Jump to content

Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

Ryan

Saturn V Real Size Scale Model

Recommended Posts

Gentlemen, Marian has inspired me...I have tossed aside all of my WNW kits and have decided to go big!

Please send me all drawings and information on the rocket for this project, oh and I will be starting on the gantry first.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah yeah yeah  :rofl:

but my mind is working.....  maybe contract it out and rent space on top so clear channel radio stations to use the escape tower as an antenna mount.

Or even AT&T might consider hiding a cell tower in the thin fiberglass adapter rings between the LEM housing and the third stage booster.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the beard of Evil Spock!

IMG_20191009_092830.thumb.jpg.941dffe3c2b59fb0ae252ab1352bb679.jpg

First Jim abandons the Hobby, and takes up building little wooden ships, and now this!

What's the world coming to?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Wumm I have seen the light.

Jims building ships?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe...

Not sure.

IMG_20191009_095351.thumb.jpg.5559ccd7cb8f774918646634b50280a1.jpg

Not even sure if he's sure.

Topsy-turvy World.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to suggest the recent Lego Saturn V set as it's quite nice and would be a great reference. Then I saw you you wanted to start with the gantry tower.

Maybe if you started with the crawler that would be easiest. That way you could move it around as needed.:D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Maybe...

Not sure.

IMG_20191009_095351.thumb.jpg.5559ccd7cb8f774918646634b50280a1.jpg

Not even sure if he's sure.

Topsy-turvy World.

Small confession, I have always wanted to try one of those.

Good for him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Small confession, I have always wanted to try one of those.

Good for him.

Shhhhh, but me too. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I was going to suggest the recent Lego Saturn V set as it's quite nice and would be a great reference. Then I saw you you wanted to start with the gantry tower.

Maybe if you started with the crawler that would be easiest. That way you could move it around as needed.:D

I hate it when someone displays much more logical thinking than I do.

Said the guy with a 1/48 B-36

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Small confession, I have always wanted to try one of those.

Good for him.

I picked up a book called Canoe Craft on how to build a cedarstrip canoe basically the same way. Even got as far as clearing out my parents' garage so I'd have the space. But then my dad saw all the free space and promptly filled it up again. 

One day...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, but I bought every nut and bolt from my local Home Depot....I’m on my way.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ryan said:

No, but I bought every nut and bolt from my local Home Depot....I’m on my way.

I really hope you have bins to store them by size. Probably grain bins might be large enough?

Have you thought about an “as if” retro version build?  As in an alternative version designed by Dr. Hugo Junkers, using his patented metal airplane structural process. You could use aluminum and steel from old Quonset Huts and culverts for that classy and timeless Junkers corrugated look.

Or, you could have old Tony Fokker, the crazy as a fox Dutchman help with internally braced steel tube framed substructure and plywood engine nozzles.   And if you used Fokker's steel truss structure, you could skin the exterior with papier mâché. It's be light but strong. At least until it rains.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ryan said:

Gentlemen, Marian has inspired me...I have tossed aside all of my WNW kits and have decided to go big!

Please send me all drawings and information on the rocket for this project, oh and I will be starting on the gantry first.

 

Sheesh! I better get to work. Can't have a 1:1 scale rocket with no 1:1 scale Moon..........................

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sluggo I appreciate this collaboration, this is turning into a great diorama idea.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I really hope you have bins to store them by size. Probably grain bins might be large enough?

Have you thought about an “as if” retro version build?  As in an alternative version designed by Dr. Hugo Junkers, using his patented metal airplane structural process. You could use aluminum and steel from old Quonset Huts and culverts for that classy and timeless Junkers corrugated look.

Or, you could have old Tony Fokker, the crazy as a fox Dutchman help with internally braced steel tube framed substructure and plywood engine nozzles.   And if you used Fokker's steel truss structure, you could skin the exterior with papier mâché. It's be light but strong. At least until it rains.

Actually, I'm having Shapeways do the whole thing for me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crazy thing is, this has been done before, as I mentioned above. 

On a side note, that sure must be one of the most beautiful aircraft ever to fly. She just looks "right" without a single out of place corner anywhere. I'd have loved to have seen one of these fly.

Perfect Cold War Interceptor: Just go blisteringly fast in a straight line, attack the bombers with nuclear tipped rockets, then RTB to do it all over again.

FFD90E7A-B092-489C-9ACF-163B781EDBAD.jpeg

F6CE9021-495D-4969-8985-69A925A3CBA7.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes wasn't there a documentary somewhere about this?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Yes wasn't there a documentary somewhere about this?

Yes, it was about the original development of the  Arrow.  It was a decent production but drifted into politics and conspiracy theories instead of totally dealing with the aircraft. 

The Arrow got lost in a big sea of similarly capable aircraft that were available for much less money. Sad, but it's life.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Arrow is the most effing gorgeous plane ever built , the high water mark in Canadian aviation , ruined by politicians.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeff said:

I thought it was in Wetaskawin Alberta?? Am I mistaken on this??

It got moved to the GTA

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

It got moved to the GTA

 

shows what I know.... thanks Ern, always interested in learning something new

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...