The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

F-16C Barak

Just to show I haven't just been lurking on here since I finished the Eagle a few weeks ago. This is the Tamiya F-16CJ kit which I'm going to build as an Israeli F-16C Barak as I want to try some scratch building and the Isracast conversion now seems to be extinct. I have a copy of the instructions from the set and I'm going to try and replicate it as best I can using Evergreen stock.

58f512c5debfd_F16Barak.thumb.jpg.53b28ae7c2425188570eb626bb9b0dc3.jpg

This is the airframe I'm hoping to build. A First Jet squadron aircraft from the late 1990s with a loadout of JDAMs, Python 4 and AIM-9L.

I've started as the instructions indicate with the engine. I don't intend to have it on display but I'm giving it full attention just to practice more with the various metallics. Just needs weathered now which hopefully will get done at the weekend.

DSCF4163.thumb.JPG.04ddf3a3dd862e3a8ec5be1aa323717b.JPG

DSCF4164.thumb.JPG.9fdd29499b601104586e607155b2a6d8.JPG

DSCF4168.thumb.JPG.d5f2b594fc3be39c39ac1db4809dc0bc.JPG

DSCF4167.thumb.JPG.17d5cd104045c9c41bd596ef7c1487cd.JPG

Down the interior was done with various Gunze and Tamiya acrylics then weathered with Tamiya pastels and Ammo panel line washes which darken things up without being too stark. The exterior is mainly Vallejo Metal Color pale burnt metal and jet exhaust with the steel sections done using the Uschi powders. Detail then picked out in Tamiya acrylics. I'm fairly happy with how it looks so far but don't want to go too heavy on the weathering which might be a challenge.

As ever, all suggestions, etc welcome.

DSCF4168.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Further progress made on the interior and I'll post some pics soon but had a bit of an airbrush issue so progress on hold.

Was airbrushing with Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver and thinned with Mr Levelling in the usual ratio - went down ok giving a nice finish but the airbrush is now completely gunked up with what appears to be pigment that's fallen out of suspension. Now sitting stripped down for a deep clean.

Anyone else had this issue? First time Tamiya acrylics have done this to me so rather p****d off.  :wallbash:

Okay, so interior now at a point for a few more pics. Everything is now ready to start gluing and screwing things into place, so most of this will be hidden soon but nice to record it as it goes.

DSCF4177.thumb.JPG.42939f8742f07f5a7a9e8c8abb23498a.JPG

First, the completed engine and lower fuselage interior. Don't think I'll open the access hatch to the cannon but I've painted it anyway to give me the option later.

DSCF4178.thumb.JPG.46210af22a1e35344546297fe4ed099b.JPG

Various engine cradle parts, etc and the rear intake trunking and main gear bay. I'm going to try the technique of pouring latex paint into the front section of the intake to see how that goes but for this rear section I'm just going to join the painted halves and touch up from there.

Progress has been fairly slow as I had a big birthday last week and was otherwise occupied, so should speed up from here. Hopefully have some pics of the goodies I received from the wife and kids soon. 

Gus

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi Dennis, progress has been steady but I've had issues getting pics to upload. Construction is almost done, just need to do some work to get the IDF ECM pod at the base of the tail added. Will try and borrow my daughter's camera to get some pics.

Cheers, Gus

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BACK IN BLACK!

Well, sorted out the camera issues and using the hosting on here rather than PB, so here's the progress.

DSCF4233.thumb.JPG.9f5cbd9f790bd56179d9f8ace208ad9e.JPG

DSCF4234.thumb.JPG.2325e5c61318c410d43b5c9621c933f8.JPG

DSCF4236.thumb.JPG.60d91904f9ea2857ef01e664afc6a1ae.JPG

DSCF4238.thumb.JPG.b085b65d1d77a0be978333378cd5f69a.JPG

Everything primed up using Mr Surfacer 1500 thinned with Mr Levelling. Load out will be Sidewinders, Python 4, JDAMs and wing and centre-line tanks. Decided to close everything up, so unfortunately no decent pictures of the cockpit.

Next step is to give the whole airframe a buff up with some fine grit so it's ready for the first colour.

Going to use the Mig Ammo IDF colours which will be a new adventure so I'll probably drag out the old paint mule to try some thinning ratios, etc. Have the Mig thinner but I'm tempted to see how it goes using the Mr Levelling as it just always seems to work. Any comments on that thought would be welcome.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well had the first run with the Ammo paints tonight and I am seriously impressed. Found they tended to 'bead' slightly with their own thinner but lightly thinned with Mr Levelling they,went down like silk. However the beading may have been down to the glossy surface on the paint mule. Pigment is very fine and they can be highly thinned and give a very nice satin finish. Think I will definitely use these again.

Will start on the F16 tomorrow, pictures to follow.

• Like 1

Just a quick update after some work on the F16 itself. Have to say I'm loving using these Ammo paints.

DSCF4241.thumb.JPG.613f05fbd8fd1a23c9e23e07ef474a47.JPG

The colour looks a little 'blue' in these with the flash and the mottling isn't as apparent to the naked eye but they give a very smooth satin finish.

DSCF4242.thumb.JPG.95b5c4695d9158cfb9386e7a71d03ef6.JPG

DSCF4243.thumb.JPG.81137204084e16fb2c11ffb7e1ca368b.JPG

Second one is without flash just to try and show the difference and this next one is to try and show the nice finish.

DSCF4244.thumb.JPG.322739135094a8f1a86474332295b0b0.JPG

Anyway, I'm happy with what I've got so far. Next it's on to the top colours and this is where I get a bit confused. Not sure whether it's best to start with the darkest or lightest colour - I've seen both approaches in other people's work and I'm not sure of the pros and cons of each. My inclination is to start with the lightest as it has the largest surface area and work from there but if anyone has suggestions as to a better approach I'm open for ideas.

Cheers, Gus

• Like 1

Nice lookin' paint job Gus.                                                                                                                                                                                                                  The Maz looks way different depending on the light also.

When I paint my projects, I approach each piece as an individual, however I usually start light-to-dark.  The light colors are easier to cover than dark colors.

• Like 1

Hi Gus,

I start to see the finish line of your F-16 and it will be a nice one for sure.
Is that liquid mask you use for the canopy a Mr. Hobby one? I had my issues with that stuff on clear parts, causing a little blinding of the transparencies. But maybe that is because I'm a slow worker and sometime it takes a month or two for the mask to get removed. Any way I'm interested in your experiences after removing the sticky stuff.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Rich, that confirms my kind of plan to start with the Sand as the lightest colour, so I'm going to go for that and see how I go.

Rob, yes that is the Mr Hobby mask. I've only used it to cover any gaps between the kabuki tape so hopefully there shouldn't be too much in any direct contact with the clear parts. The tape parts that Tamiya supply have good overlaps so this should just be a bit of overkill. I did something similar with my F15 and I don't recall any issues and I'm also pretty slow. Fingers crossed anyway. 

Gus

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress with this build. 

First two colours are on and I'm hoping to get the final Earth brown down tomorrow night.

DSCF4246.thumb.JPG.033a4c1dc1373d0f1006346a27b2ac48.JPGDSCF4247.thumb.JPG.da3a3291df6ef9f05eb0a596326c4582.JPG

Photos with and without flash but to be honest there isn't much difference. Really have to get better at the photography at some point but the fun for me is in the build and painting, not the photos.

Have to say the Ammo paints are very impressive - thin well, spray nicely and good coverage. The ball bearing stirrers are a nice touch as well, saves searching for cocktail sticks and lots of tedious stirring.

Hopefully will have some more pictures after the weekend.

Hi Gus,
can't wait to see the camo finished. The black is the leftout brown I guess, no need for black camouflage in desert like surroundings . I love that ball bearing stirrers so much, I added them to almost all my paints, if there is a shortage of ball bearings in the world, you know where you have to point your finger.

Cheers Rob