The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Powdered Weathering Pastels (What do you use?)

RalphSarc

I also posted this on my FB group.

Question: I've been using Vallego washes but interested in using powdered weathering pastels. I see that Tamiya makes several weathering kits but I'm unsure concerning these products as I've never used them.
What do you use??

A7872CB4-2ABD-4BAD-BA3F-75F09471D7CB_zps

• Like 1

Ralph,

I use the Tamiya sets and they are sort of like applying make-up. It is a dry firm powder. They come with a small applicator with a sponge on one end and a brush on the other. Dab the sponge into the "make-up" and gently brush it over the area. It will leave some of the "powder" behind. You can then use the brush to remove some to reach the desired level. If you moisten the applicator it will leave a heavier deposit that is a bit harder to remove but can be useful.

I have had these for a while and used them with reasonable results. I think they may have been surpassed now by the new range of weathering powders and such from MIG and AK. I hope this helps.

Kent

• Like 1

I use the Tamiya sets... The Exhuast stains on the F4U are done with them.

DSC03537.jpg

You can use the stuff dry or wet.

Jeez Dave I thought they were airbrushed.........noice!!

Ralph, you can also buy pastels from the art supply shop. They usually have a huge range of colours, just use a blade to scrape off what you need.

Cheers Bevan

• Like 1

I used a new product on my recent Wildcat build, PanPastels. This stuff is similar to the Tamiya weathering sets and comes in a large variety of good weathering colours. I found them to be excellent.

I did a full review on my FB page, Facebook.com/Alpine Scale Modelling, if you want to check them out.

Chris.

• Like 1

I used a new product on my recent Wildcat build, PanPastels. This stuff is similar to the Tamiya weathering sets and comes in a large variety of good weathering colours. I found them to be excellent.

I did a full review on my FB page, Facebook.com/Alpine Scale Modelling, if you want to check them out.

Chris.

Thanks Chris. I had seen PanPastels weathering products on eBay last night as I was doing some brand research. You review on FB was very helpful indeed. I'm going to visit my local hobby shop tomorrow to investigate further. Do you have to set the pastels with anything and will they move when Future is applied?

Ralph,

I use the Tamiya sets and they are sort of like applying make-up. It is a dry firm powder. They come with a small applicator with a sponge on one end and a brush on the other. Dab the sponge into the "make-up" and gently brush it over the area. It will leave some of the "powder" behind. You can then use the brush to remove some to reach the desired level. If you moisten the applicator it will leave a heavier deposit that is a bit harder to remove but can be useful.

I have had these for a while and used them with reasonable results. I think they may have been surpassed now by the new range of weathering powders and such from MIG and AK. I hope this helps.

Kent

Kent.

I saw Tamiya's weathering products last night on eBay. I'm headed to the hobby shop tomorrow to further my investigation. While I've been pleased with the liquid washes I can see that I'm nearing the skill level where I need more control and precise application. Especially when it comes to nightfighters and shading and bring interest to black, lol!!

Happy with MIG pigments.  Always a work in progress for me.  I use for exhaust stains and powder burns supplemented with a prior application of really thinned Tamiya Clear Smoke.

2db7e22c-306c-47ad-ac46-aa66bdd2bd19.jpg

Wheel_GunDetail03.jpg

Powder burns and dirt on wheels.  Less is good.

• Like 1

I need to digress a little from my statement. 90% MIG Productions use do I. (Dr. Seuss or Yoda, take your pick) I do dabble a little with Tamiya Clear Smoke and their Weathering sets. I have a little problem with the weathering sets as it seems difficult to get the product from case to subject. Once in a while I'll break out the Rust-All.

The problem I have come across using pastels is that they are colored chalk. Any type of overcoat and "POOF!", their gone. Pigments are actually dried and refined paint and will hold up to clear coats. In my experience that is. 

Nothing but MIG powders. To me, they are the easiest to use and most forgiving. With the exception of a thin black wash and light tan overspray with my airbrush, my Tamiya Spitfire, (in the completed builds thread), was weathered exclusively with MIG.

• Administrators

Ralph,

Kent

Ditto. I have all the sets and love them. I can't work without them :)

14.jpg

• Like 2

Wow as usual you guys never let me down! Looks like I need to experiment with Tamiya, MIG and PanPastels and see which works the best.

Headed to the hobby shop tomorrow and will post the results of that visit. Looking forward to applying the pastels to the Ju88!!

Another hobby skill door has open for me, lol!!

• Like 1

Kent, I alway use a paint bush to apply the Tamiya weathering sets... The brush that is supplied is just crap!

Wet or dry... depends how its going on... The F4U Exhaust stains was dry... But the HK B-25 I did were wet.

• Like 3

Ralph,

I oversprayed the PanPastels with Vallejo matt varnish. As they are high pigment paint based they do hold their colour very well when varnished. If you scrub them in well enough though, you don't have to varnish at all if you don't want to. They will stick well enough on their own.

Chris.

Kent, I alway use a paint bush to apply the Tamiya weathering sets... The brush that is supplied is just crap!

Wet or dry... depends how its going on... The F4U Exhaust stains was dry... But the HK B-25 I did were wet.

How do you seal it once finished?

I'm even going to start venturing into MIG filters/washes and oils.

Paul, when you do, could you possibly do a quick run down on how well they work? I'm curious, but nobody near me carries them. Hate to order something I may not like.