Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

I was really happy to get these done too as they pick up so much dirt and grime. Even got the dirt off the frame rails. And dished up the tail pipes some. She is getting there..

IMG_4149.jpeg

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4165.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That's shiny Jeff. 

Thanks Carl. Hard to get it there but easy to maintain if you keep up with it. I have about 16 hours into it. 

• Like 2

I think I maybe wash the Beat once every other year. The roof doesn't seal that well against the windows so getting it wet means water leaks into the cabin. It sits under a cover most of the time so doesn't get dirty thankfully. 

• Like 2

In the eighties there was this trend to implement a rubber/ rag joint into the steering shaft assembly. It was a great way to reduce the amount of vibrations coming from the steering rack, but after all those years ….. , nope. No excuses , it was a really bad idea from the very get go.  
I spent about two million years in order to get the old one out , since my aftermarket k-member covers the release bolt and the steering rack wouldn’t budge, it sucked to pry it on the Jack stands. 
anyway the new one is in. And guess what?    It came in raw metal

finish and  I forgot to paint it. 😆 

IMG_3581.jpeg

IMG_3584.jpeg

IMG_3585.jpeg

• Like 2

Put on a new set of springs to see how it impacted the ride.  Lowered the car about 3/4" but stiffer.  The performance under speed and load is much better now.
Stock

Stock1.thumb.jpg.c9b081a126b22c92e47edae36a05c0b1.jpg

New Springs.  Visually just a little bit lower.

RCnew1.thumb.jpg.4ba6a1f505d5a8e332dc0afff3f758a0.jpg

• Like 5

More spanner nonsense ....GS 1000 is running nice , got 600+ miles up now so that my summer rider for now .

Turning attention to my other bike , 1986 FJ1200 .

temp-Imagebxvx-LX.avif

Bought this 2 years ago, looks good from 10 feet but....... has been sat too long . Tyres were 23 / 18 years old ....everything rubber had perished , so think engine seals, foil seals, brakes , clutch etc. Previous guy took a paintbrush to everything inc all the fasteners to "restore it "about 20 years ago from my guesswork . Thankfully the bodywork is pretty good, and it's low miles and not been too mucked around .

So....time for me to strip it down to the frame and do it properly without hopefully loosing too much of the original bike . I had an FJ1200 about 9 years ago & loved it ! It was much higher mileage , but still could uproot trees . Hopefully will have this one back up and running in around 3 months unless disaster strikes. 

Today then ,  cleaned the workshop , made room for all the boxes of parts ...and into the rabbit hole I go . 

temp-Imagevfd-E8-J.avif

• Like 3

I would just ditch the yogurt can and keep the bare frame as a base for a nice street fighter style bike. Round headlight, new classic looking tank and wheeeee :) so much potential to brutalize classic bike 😈

5fd2a3966934ce029b6c02021a7c0caa.jpg

49_15_09_13_12_13_40.jpeg

GEDC7117.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry but all of that is dog puke to me , the cafe racer nonsense has destroyed many good classic bikes. ...IMHO. This FJ has survived 40 years ...it deserves to survive for another 40 . People should go ruin modern crap bikes for thier fads  , leave the 40 year old bikes to people who appreciate them . They ain't building any more . 

I made a bunch of CR's  based on Viragos .....sold them all to dreaming idiots who I doubt anyone did more than 200 miles ...... no one will miss Blandits or Diversions etc , GS500's or half the "adventure " rubbish sold today. 

It's like making a stretched Limo from a 1970 Mustang .....just ...no . 

• Like 3

I understand where you're coming from, but if somebody takes a classic rust bucket mustang and turns it into a pro touring beauty he has my respect. It is about the appropriate approach, in the case of classic muscle cars a restoration/rebuild process can go in one of three ways, Classic , Restomod or Pro touring. I bet bikes are the same.  the last picture of a stripped frame with a painted tank is just a barf to tick you off :).

And I like Bandids too. not gonna tell you why  LOL

• Like 2

On 5/24/2024 at 9:50 PM, CANicoll said:

Put on a new set of springs to see how it impacted the ride.  Lowered the car about 3/4" but stiffer.  The performance under speed and load is much better now.
Stock

Stock1.thumb.jpg.c9b081a126b22c92e47edae36a05c0b1.jpg

New Springs.  Visually just a little bit lower.

RCnew1.thumb.jpg.4ba6a1f505d5a8e332dc0afff3f758a0.jpg

Isn’t it amazing how a set of good springs can completely change the personality of a car? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Isn’t it amazing how a set of good springs can completely change the personality of a car? 

So true. On my 2002 Civic, Honda had to lift the car to get the bumpers/headlights (I can't remember which one)  to the minimum height required by US law. It looked like an SUV compared to the Euro version. I picked up a set of coilovers and dropped it 1.75" which made a works of difference in both looks and handling. Wish I had some pics of it. 

• Like 2

So I took the turd on the road and took it to Kaltire for alignment. I did a basic one myself, but wanted to make sure it’s done right. 
I specifically asked them to Center my rear (life) axle, since I lowered it a bit. I did it myself, but wanted to make sure. Not a biggie, yet
dudes were super puzzled and told me that that’s not included in the factory spec sheet and after I drew them a small diagram to explain what I want, they suggested to go to a body shop. 
…. well my right toe was off. 😂  I would just beat them senseless, mercilessly and then released the dogs to finish the job, whoever survives would be send back to school. I dare to believe that one still needs some kind of education to get this kind of job. 
ok rant over 

image.jpg

IMG_3596.jpeg

• Like 5

I need some help here guys. Anybody has the knowledge or experience to advise me on the use of Mercon LV as a power steering fluid instead of Mercon V? I am getting conflicting messages from Motorcraft (no) and Ford (yes).  Need to know if I can replace V with LV. How would low viscosity affect the steering system? 

Maybe someone dealt with it before. 

• Like 1

Might throw the pressures off?

I know I destroyed the pump in my 1990 F-250 by using off the shelf “Power steering fluid” from the auto parts store. All the seals went out and leaked everywhere.  
 Once I figured it out, I sucked it all out with an oil pump, refilled with Type F ATF and ran it then pumped it again several times to flush the steering box then swapped the pump and old lines. 

I’d ask Ernie since he’s in the transmission business and a true Ford man.  Shoot him a message. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sound deadening. Inner fender cavities, rear seats, trunk. I didn’t have to cover it all, but it’s better to overkill all that bare sheet metal, than under kill. ( my linguistic skills are glowing this morning ) .

along the way I found an ancient avocado. 
Floor boards and the roof are next. 

IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

This is how Ford deals with sound deadening behind the subwoofer. 

IMG_3713.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg

IMG_3712.jpeg

• Like 4

Roof ?? Are you pulling the head liner out ? You are a far beaver man than I will ever be old buddy. I have heard over the years that headliners are a bear to deal with. I have no experience with it personally. I would be really curious as to see how easy or not it may be. I hope it is easy and goes well. 
Jeff

• Like 1

Roof could be a little annoying because of the nature of the overhead work and likeliness of creasing the liner. I should be doing it at the time when the seats are out while working on the floor, but that won't be logistically possible, since I am racing against the weather ( working outside) and piecing tasks together as the parts arrive. I will be picking up a different product that combines deadening material and closed cell foam for its heat insulation property.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Sound deadening. Inner fender cavities, rear seats, trunk. I didn’t have to cover it all, but it’s better to overkill all that bare sheet metal, than under kill. ( my linguistic skills are glowing this morning ) .

along the way I found an ancient avocado. 
Floor boards and the roof are next. 

This is how Ford deals with sound deadening behind the subwoofer. 

Nice work on the deadening , sorry to hear your car was previously owned by a metrosexual though ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Look mom I’m spitting purple, Royal purple, 75W140 and some friction modifiers too :)

IMG_3717.thumb.jpeg.e2d5f1f93896dfe54152d5bb99fa9090.jpeg

sooo purdy

IMG_3723.thumb.jpeg.e23824234dea45bfc1d67b16c8094108.jpeg

eww, Chernobyl

IMG_3730.thumb.jpeg.f3c1ddaed51f4e8eb5eda3bf8219b336.jpeg

yeah I know, still waiting for the new driveshaft, getting shafted by FedEx so to say