The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

New Tamiya P-51 variant coming?

BlrwestSiR

Was just on Lucky Model and they have a 1/32 F-51D Korean War Mustang listed. 

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA 60328

The part number and price seem to fit in line with the rest of the line. Providing it's correct, I wonder what Tamiya will be adding to the kit? Even though it's just possibly just a new version of an existing kit, at least it's something.

Carl

• Like 5

If it's correct, probably the cuffless Hamilton-Standard prop, zero-length rocket stubs for the wings, hopefully new radios and also the panel with cooling slots on the sides of the radiator housing just behind the wing root (curiously it's a separate part on the Tamiya kit, so just a guess) 

...so everything you need to make most RCAF Mustangs. ;)

Richard

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

So Richard, how many are you getting? :D

And nice to see you here. 

Carl

:D Emptying out a closet as we speak, just in case.

Thanks Carl, I realized I had joined here a while back, but forgot. Good to see familiar names I haven't seen for a while, and their work.

Hope you're doing ok too!

Richard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Wonder if they've fixed the panel lines? ...

:stirthepot:

Mwahahahahaha

Rog :)

Rog, you're a bad boy.  Don't even open that can. That's like asking 10 historians to mix the correct shade of RLM02. You'll get 10 different shades...   and each will be right.

But as others have said: "on models, it's a compromise". NAA puttied the major parts of the wings at the factory, then painted them silver. We all know that. Then, field service teams sometimes maintained that or not. Who really knows who did or didn't? I have no clue. 

A man much wiser than myself once said that what does it matter?  In 1/32, if we were "in scale", panel lines wouild be pretty much invisible at a normal viewing distance no matter what. So I actually really like the approach made by the designer of the Revell P-51D-5. The wing appears somewhat puttied, but the access, fuel, gun, and inspection panels are nicely visible for those who wish them there. 

So we build them as we want. If we want a newish bird that hasn't been torn up and rebuilt yet, we have smoother wings. If we're looking to depict a turd ready for the back shop and a total rebuild, we accentuate the lines a tiny amount to reflect wear.    

I'd say that applies to most all aircraft with flush panel edges, not just Mustangs.   

If you're a P-51D fan, Tamiya, ZM, and Revell of Germany have you covered pretty well....

I'm expecting ZM's P-51B to be absolutely mind blowing.  Some very good minds are making this one come together nicely.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Rog, you're a bad boy...

... as can be noted in my evil laugh ...

My personal preference is for the ZM Mk.IV - and sadly this is not my subject matter ... But nice of Tamiya to give John more ammo!!

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Artful69 said:

... as can be noted in my evil laugh ...

My personal preference is for the ZM Mk.IV - and sadly this is not my subject matter ... But nice of Tamiya to give John more ammo!!

I’m partial to the ZM Mk.lV as well, having discovered the possibilities of that kit a couple years back.  It’s my “go to” Mustang kit now.

And yes, I expect John will reload..  if he ever gets this way, I have a stack of Tamiya stuff I expect I’ll never, ever build. I’m more a resin guy these days...

as evidenced by my pitiful model production. I’m forever sanding on something.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...