Jump to content

1:32 Buchon BoB Film veteran (Bf 109G-4 conversion)


Jim H
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I've been working away on this, cutting, slicing, sawing and grinding resin and plastic for a few weeks. 

The base kit is a 1:32 Revell (ex-Hasegawa) Bf 109G-4Trop in this delightful tan coloured plastic. My thanks to a good friend, Mark, for donating the kit to be scarified on the altar of butchered birds. A small drill bit, scalpel and razor saw were used to tear into the model, plus I also wanted to remove the casting blocks and see what the new resin nose looked kit. I'm sure you'll agree it looks pretty good. 

I also have the BoB (Luftwaffe) add-on for this kit with a small number of Buchon schemes/options available, and as this one has cropped tips, I also hacked those away and tested the new tips. Some final tweaking and sanding would be needed to perfectly blend them in, but nothing too onerous. 

Another thing, I hate the look of Hasegawa model surfaces with their minimal details, so I'm entirely flush-riveting this model with a beading tool from MDC. It's one at a time, but the difference is well worth the effort.

Here you go!

Screenshot-2019-03-11-at-20.36.26.jpg

Screenshot-2019-03-11-at-20.36.48.jpg

Screenshot-2019-03-11-at-20.38.14.jpg

Screenshot-2019-03-11-at-20.40.09.jpg

Screenshot-2019-03-11-at-20.39.20.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
32 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

James, I don't know enough about BF109s but could you start with a Hasegawa BF109 F4 kit instead? That way you don't have the multiparty fuselage. 

Carl

 

I don't know the intricacies of the small changes and differences in them, and the conversion was designed for a G-2/4/6, so I simply used one of those. Maybe wing bulges etc? I don't know.

Adding the tail was pretty easy and only about 30 mins of sanding and polishing. You can't tell it had separate rear fuse parts now. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, James H said:

I don't know the intricacies of the small changes and differences in them, and the conversion was designed for a G-2/4/6, so I simply used one of those. Maybe wing bulges etc? I don't know.

Adding the tail was pretty easy and only about 30 mins of sanding and polishing. You can't tell it had separate rear fuse parts now. 

Ok thanks for the info James. I figured if it would work I have an F-4 kit in the stash so it would save me buying another kit.

Carl

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

James, I don't know enough about BF109s but could you start with a Hasegawa BF109 F4 kit instead? That way you don't have the multiparty fuselage. 

Carl

 

You could Carl, Bouchon is based on the G-2 variant which apart from the motor vents, kompressor intake and some hatches is outwardly identical to the F series... EXCEPT for the canopy, which on Bouchon is the later thicker G type.

S

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Now this is fixin' to be positively interesting.  It's conversion I've definitely been eyeing...

But it's looking like they may be sold out??

Ernie, I believe Hannants will be getting them in. But the decals are.no longer included in the conversion. You have to buy them separately. Consolation there is they now have Spanish markings as an option. 

Hobby Search in Japan has it listed too but there's quite the markup on it. 

Carl

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wumm said:

You could Carl, Bouchon is based on the G-2 variant which apart from the motor vents, kompressor intake and some hatches is outwardly identical to the F series... EXCEPT for the canopy, which on Bouchon is the later thicker G type.

S

Thanks! I found the instructions for both kits online and can see the canopy differences. So I'll probably just track down a G kit for this. 

Carl

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
4 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Ernie, I believe Hannants will be getting them in. But the decals are.no longer included in the conversion. You have to buy them separately. Consolation there is they now have Spanish markings as an option. 

Hobby Search in Japan has it listed too but there's quite the markup on it. 

Carl

I love the oddbal postwar 109s. I’d like to do both the Hisso and Merlin variant, and they would have to be Spanish.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Now this is fixin' to be positively interesting.  It's conversion I've definitely been eyeing...

But it's looking like they may be sold out??

https://www.sbsmodel.com/model/BUC-32002/hispano-ha-1112-m1l-conversion-set-for-hasegawa-kit

https://www.sbsmodel.com/model/BUC-32003/hispano-ha-1112-m1l--movie-star--decal-sheet-+-resin-parts

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 3/11/2019 at 3:59 PM, Wumm said:

You could Carl, Bouchon is based on the G-2 variant which apart from the motor vents, kompressor intake and some hatches is outwardly identical to the F series... EXCEPT for the canopy, which on Bouchon is the later thicker G type.

S

The "F" fuselage is a couple of mm longer IIRC, this was an issue on the their Gustavs which scaled out just a little short.  Probably safer to stick with the G.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The difference in overall lengths of the Hasegawa F and G kits is a couple of millimetres. The newer F series spinner is a more accurate length and shape, which accounts for more than half of the above difference, and brings the overall fuselage comparison between both releases to less than a millimetre. This can be adjusted with a small shim at the G series tail insert if required.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...