The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

KITTY HAWK Mirage 2000 Family (1/32)

Looks very promising!

Ernie, Ivan, I'm all up for this. I haven't built one of their kits so far just because they haven't released any aircraft I really fancied, I've built enough Trumpeter kits (including the current A-7E) to have what I think are the euphemistic 'basic modelling skills' so I hope I can cope with anything that comes with it. I build for my own fun so I'm not hung up on total accuracy, etc. I just build the aircraft that excite me and this is certainly one!

• Like 4

• Administrators

GusMac, what Ivan said is true: Kitty Hawk kits can be extremely rewarding once you sort out all the bits and pieces. It's absolutely true.  They've gotten some extremely bad press over the years, mostly by "reviewers" who,

A. Had a bone to pick with the Company,

B. Hated or seriously disliked someone IN the Company, or

C. Were just lazy and/or bad builders,

None of which applies to those that populate this forum. 

Personally, I get a real charge out of these kits, much like I do with limited run and resin kits.  You get all the exclusivity of a resin kit, and none of the insane trimming, fitting, and sanding issues.

That F-5F I built was the very first 1/32 modern jet I've built in 25 or 30 years, and it was a walk in the park compared to Trumpy's early MuG kits.

• Like 6

I am not sure if you guys had a chance to see Mirage 2000 aerobatic demonstration flight. If you did , you know that there is something very graceful on the way how this delta wing moves. Not sure what, but different. Graceful and fluent. 

After the shenanigans of Fulcrums and Flankes, 2000 felt like a swan in the skies.

photo_9999_118551.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

Ivan, I'd give much just to have a good basic model of the aircraft in your signature. Make it correct shape wise, let not it be sticking it's arse end up high in the air like a (censored, hehe), and let us do what else we need to make it right for a specific bird.

But, I expect this Mirage will be the second modern jet I've built this year.

• Like 2

Thanks Clunk, I think I know a couple of those particular 'reviewers' of whom you speak!

Having beaten a Trumpy Mig-15 and -21 into some semblance of shape I reckon I should be able to cover anything this comes up with. Hardest thing might be which of all the cool schemes to pick!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Preliminary "Mirage 2000C" marking options:

• 3x Mirage 2000C, France
  • 1x Mirage 2000-5F, France (118-AX, No.77, erroneously labelled as Mirage 2000C)
  • 1x Mirage 2000H, KF1010, India
  • 1x Mirage 2000C/F-2000C, No. 4949, Brazil (ex Armée de l'Air)
  • 1x Mirage 2000EGM. Greece
  • 1x Mirage 2000-5EI, Taiwan

fpgpcc4.jpg

The depicted airframe configurations are (KH tradition) nonsense - Mirage 2000/2000-5 hybrids with Mirage 2000D tails.
But hey, it's only "artwork". Anyway, the already published 2000C CADs are depicting a typical, correct French 2000C tail.

Can't wait to see the plastic in order to find out whether KH has included cockpits for both the 2000C and the 2000-5F/EI subversions.
The difference is substantial.

Mirage 2000-5F, ECE 05.330 "Côte d'Argent", France:
(ECE = Escadron de chasse et d'expérimentation)

ner1NQ3.jpg

Mirage 2000C, EC 02.005 "Ile-de-France", France 1990/1991:

Xm50JSK.jpg

Mirage 2000C, EC 01.012 "Cambrésis", France, NATO Tiger Meet 2011:

wxCZigL.jpg

IBQZajh.jpg

Mirage 2000C, EC 05.330 "Côte d'Argent", France (Tiger Meet 1993):

Pa3kZdB.jpg

Mirage 2000H, 7 Sqn,  India, 2011:
(Not sure whether this particular aircraft has been upgraded to Mirage 2000I standard.)

QGV5KW3.jpg

Mirage 2000C/F-2000C, 1° Grupo de Defesa Aérea, Brazil:

BIsLsSA.jpg

Mirage 2000EGM, 332 MIra, Greece, 2015:
(a/c crashed in 2017)

FsXhvnF.jpg

lyTkhEE.jpg

Mirage 2000-5EI, 499th TFW, Taiwan:

qWxTAKX.jpg

• Like 4