The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Idea: Large Scale Ships

So we have planes and armour, isn't it a nice idea to add Large Scale Ships (LSS)? :ph34r:

My idea of LSS...small vessels (like patrol boats) and submarines 1/72 or bigger.

Mini subs 1/35 or bigger.

Capital ships 1/250 or bigger (1/350 is maybe too much standard or mainstream....dunno).

There's a fairly wide range of large ship models out there and perhaps it's a good idea to add a small dedicated naval forum section.

Just an idea

:sofa:

• Like 3

I do think this is a great idea. I like to build many different types of models and dislike the fact that some are not allowed here. I said this before and will again. As a forum, we are alienating a large portion of the model building community. Large scale ships would be a wonderful addition to this fine forum. Large scale anything for that matter. I do believe 1/350 should be allowed but that should be the lower limit. Let's see some 1/35 mini-subs or 1/35 torpedo boats. Italeri comes to mind. 1/200 Arizona, Bismarck and Missouri. All large scale examples from both Great Wars! Now that would be "Large Scale Modeller".

Paul

• Like 1

I like the idea! But....... (Yes, there's always one with me...! ;) ) If we allow big ships in a smaller scales (anything smaller than 1/35 as is the current framwework), we could get the same request for smaller scales for the larger aircraft. I have drawn the line with the 1/32 B-25, a 4-engined bomber in 1/32? Isn't going to happen in my house! But you could get my enthousiasm flowing with 1/48 for 4-engined bombers... See where I'm heading? There have been discussions about 1/48 and Large Scale enough in the past and I for one would not like to see it flaring up again.

Not that I don't love ships in the smaller scales or aircraft in 1/48th but a year ago the choice was made: 1/35 and above.... As it is we have enough to do; the armour side is growing, but it still needs to grow some more. I don't know how busy a LSS-section would be or how many WIP's it would generate. You want the section to be lively enough that there are some updates every week or so.

If I sound negative; sorry, not my intention at all! As said; I like the idea but I do see some bears on the road....

• Like 1

Let me get this straight. You want more activity from armor? But no activity from anything else? Are you saying ships will cut into the room here for armor? To me they are mutually exclusive. A lot of aircraft modellers don't build aircraft and vice versa. So you want to grow the forum with more armor. Awesome! To the exclusion of anybody else that might build all genres. Awesome again! So, what bears are on the road? The only bears I see are those of exclusion. Grow the forum? Not at this rate.

Sorry I don't agree. I have said this before. I build everything that catches my desire in modelling. I may not post here a lot but this is the only forum I post on. And this is one of the reasons I don't post here a lot more. I thought I was lucky to get to post my 1/35 Trumpeter locomotive. I am also building the Partworks all metal Japanese locomotive and have plans to do their 1/240 Akagi. Also doing Revell's 1/72 Flower Class Corvette. I am perfectly happy just building and not posting at all. But I am not the only one that thought this forum was one of the best there was.

This can be the best forum there is....and is heading that way,if not already arrived, Yes,I would love to see ships,yes personally I would like to see 1 48 multi engine.....but above all else,I am happy to abide by what these poor buggers that run this site do for us,

• Like 1

Great idea Beychevelle totally agree that different scales would be needed for classes of vessels. As a r/c model boat builder 1/72 is a small scale but even at this scale Bismark would be over 11-00ft long and I don/t see the wife allowing it on the mantle piece I think this requires a little more research but I do like the idea. regards Bill....

Okey, fair enough, perhaps consider this: a forum section for other builds by members.

Make it visible for registered members only, call it "the gutter", "unspeakable small other stuff", "unworthy builds" or whatever.

This way members who do a side step to something else still can hang around and show what they're doing on the side.

Imho this can help to keep forum dwellers here...instead of wandering off when they want to do something else on the side or in between "LSM approved" builds.

@PAnderson...when you Google HMS Campanula, you'll stumble upon my (still unfinished :() Flower build for sure :rolleyes:

• Like 1

We have a sister site, Model Ship World for you guys and gals that like nautical stuff.

www.modelshipworld.com

Is that a nautical hat you are wearing in your photo James?.....And thankyou again for this amazing site.

• Administrators

Scale plastic & rail has a maritime section that would fit the requirement but I can/t get on it .they have a login but I can find no registration section Bill.....

SP&R is a reviews-based site only, with no public registrations.