The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Revell RF-4C 14th TRS

On 11/18/2018 at 10:52 PM, GazzaS said:

Frank,

Some great work, already!  I am impressed.  I was a short-Time member of VMFP-3 which flew Rf4's...  All I can really remember that you might find interesting is white painted LG with some chipping (bare metal, no rust in the chipped areas), and soot on the inner vanes of the burner cans.   Of course...  I was a lot younger then, and the anti-radar gray of the 80's had replaced the cooler schemes of the 70's.

Gaz

Thank you for the information Gaz.  I will post some pictures of the gear as I build it.  New LG just came in today so I will at least get it primed and base coated this weekend. 

On 11/27/2018 at 3:23 AM, Peterpools said:

Frank

Terrific progress and nice going on overcoming so many obstacles at this stage of the build. Glad you were able to recover the engine front compressor part and even more important, your dog didn’t swallow it and avoided injury.   The IP’s - sure are looking good.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

I have seen your work Peter, you are no slouch to say the least.  I am getting a rhythm and the model is cooperating.  I predict my best effort ever.  Mainly due to all the help, information and guidance I have received by many here.

On 11/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, GusMac said:

Ah the curse of the mutt! I lost an AIM-7 to one of our Jack Russells on my F-15C build but DennisE in NZ rescued me with a spare.

And therein is why I am on this site.  I have received help and offers of support in ways I would not have predicted.  Such actions are highly appreciated and add to the fun of modeling.  I am glad a Sparrow was provided for, the F-15 is probably my all time favorite jet aircraft and wouldn't want her to be lacking in an anything.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 3:25 PM, smitty44 said:

Nice work! Man would I love to see more Recce Phantom stuff. I would kill for and RF-4B!

I have always loved the Phantom as it was one of my first builds as a child.  I have done a few in 1/48.  This is my first at this scale, with this much "extra".  Thank you for the compliment. 

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Frank, stunning progress. As I know nothing about jets I’ll just refer to everything as “this bit”. Heaven help my F4J when I start it.....

Phil,

I appreciate your kind words.

I am sure based on your posts that your J will be top notch.  Without question, your appreciation and capability will overcome any possible shortcomings.  I am looking in to a Wing Nut kit for Christmas, I have the same concern for that kit as you the J.....If nothing else it will be fun.

• Like 1

As I am finally getting in a bit of a build rhythm I am able to work on multiple build avenues as others dry.  As such I have started working on the Martin Baker Mk H7 ejection seats.  In so doing I have found three different color schemes to the seats.  I have gone with what I call the faded olive drab seat over the brighter forest green seat.

Forest Green color scheme (I dont think this color was used in a 1971 Phantom)....

seatd.jpg

Olive Drab color scheme (Possibly more likely to be used in 1971 and more in line with found references)......

Phantom-II-MK7.jpg

And lastly I have been using the below virtual cockpit as a reference color scheme...

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/SEAW_tour/SEAW-10.html

I have searched for standard or mixed color's to apply to the seat with no luck.  I have come up with a flat olive head rest and a faded olive drab cushion set.

I am wondering what others might have come up with?!?!? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

• Like 3

Had to spend some time doing a little earthquake recovery work around the house and of course work had me going pretty good.  It was a relief to get home for some plastic therapy.

I finally spent some time to plan and execute cutting the holes in the fuselage for the photo flash dispensers.  It helped that my early Christmas present got to me.  I ordered a new micro saw and made a flexible ruler to scribe and cut.  I made a few mistakes as I got impatient after a few light cuts.  Otherwise, it was a decent go.  I will have to re-scribe proper panels in the area around the dispensers.  I will have to also add the additional panel hiding the antenna in the vertical stabilizer.

IMG-0185.jpg

A lot of time was spent working on the cockpit minutia making minor advances over time.  I worked on studying the seats while working on the cockpit area as I started making the seats come to life.

IMG-0237.jpg

IMG-0240.jpg

IMG-0246.jpg

• Like 3

I am amazed at the number of different controls you've picked out.  It's all very stunning!  I can't remember the color of the phantom's seats I saw in California...  Even though I sat on them!

I do remember walking down the spine and on the wings.  It's a big bird.  I felt like I was standing on a bus if I remember correctly.

Gaz

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well work has me going crazy with earthquake issues.  Prior to all the fun the wife and I planned on replacing the whole of the flooring up stairs.  Its been rough to find time.  The hallway is the old flooring as the front room had been finished a day prior.  My son is hard at work removing doors in the other rooms in preparation of the coming new floor and paint.

IMG-0297.jpg

Below is my incomplete MK7.  Its the GT resin seat with eduard updates.  I also have been making costume bits to fill in he parts missing from the real thing.  Copper wire (yellow wiring) and other parts are being added and created to make as a complete MK7 as possible.  Belt fittings and some belts are temporary placed to see how the over seat will look.  Its been hard to find a matching reference.

IMG-0318.jpg

IMG-0320.jpg

IMG-0322.jpg

I will be leaving for a bit during Christmas but have a whole week planned right after.  Looking forward to really making some progress.  Have a great Christmas to all of you.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2018 at 5:23 AM, harv said:

both look good, Where did the seat belts come from ?......harv

Hey Harv!!

They are Eduard.  Now if I had it to do again, i might get a different set.  They are painted only on one side.  When I try to form fit them the painting tends to want to come off the metal.  That really limits what I can do as far as how I want the belts to lay.  Also the belts will ask one to super glue them as they are folded over.  Make sure you form them first then glue.  I learned that after the first couple belts on the first seat....:popo:

What I have now is going to look a little sterile compared to what I was aiming for.  None the less it is coming together well. 

-Frank

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 5:09 PM, GazzaS said:

The seat looks brilliant.  I have a lot of DYI I should be doing...  but I'm not in the mood...lol

Gaz

Gaz,

Thank you.  Pictures of the finished product to come, tons of extra's.  My eyes are blurry from all the bits.  I have been dreaming Martin Baker seats... 

-Frank

• Like 2

I hope everyone had a awesome Christmas.  My wife bought me an Iwata HP-CS as my Passache's are getting pretty old but still reliable.  I cant wait to give this baby a go.  I am talking about the airbrush.  :coolio:

IMG-0395.jpg

I have been very focused on the MK7 Ejection Seats.  Paging through the referenced and versions I finally settled on these: 

SeatLeft.jpg

Seat-Right.jpg

I have been spending the last week or so making extra bits out of copper wire, fishing line (10LB), extra photo etched sprues, and some parts from ReedOak.  My eyes are blurry and I have literally been dreaming about Martin Baker ejection seat variants.  I am still not done but am eager to show you my progress.  The seat on the left is the "stock" seat prior to all my custom bits provided as a comparison.  I do need a real camera as my phone camera is failing to catch the detail. 

IMG-0397.jpg

IMG-0398.jpg

IMG-0399.jpg

IMG-0400.jpg

I have been learning a I go.  I have found that knowing what medium to use at a given time is commonsense only once a few mistakes are made.  Copper and or lead wire doesn't take to curves as natural as monofilament does, but monfilament doesn't like tight curves an creates a great amount of tension when trying to make tight turns.  Therefore compromise must be achieved as progress is made.  The picture below is supposed to be the same wire that goes across the back of the seat.  I used two different materials as I discovered fishing line more pliable. 

IMG-0377.jpg

IMG-0400-2.jpg

Off to eat some Prime Rib.....

• Like 3