings all buttoned up. I've found you can get away with the basic block, supercharger and cylinder banks. Everything else can be left off. 

• Like 4