The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Paint

Artful69

... Specifically acrylic paint.

I've loved using Tamiya acrylic's ever since I first used them ... They apply well and are time efficient on preparation ... and especially clean up!!

However ...

They have no "specific" RLM colours ... and this vexes me. Well, not really - but I've always gone picking out the colour of "best fit".

Quite by accident (while online browsing today) I discovered that Mr.Hobby do an acrylic paint WITH specific RLM colours.

Has anyone used both? ... the price looks comparable ... Are the RLM colours more or less accurate?

How do they compare in use and finish?

Rog :)

• Like 3

Rog, if you mean the Gunze Aqueous line then yes, they spray pretty much like their lacquer counterparts. They're thicker than Tamiya or at least all the ones I have seem to be.

The Aqueous line is pretty much next to impossible to find in North America for some reason so most of mine is a bit old but still holding up. 

You can also thin them with Mr Color Leveling Thinner too.

Carl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rog, Gunze Sangyo (or GSI Creos) is the parent company for Mr Color. You can see their name on this 25+ year old bottle I have. 

IMG_20190922_091543-L.jpg

So yup, one and the same paint.

Also try to get the cap remover if you don't have one already. It's great for stuck lids and works on Tamiya and AK Real Color lids as well.

https://hlj.com/mr-cap-opener-gnzgt56

As for the paint in that bottle, it's still good even though it's at least a quarter century old. 

Carl

• Like 3

On 9/21/2019 at 12:58 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Yep, never tried their aqueous. It’s as rare here as Tamiya enamels. 

23 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Rog, Gunze Sangyo (or GSI Creos) is the parent company for Mr Color. You can see their name on this 25+ year old bottle I have. 

So yup, one and the same paint.

Also try to get the cap remover if you don't have one already. It's great for stuck lids and works on Tamiya and AK Real Color lids as well.

https://hlj.com/mr-cap-opener-gnzgt56

As for the paint in that bottle, it's still good even though it's at least a quarter century old. 

Carl

Okie-doke ... we're on the same page ...

I have been advised that there is dry-time issues with the paint because it's either full-gloss or semi-gloss ... unlike the flat Tamiya paint. Is this something that any of you have run into?

With Tamiya stuff ... it's paint, decals, semi-gloss or flat clear coat, park ... no dry time issues ... although I always leave the subject at least overnight before decal application.

I really am comfortable with Tamiya for a number of reasons ... one of the main ones being, of course, that it's a known quantity ...

Won't ever touch another enamel ... so it's acrylic or bust ... besides the RLM Mr.Hobby stuff ... are there any other RLM paints I should look at?

And thanks for the tip there Carl :D ... I can put the multi-grips away!! ;) 

Rog :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Don't forget Nicole Kidman and Kylie Minouge. (spelling?)

Eh... One of those lives in the US, the other spends most of her time in London, so really Mr.Hobby is much easier to find here.

Plus, it's it doesn't require fillers to keep it malleable after you've had it for a few years.

• Like 3