The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Best '32 Tempest

Artful69

• Administrators

I have them both.

They’re both decent enough kits, and I’d rate them similarly with the SH getting the edge due to surface detail. The SH has much more AM available thanks to the Czechs, but until the SH kit arrived, everyone raved about the PCM. It was the hottest ticket in town and perpetually sold out. I’ve had plenty of opportunity to sell my PCM kit, and for some decent money too, and won’t ever do so.

My opinion, and this is an opinion only, is that the PCM kit is less fiddly to build, because it’s simpler with less resin, etc. plenty of people have had fit issues with the SH kit  

But, if you throw the full bucket of skill and AM at the SH kit, you’ll end up with a slightly more accurate and detailed model.  Along with the Czech resin available, remember that Barracuda makes stuff that’ll work on either kit.

This is a personal opinion only.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I’ve only built the SH, got to say it’s not Tamiya build, it fights back..........

In 100% agreement. From the first cut it starts. Doesn’t stop till it’s on the shelf. 

My first attempt wasn’t pretty.  Livable, but the road was full of potholes and ruts

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I’ve only built the SH, got to say it’s not Tamiya build, it fights back..........

The SH tempest is like most SH kits you need to understand it rather than build it. It's not Tamiya or Hasegawa. But the surface detail and resin to my mind makes it a fantastic kit. Its a kit that demands you think it through. I saw one magazine build where the author cut the bottom off the interior detail to make it fit, not needed it's all about the build up of the undercarriage bays then it fits like a glove. The nose is a bit bigger than the fuselage again easily sorted but you just need to think about it. I would certainly build another. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 5:39 PM, Grunhertz said:

The SH tempest is like most SH kits you need to understand it rather than build it. It's not Tamiya or Hasegawa. But the surface detail and resin to my mind makes it a fantastic kit. Its a kit that demands you think it through. I saw one magazine build where the author cut the bottom off the interior detail to make it fit, not needed it's all about the build up of the undercarriage bays then it fits like a glove. The nose is a bit bigger than the fuselage again easily sorted but you just need to think about it. I would certainly build another. 

Thank. I just bought one. 

• Like 1