Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Hs 129B-2 by Hobby 2000 (Hasegawa) 1/48 -- two different dioramas

Hey Kevin - the one that Chris pointed out might be a panel line given how straight it is, though it's not shown on the panel/rivet line diagrams that Martin forwarded.  The one to the left of the cut out definitely seems to be a flaw from the mold though given its shape.  There's a similar one on the other fuselage half, but it's not symmetrical to the first one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Thanks Chris - and good eye, I didn't see that second line!  I think it might only be visible on high magnification but I'll keep an eye out now that I know about it.  I'll try a coat of primer to see if the lines are visible and then go from there.  Maybe a light dabbing of Mr. Putty will do the trick.  Thanks!

Dust n dirt go a long way to covering stuff up ....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I wonder if they're flow lines from the injection moulding process? The odd angle on the one between the two hatches would suggest that to me. 

100% my guess,  too fast ejection cycling / poor cooling leads to warping / failed flow lines. 

Re pops are often a bit of guesswork for the moulder, the tools were designed for one machine then adapted for another. The moulder who banged them out for 5 years learnt to get it right , the guy just whacking out one run for a client has less knowledge and has to guess more at the parameters , plus the tools been used 'n maybe abused before him .

I've moved injection and thermoforming tools from Manufacturer A to Manufacturer B in my time ....it's rarely a slam dunk , and often easier to let the new guy make his own tool ...also much easier when you are making 1m impressions of some simple packaging design & not 10,000 of a model kit . 😀

• Like 4

I don't mean to be too critical of the kits.  The Hobby 2000 is 25 years older than the second kit from Hasegawa that I bought, and both otherwise have excellent fit.  At least on these kits, the issue is very minor and should be easily remedied.

Any estimates on how many print runs can come off these releases?  It always amazes me how many old kits from the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. are still floating around.

• Like 2

Thanks Peter!  It took quite a bit of time to work on the kit and aftermarket pieces to get them to work together, but the remainder of the build should be fairly painless.  There are only nine instruction steps for assembly, and the fit on the kit is very nice - I'll need minimal filler it looks like.  Probably the trickiest part will be the painting.  Definitely a different type of build than the JRS-1 I just completed.  Maybe I need to add more Hasegawa kits to the stash. 🤔

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress on the two Hs 129s.  The first one with all the aftermarket has taken quite a bit of time to get the detail pieces installed.  The CMK sets individually fit well, but there is quite a bit of work to make them all fit together.

Here is the CMK cockpit set - I still need to add wires between the seat armor plate and the firewall for the fuel tank.  I also have to finish up painting the seat belts:

IMG_1630.thumb.JPG.95709464a759d305e08a55fc41ebd4e9.JPG

Here it is installed with the fuselage halves closed.  Took quite a bit of time test fitting to get the fuselage halves to close properly, but eventually I got there:

IMG_1635.thumb.JPG.95da15850ca2db823558219a3e0a0dc3.JPG

Left side of the fuselage showing the MG 151 (from Aires set) and FuG 7 radio (from CMK armament set):

IMG_1633.thumb.JPG.89f5a672f7ebd40860525f0fe59ff2fe.JPG

Right fuselage with open luggage compartment (from CMK armament set):

IMG_1634.thumb.JPG.359c25d8a8de90e50e8886af1133b96d.JPG

I also closed up the fuselage on the second Hs 129.  Because the cockpit was covered in a tarp in the picture I'm reproducing, I didn't do much in the cockpit aside from adding the cockpit tub.  The fit on the kit is incredible - the two fuselage halves and the tub snapped together perfectly!  The only other change I made was to (1) cut off the rudder, since I have a one-piece rudder in the Verlinden set, and (2) close up the insertion points for the horizontal stabilizers/elevators, since those were left off the Hs 129 as it was being towed.  Can't really see it well in the picture, but I inserted a piece of plastic strip, with three holes drilled out as seen in some of the pictures of wrecked Hs 129s.

IMG_1632.thumb.JPG.2d67cca32c5509d068b2c32f7ae72524.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Been very busy Mike , both are looking great. I didn;t realise how small an aircraft they were .

Yeah, I was surprised how small it was when I opened the box.  I was originally planning to get one of the Zoukei Mura offerings, but thought it would be a huge model in 1/32.  I haven't worked on too many planes, but it's not much bigger than the FM-1 Wildcat I built a year or two ago - maybe just a wider wingspan.

Given the size, maybe I'll go for the ZM offering in the future.  They have a B-2 version similar to the ones I'm working on, and also a B-3 with the big BK 7.5 cannon.  I'd love to build another in a winter camo scheme.  This zebra pattern looks really cool to me:

image.png.b51c3044e2f812000aa3ac5263e03267.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Mike

Holy Cow, your progress is amazing, and the CMK interior set looks incredible - details are amazing.

No question they are so different in execution then the Big Sikorsky and the painting is going to be a whole new ballgame. 

Thanks Peter!  The kit is a repop of a 25+ year old Hasegawa kit, but wow, I'm not used to parts fitting together so well.  The cockpit tub and fuselage halves just snap all together for a very tight fit.  If building the kit out of the box, you don't need much filler at all, except maybe to deal with seam lines.  

The CMK sets offer a ton of detail.  I forget where I found the detail sets, but someone was offering most of them as part of a package for a fairly low price.  I ended up adding a bunch more from Aires, Verlinden, and Taurus engines, so probably spent as much on the two kits and AM as I would have if I had just bought the Z-M kit.  The Z-M kit looks really nice, and offers you plenty of options for open hatches, engines, etc., which makes it a lot easier as you don't have to modify third-party AM to fit.  If I had known this plane was this small, I probably would have just gone with the Z-M kit.  That being said, it's been a lot of fun building the Hasegawa kit - definitely a different experience from the JRS-1!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Thanks Rob!  yeah, it's a really cramped cockpit.  Definitely not ideal if you were claustrophobic!

image.png.fe1d832333458d753a4590c7acbbf41f.png

Wow, that is a tight cockpit.

Would suit my mum as she drives her car with her nose on top of the steering wheel! 😁

• Haha 3