Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1:32 Buchon BoB Film veteran (Bf 109G-4 conversion)

• Administrators

A little update for you.

Cockpit painted and the resin nose is now more or less fitted, with some careful reshaping of the profile and stuff. It's not been too easy in places, but some careful perseverance, continual test-fitting and a little plastic shimming here and there, things do go together as planned.

Screenshot 2019-03-19 at 20.27.02.jpg

Screenshot 2019-03-19 at 19.49.33.jpg

• Like 8

Jim,

I note that before attaching the wings; you've added the wing spar, that has notches to keep the fuselage at the correct spacing.

Do you recommend this as the best way to get the resin nose aligned for those attempting this conversion?

• Like 2

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Wumm said:

Jim,

I note that before attaching the wings; you've added the wing spar, that has notches to keep the fuselage at the correct spacing.

Do you recommend this as the best way to get the resin nose aligned for those attempting this conversion?

Without a doubt.

Firstly, you need to do a lot of work to make the new belly align in all the right places. I found mine needed shortening a little so it laid flat with the root leading edges lining up. Second, there are other modifications I needed to do to the resin belly piece which involved slicing away at some of the internals so it would fit properly. I would only have been able to decipher that if I'd glued the rear belly panel and spars in place. It's so much easier that way.

Thirdly, I found that you need that firm edge to be able to make a complete connection with the new nose. 

The instructions are a little lacklustre and you need to think ahead with this one.

AND....the wings still easily slide on at this point too!

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 06.57.30.jpg

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 06.59.50.jpg

• Like 9

• Administrators

The model is actually painted and decaled now, but here are a couple of photos of what I have on my Mac before I dump and edit the other photos. 

Got to say this is a very enjoyable project!

Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 11.34.38.jpg

Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 11.34.54.jpg

• Like 9

• Administrators
9 hours ago, coolboxx said:

So neat, any tips on your gloss work. 

Low pressure, work closely and I always draw the needle a little further back to allow a wetter flow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2