The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 scale DHC-2 Beaver actual build

16 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Thanks buddy....looks like it has gone.  Trouble with living on this side of the planet....I was asleep when all the action happened!

Appreciate you keeping an eye out for me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks buddy....looks like it has gone.  Trouble with living on this side of the planet....I was asleep when all the action happened!

Appreciate you keeping an eye out for me!

It's not gone yet, I think the problem is you can't see it from were you are at. I placed a bid on it if I win I will let you know, you'll get first dibs for all the help you gave me on the Mossie.

Ron G 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

It's not gone yet, I think the problem is you can't see it from were you are at. I placed a bid on it if I win I will let you know, you'll get first dibs for all the help you gave me on the Mossie.

Ron G 

Ron, you are a good man!

Anytime on the Mossie buddy.....

• Like 2

I hope you get it, Anthony; your Mosquito build is such an inspiration, one can't begrudge a modeller of your calibre adding another deHavilland product to your collection. And .....I'm always....happy ....to be hunting for....no, don't do it......! 

BEAVER! 

Oh, dear. We return you to your regularly scheduled programme!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

I hope you get it, Anthony; your Mosquito build is such an inspiration, one can't begrudge a modeller of your calibre adding another deHavilland product to your collection. And .....I'm always....happy ....to be hunting for....no, don't do it......! 

BEAVER! 

Oh, dear. We return you to your regularly scheduled programme!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Awww you are too kind buddy.  I will keep looking for us both even if Ron pulls this off!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Ron, you are a legend mate!!  I'll drop you an email after dinner

Super awesome....I will have to start digging up some research material!

Be careful! Don't let the wife know you are getting a new beaver...lol.:D:rofl::rofl:I'll have to figure out what its going to cost to send it down under, so I only want what it cost me plus what shipping is. Also you have to do a build thread on it.

Ron G 

• Like 3

Well, I had to go back to work and switch-on the PC on which I do Solidworks' designs, but I recovered some screen captures of what I did 4 years ago. The cylinder design is not complete (and has some bugs) and you will notice that I even "assembled" one cylinder in a reverse way :wallbash:

That gives you an idea of what I had achieved so far. The design is in 1/32 scale.

Hubert

R-985 dessus.PNG

R-985 side.PNG

R-985 AV.PNG

R-985 AR.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2019 at 12:29 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Ron, you are a legend mate!!  I'll drop you an email after dinner

Super awesome....I will have to start digging up some research material!

Hey Anthony 

Better hurry on that research the kit has arrived! Let me know when you have the money and want me to ship it, and where.

Ron G 

• Like 2

Just heading to bed buddy!  I will email you in the morning...I will find the money somehow LOL.

Crikey, I'm waiting for the 'talking to' from my wife :poo:.....lots of UK money transfers and Aircraft part buying happening at the moment.  When it rains, it pours....but who's worrying aye?  Not me,  :ph34r: ….just yet

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 11:11 PM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey all

I might be using this for the engine.

P&W R-985.pngIt all depends on how the 3D model will print. I'm going to try doing it in one piece and also in individual parts. I won't be doing the spark plug wires, oil cross-over tubes or the push rods. I will be adding those using ANYZ plugs and wires along with small Albion tubing. Not sure how I will be doing the oil cross-over tubes yet. So what do you think?  I did another post on making these in different scales and maybe selling them.

Ron G 

Considering the scale at which you're working, and the fineness of some of the parts, in my experience of 3d printing in SLS Nylon, I think you might be better off printing it in one piece, as the very thin components will at least have some support. On the other hand, depending on the interval at scale, the cooling fins on the heads and cylinders will be very difficult to render, and if they do, will likely be filled with powder, requiring some very gentle old-toothbrush work to bring out. In that situation, the flat strips on the front of the engine may be in the way...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...