The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/350 Revell Platinum Edition Tirpitz WIP

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM

A few months ago i started my 1/350 scale Revell Tirpitz. The kit is the Platinum Edition from the earlier Revell Tirpitz kit.

QNzH4Xcl.jpg

Time to put some photo's over here. I made a careful start on this beast. i'm used to build bigger scale, so this will be my first ship building in plastic medium, i hope everything will turn the way i like it.default_cool.png

There's enough instructions to get lost on this one.

wUPlm6Nl.jpg

The hull is separated into two half's, which both are nicely moulded, some seam lines need to be removed, but it's no difficult job to do.. The fit of the two half's is fairly good.

JSvgYxLl.jpg

I just wanted to know for sure how this kit would fit, so i did a dry-fit of both half's and the upper deck.

6SKhAGXl.jpg

8ZeMJhgl.jpg

q0MfLjWl.jpg

Also the two inner bulkheads gave a very good fit into the hull.

NNrdfx8l.jpg

Dry-fit of the upper deck gave a good alignment, so for this i was happy.

2aLg7QXl.jpg

5RQzGvzl.jpg

Gh59uXul.jpg

AAj2apgl.jpg

Time to glue the two half's together.

jTQrOODl.jpg

When the glue is dry, i will glue two nuts into the hull, for later connection on a base plate. Also i will use epoxy glue into the separation seam for a secure connection.

nAYoMI8l.jpg

Indeed, yes, i put in all my models my signature and starting date of the project, let's say it's for good luck...........default_piratebo5.gif

Hull of the Tirpitz was glued together, resulting in some unequal seams, so they need to get some putty. While drying, i tackled the 150 m/m gun towers.

Without PE they look like this....

LmV7Nrkl.jpg

YSnLvdYl.jpg

But this kit got a load of PE and brass barrels onboard, so let the fun begins.

Jmogl4ll.jpg

6f1ihCwl.jpg

3yWjOG6l.jpg

dY4VtK1l.jpg

bW230GVl.jpg

And just to show how small these gem's are.......

bubRDoil.jpg

Ok guy's, it's a massive update, and that's how thing's are at the moment, i keep you guy's posted on this.

Regards

Danny

Guest DannyVM
12 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Coooooollllllllll Danny, been looking forward to your build.......:popcorn:

Thank's mate:thumbsup2: The hull is painted, just a clear coat and the propellers (or how do you call those on a boat??)

11 hours ago, harv said:

Oh yeah !!.........harv :popcorn:

Nice to see your hopping into the boat mate.:):thumbsup2:

I'm not so much a ship builder but will follow with interest, as I have a 1/350 scale Queen Elisabeth with lots of metal and wooden goodies in my stash. A good chance to sneak some how to's and good ideas out of your build, mate.

Some minutes ago I recieved the AK newsletter for February and there was that, which might be of interest for you:

https://ak-interactive.com/product/modelling-full-ahead-3-bismark-tirpitz/?utm_source=AK+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0f3e669057-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_02_08_12_36&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f616cf204e-0f3e669057-144389585&goal=0_f616cf204e-0f3e669057-144389585&mc_cid=0f3e669057&mc_eid=adfdb29a3d

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM
6 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I'm not so much a ship builder but will follow with interest, as I have a 1/350 scale Queen Elisabeth with lots of metal and wooden goodies in my stash. A good chance to sneak some how to's and good ideas out of your build, mate.

Some minutes ago I recieved the AK newsletter for February and there was that, which might be of interest for you:

https://ak-interactive.com/product/modelling-full-ahead-3-bismark-tirpitz/?utm_source=AK+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0f3e669057-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_02_08_12_36&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f616cf204e-0f3e669057-144389585&goal=0_f616cf204e-0f3e669057-144389585&mc_cid=0f3e669057&mc_eid=adfdb29a3d

Cheers Rob

Thank's for hopping into the boat mate.:thumbsup2: And for sure thank's for the link, i think i will get that book.:)

Yesterday and today i did some work on the Tirpitz. The hull was painted completely, and the deck received the wooden deck it deserved. 

So now onto the painting of the hull. Revell instructions gave two choices to paint the model, but something tells me that it is not very accurate, don't ask me why, but when i look at this link, i don't find any color variation like the ones depicted into the Revell instructions.

fqb8IsKl.jpg

bAbJSMwl.jpg

So, to be honest, this is my first ship build, the camo pattern like shown above is just to complicated to paint it for a novice, so i decided to go a little easier. I did some research and i came up with this color scheme

a4FAyHrl.jpg

ihcIZDul.jpg

Lui4Mzwl.jpg

It's a fairly simple color scheme, but still, i like it, so, this is the one i will use. 

I started with the primer coat, i use black.

ENOxPY9l.jpg

Some taping to do and next color is the bottom of the hul, the red-brown color.

oLZ57Sll.jpg

So i build up the colors, side of the hull, the dark and light grey colors.

NlfDQf1l.jpg

pAPTmmkl.jpg

After that, i airbrushed a gloss clear coat onto the model and afterwards it was time to tackle the wooden deck, something is wasn't really thrilled about to do.

eoUpZaMl.jpg

iMuHhHUl.jpg

YJZhgkJl.jpg

To be honest, this is just easy work, the wooden deck was added withing about an half an hour and it was done.

ETtkXyml.jpg

91Icyekl.jpg

Regards

Danny

Guest DannyVM
11 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Really like the wooden deck..........

Thank's Phil. The wooden deck is really a nice add-on to the model, and it's fairly simple to apply. 

Guest DannyVM

Just finished work on the four 380 m/m guns of the Tirpitz. I also made one 20 m/m AA gun to place it on one of the 380 m/m gun turrets. You wouldn't believe it, but this 20 m/m AA gun exists of 25 PE part's which are folded and glued together.

The basic ingredients for the four 380 m/m guns.

rcYSlmAl.jpg

Some turrets showed some scratches on their surface. Nothing serious, just a little bit filling and the job is done.

247CyaCl.jpg

r94JIm8l.jpg

HyuTDkbl.jpg

Next, replace the plastic gun barrels with new brass ones.

pOMxPCBl.jpg

8eyCYSGl.jpg

zwDgq8wl.jpg

x973Sntl.jpg

On top of one of the turrets comes a 20 m/m AA Gun. Two choices, plastic or .......pe..........which exist out of 25 pieces.....:omg:

I decided to take the plunge, this is the result.

hGTIYpPl.jpg

0bwndenl.jpg

For comparison, a toothpick and my finger, just to show how small these suckers are...

iwqfZDul.jpg

And the whole bunch together.

PLmwzcBl.jpg

Regards

Danny

How about your eyes mate :icon_eek:, everything still in operational mode? These guns look great, specially the tiny AA guns. 
I remembered now, what turns me a little down on ships, it's redundancy ,too many repeating tasks, like the wheels of tanks, but one of theses days, ...

Keep it coming

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM
4 minutes ago, DocRob said:

How about your eyes mate :icon_eek:, everything still in operational mode? These guns look great, specially the tiny AA guns. 
I remembered now, what turns me a little down on ships, it's redundancy ,too many repeating tasks, like the wheels of tanks, but one of theses days, ...

Keep it coming

Cheers Rob

My eyes.......not good to be honest:wacko: i keep seeing AA guns all the time since i made this tiny guyB) No serious, you just have to stay focused on the subject to put everything in good order together. I worked more then 4 hours alone on the bending and preparing of the tiny pe part's. Glueing the part's together was done in about a hour. That's why i decided to work the different part's of the ship, piece by piece, just to keep some variation into the build. Like now, ik tackled the 380 m/m guns, and one AA gun, tomorrow i will paint those. That way, it stay's fun.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM
2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Watch your air pressure and don't feed the carpet monster with blown away parts.

Cheers Rob

It all ready happend today when some tiny pe part's ejected from my tweezers into thin air.:piliot:

22 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Good grief Danny that AA mount would suck all the joy out of me on it's own. :icon_eek:

It's a micro kit on it's own, my wife needed to reanimate me from time to time during the battle with the pe.....:lol::lol:

Guest DannyVM
14 hours ago, GusMac said:

Just the thought gives me a headache. I've never mastered the art of getting small enough amounts of CA to glue PE effectively without big blobs all over it, so I take my hat off to you for the pristine finish.

It's fairly simple to do mate. I use a home made device to apply ca glue to certain part's. It exists of a copper wire placed in a pin-vise. Just dip this into the ca glue and apply it onto the part that needs to be glued. From time to time you need to clean the copper wire from dried glue with a sharp blade, et voila, ready to use again.

nYRWFdpl.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest DannyVM
On 4/15/2019 at 7:09 PM, Bomber_County said:

Danny, any news on this?

Sadly no Phil. At the moment i'm very busy with my new job, so modeling is kept at the background. Also my wife is recovering from her surgery so time is divided into two part's , the third part is modeling and that's a little bit rusted at the moment. Still, i will find some time to get onto the modeling table this weekend, so from the moment i have news i will share it with you guy's. 

• 3 months later...

Just catching up on this - great job on those turrets, and the AA mount PE build is gorgeous!

i have been a bit fun-shy on tackling this kind of build as the parts are SO SMALL... yikes!

but you’ve given me some inspiration.  Somewhere along the line i’d Like to do the USS Arizona and USS Missouri to book-end the WWII Pacific Campaign 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
Guest DannyVM

Thank's guy's for hopping in.:thumbsup2:

On 12/30/2019 at 12:56 PM, Bomber_County said:

Any news on this Danny?

Sadly no Phil, there where moments i planned to get back on this fantastic kit, but time and work kept me away from it. Hopefully 2020 will give me enough time to get back on this project.

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM

Like Dee Snider would say...................I'm baaack.......:D

ukVrA66m.gif

No serious, this project keeps sticking on me everytime i passed the big Revell box which was laying on the top of the dressing closeth in the bedroom. That thing keeps lurking at me so it was time to get it downstairs and restarted this.

Last progress on this ship where the 380 m/m guns and the tiny 20 m/m AA gun which are at the moment painted. I also did some work on the other part's of the ship like the 105 m/m guns. Again, these guns are build up the same way like the 380 m/m guns with some nice but tiny pe parts.

upU0TU1l.jpg

bRVzKJGl.jpg

fN9ybpxl.jpg

Same go's for the life rescue vessels. These tiny little boats are located onto the various spot's on the Tirpitz. For these, i used also the provided pe together with some extra Evergeen which was used to add some detail which was sanded away.

BY9YfaCl.jpg

iWRy8pal.jpg

Ok, back to some serious work now......the two cranes which are located at each side of the ship and where mainly used to get the Arado planes back onto the ships catapult. Again you can chose between only the kit's plastic and with pe......let's go....this crane exist of 31 pieces.

4YnTEKGl.jpg

FJPhzeWl.jpg

cepUkeyl.jpg

At this moment all different parts are painted and i will start to put some work on the search light's, so stay tuned guy's....

Regards

Danny