The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Just bobbing in with a brief update . The '79 GS1000 now has a few hundred miles under it's belt . I'm absolutely loving it , the laid back power delivery , the nostalgia . She's a loyal old thing , esp given being parked up for a long time . 

So far , new tyres , new chain and sprockets, a lot of new bearings , changed the oil, been over the brakes & replaced the fluid,  replaced the tacho, fixed the fuel gauge sender , balanced carbs etc . Wiring is pretty good , unmolested , and it charges the battery which was Suzi's big weak point in this era. Points and condensers working fine , so won't be swapping them out, just bought a strobe light for the first time in 20 years .. 🙃

Original colour was the dark blue ( as found under the tank hidden away) so a fresh coat of paint is in the cards as I have had way too many black bikes. These came factory Red or Blue , so the black is someone else's paint job, I won't feel bad about loosing it.

Lol  - me back to 1:1 painting instead of the usual airbrushing on here !

I'm fighting the urge to strip it down for a frame up restoration as I have way too much other stuff to be on with this summer (inc my FJ1200) , but think come winter this will be a prime candidate for some powder coating and fastener plating . I would like to keep it pretty original as there are plenty of modded GS1000's , and the L version wasn't imported to the UK so rare here. I need to find a cissy rail which maybe a hunt for a model made for 2 years only . 

Have fun gents 

Laters PW

Sat in the sun like it's 1988.....

temp-Image-KQDx-IN.avif

Float and Gauge now in communication !

IMG-4885.jpg

Back master got need seals . Good to brake at both ends now . 

temp-Imagex-Ls-G93.avif

temp-Imagel-Uw4z-L.avif

Tyres were old enough to vote ....

IMG_4751.jpg

Seen better days........ no wonder it was making odd schwlerp schwlerp noises on the overun 

temp-Imagex-R0z-BP.avif

• Like 8

Sure is fun tinkering. New iron these days precludes that fun. Personally I’m not a bike guy ( no balls and way too many idiots in cars trying to kill bikers ) but I can sure appreciate them and respect the guys who ride them. Old school is the way to fly. The new ones have obscene power, even the dirt bikes , very cool to see the old school workings… ride safe PW !

Jeff

• Like 5

Guys stop working on your cars and bikes and get back to your bench Jeeeeez … :)

I splurged. just a smidge ,  20x9/10,5.  285/315 rubber

IMG_3455.jpeg

IMG_3456.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 7:12 PM, Martinnfb said:

Wow , that's not a repair, that's a rape. Just because they can.

Yea, it stings a little.  I honestly expected $1400-$1500.  And that was thinking on the high side. Compressor alone was like $900 for a Ford OEM part. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I am still waiting for a set of centre rings and TPMS programmer, but here are some beauty shots anyway. 😈

IMG_3457.jpeg

IMG_3458.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpeg

IMG_3460.jpeg

IMG_3461.jpeg

Sexy!  

• Like 3

I just bought 4 new TPMS units for my Mustang.  Had one go out and I expect the other three will go out soon as well.  I’ve read the 2015 will auto program, so I’m going to take a chance and get them installed sometime this week. 

• Like 3

I could send you mine, they came with the wheels as they were originally on 2023 S550, have to switch them to the S197 style anyway. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I could send you mine, they came with the wheels as they were originally on 2023 S550, have to switch them to the S197 style anyway. 

Very generous!  Thanks.  But no need since I’ve already got my replacements.  And by the time I needed them again in 9-10 years I probably won’t be driving a Mustang at 70 years old.  And I’m sure there’s a shelf life as well. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I am still waiting for a set of centre rings and TPMS programmer, but here are some beauty shots anyway. 😈

IMG_3457.jpeg

IMG_3458.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpeg

IMG_3460.jpeg

IMG_3461.jpeg

Just wondering ( and I probably already know the answer) are you contemplating some small unobtrusive flaps behind those big boots to prevent the sand blasting effect on the rear 1-4’s and front fenders? Not sure a paint blasting to a dull grey would look so great on nice clean ride like this one. Just some small black ones that blend in. Maybe custom fit ones?

Jeff

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Good Question, yes there are many on the market. I was waiting to see how much I am poking out , especially at the rear end. :)

https://gbpperformance.ca/en/mud-flaps/1540026-jlt-performance-x-large-mud-flaps-splash-guards-mustang-gt-gt500-roush-cs-2005-2009.html

image.thumb.jpeg.1b06fcc7c183a9d2d903a4c22211edd2.jpeg

I know that it is not my call, but I put on a beautiful custom fit set on my roadster and they look stock, and are hardly visible....and any sand blasting will be very visible on a dark color, and would, in my mind detract from a clean sharp ride....  keep me posted on what you decide.... inquiring minds want to know ... 😉

• Like 1

Paint correction and tint is on the list for this summer or whatever is that part of the year supposed to be called. Then I deal with trinkets as such :)

• Like 2

On 5/5/2024 at 9:25 PM, ScottsGT said:

I just bought 4 new TPMS units for my Mustang.  Had one go out and I expect the other three will go out soon as well.  I’ve read the 2015 will auto program, so I’m going to take a chance and get them installed sometime this week. 

I've got one sensor that cuts in and out on our '07 Element. Might have to bite the bullet as well and get them swapped out. 

• Like 1