The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Thank you for all the nice comments ...

ENGINE INSTALL

Weathering round one on the R2800's.  Installed the Russian Jugs heart and dealt with the 4 piece cowling.

EngineMount01.jpg

real happy with the look...

EngineMount02.jpg

the cowling was indeed a PITA in set and glue...

EngineMount03.jpg

cowling alignment at bottom stays good...

EngineMount04.jpg

prop test fit looks good...

EngineMount05.jpg

I sit back and admire the engine and give myself an "atta boy" on getting the cowling alignment resolved with a real nice fit.  scanning around the desk I see...

EngineMount06.jpg

WTF?.....

EngineMount07.jpg

are you fracking kidding me?  Glue has already set &^#$%^*!%@#%$!&(@#@%!

Truly considered cracking the engine off.  The reality is, only I will know its missing.  Flawed assembly will stay as is.

MASK & PRIME

I just love this little cutter.

EngineMask01.jpg

Mask cut out for engine.

EngineMask02.jpg

A few cuts added to give some flexibility when crammed inside the cowling.

EngineMask03.jpg

A little liquid mask to seal potential openings for paint to enhance my angst.

FullPrimer01.jpg

All primed up.  The cowling seams will be toned down with some light sandpaper.  The port side is a much cleaner fit.

Canopy and windscreen masked.  Gunsight and windscreen will be installed tomorrow then mask the pit and begin pre shading.

• Like 1

Guest styrenedemon

That's looking really good. I like that circle cutter. Four piece cowl? Why!?!?! Lol. That would drive me nuts, but it looks good to me.

• Like 1

MASK & PAINT & MASK & PAINT

Primer complete and the canopy removed to mask the pit.  My focus on this build is to really pay attention to pre shade and be careful not to completely cover pre shade efforts as I did with the P80B.  I remember Matt telling me, "if you think it's not enough coverage...stop!"

pre shade complete now on to paint...

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

breaking out my HS Evolution I applied Vallejo Medium Sea Grey 71.049 on lower surfaces....fter a 24 hr cure I broke out the Simply Tacky putty and masked the demarcation then hit the upper surfaces with Vallejo Olive Drab 71.043.  stuck the Jug in the fridge for 30 minutes and removed the putty...

IMG_4437.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4439.jpg

me thinks I should have stopped with one less coat....

applied Alclad Klear Kote and was not that happy with the performance.  pressure was 18-20psi, no more than 2 inches away from painting surface and applied in 3 thin coats.  the Klear seemed to spot randomly on the surface in a very uneven method...

the pre shade did show up better after the gloss and I suspect will fade after the sludge, wash and dull coats...

IMG_4443.jpg

after 24hr cure using Scale Percision Mask I masked the USAAF National Insignias and blocked out serial number painted using Tamiya Deep Green XF-26 removed masks and freehanded the edges of insignias and serial number block....  then masked and painted outline around the intercooler vents Vallejo Off White 70.820...

IMG_4446.jpg

underside USAAF National Insignia got same treatment using a mix of Tamiya Light Blue XF-23 and Neutral Grey XF-53 12:1...another coat of Klear Kote for decal prep...

IMG_4449.jpg

next will be decal applications and a final gloss coat....then weathering.

• Like 2

Looking solid, Rick! I'd say you maintained the preshade quite well.

Sorry to hear about the Alclad. Why are clear glosses such a nightmare?

thanks Matt and yes, really frustrating.  kinda gives me the "willys" when I know "Slick Chick" will be getting Alclad NMF.

Rick,

Looking real good! Your jug is coming together nicely. I also like how you've recycled your bottom brackets to support your models. One hobby helping another.

Cheers,

Wayne

ha, ha...thanks Wayne.

you are indeed a cyclists!  one thing I learned is BB with ceramic bearings are not worth the expense.  mine barely lasted one race season.

I used a broken carbon spoke to reinforce the beach trolley on my A6M2-N Rufe:

A6M2-N_TrollyStrengthCutCarbon01.jpg

A6M2-N_TrollyStrengthCA01.jpg

the trolley was made out of resin and not very stiff.  When placing completed plane (with solid resin main float) on trolley I was concerned with potential sagging issues.

thanks for the positive comment... PM me always happy to talk bikes.

Rick,

That's a great idea about re-using the carbon spokes.  I have a couple of those lying around in my shop and can't seem to throw them away knowing full well that someday I will need them for something.

Wayne

• Like 1

DECALS

Decals gives this Jug a unique look.  National markings and stencils applied.

The P-47D-s were factory shipped from NY via the southern lend lease route. They were assembled near Basrah, Persia at the Abadan port and air base.  They were flown by Russian pilots to the USSR on the Abadan-Teheran-Kirovabad route, about1500km.

The planes were handed to the air regiment which trained the crews and deployed the planes to the units.  A technical platoon (able to speak and understand English) checked the machines, removed radio and electronics not compatable with Russian military or air regiment.  The soviet national insignia was painted by the platoon

I'll post more data when I post finished Jug pics.  Will start weathering in a few days.

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4461.jpg

• Like 1

Guest styrenedemon

Really unique markings how they just painted over the stars and bars like that. Really adds some interest to the model. Can't wait for more. 

Guest styrenedemon

Looks good.

Jamme, the Flory washes are really nice and very simple to use.

• Like 1

Looks good.

Jamme, the Flory washes are really nice and very simple to use.

Yes, I used Tamiya on my spit, but gonna give a try on this Flory ones.

I think I saw Grant has them on stock.

Cheers,

Jamme

Yes, I used Tamiya on my spit, but gonna give a try on this Flory ones.

I think I saw Grant has them on stock.

Cheers,

Jamme

I used MiG on my TBD build about a year ago and was happy with the results, albeit it was difficult to work with.  Passed on a sludge wash on the Rufe, my bad.  Used Flory on my P80 and was really pleased.  Easy, user friendly, water based...do overs allowed. 

The RU Jug came out nice and I will be posting pics soon.  This stuff is so simple and easy to use, it's genius!