The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Thoughts on the Hobby Boss Mk.V Spitfire?

I’d say that compared to the Tamiya Spitfires, it is a Mk V ... Compared to the Revell Mk II, it is also a Mark V ....

When I say « it is », I really meant « it is supposed to be », btw.

Besides the comparisons above, there is not much to say for the kit ...

Hubert

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HubertB said:

I’d say that compared to the Tamiya Spitfires, it is a Mk V ... Compared to the Revell Mk II, it is also a Mark V ....

When I say « it is », I really meant « it is supposed to be », btw.

Besides the comparisons above, there is not much to say for the kit ...

Hubert

Really? That's disappointing. 

Thanks Hubert. I will hold onto my 70 odd dollars.

After I complete my Frank, then daunless, I should look at building my Spitfire VIII. I have been reading a lot about Spit's and I read that apparently the VIII was more advanced than the IX, and the IX was rushed into service while kinks in the VIII were worked out. I didn't know this. Not that I would build it for this reason. I have lovely RAAF decals for the VIII.

Thanks again Hubert. :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

I built two of these recently and found them to be very well engineered kits, I thoroughly enjoyed building them. They needed some help from Barracuda and for the Mk. V Trop I used the HPH upgrade kit as the kit canopy/windscreen is all wrong. They are not Tamiya but nice kits to build.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 4

Strange that apart from the Mk VIII and XVI Tamiya never issued other versions. The short nose Spits such as Mk I/II and the MK V are generally similar and there is a wide appeal with the Battle of Britain, Dieppe etc. Most aces flew these.

Cees

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

After I complete my Frank, then daunless, I should look at building my Spitfire VIII.

The Tamiya VIII is a very nice kit. I've built one as an VIII and converted a couple more to a VII, XI and XIV.  

Dale, if you're looking to add a V to your collection maybe start with the Revell II and use the AML V conversion set? I think it may out to be less than a Hobby Boss V would be before corrections. 

Carl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 12:30 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

Dale, if you're looking to add a V to your collection maybe start with the Revell II and use the AML V conversion set? I think it may out to be less than a Hobby Boss V would be before corrections. 

Carl

Mmmmm ... never heard of AML, Carl ... got a linky? ... the Revell Mk.II - apart from its clunky appearance - is already half a Mk.V anyway ... In fact you actually need a Barracuda correction set to build the Mk.II

Rog :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 10:42 PM, Wingco57 said:

Strange that apart from the Mk VIII and XVI Tamiya never issued other versions. The short nose Spits such as Mk I/II and the MK V are generally similar and there is a wide appeal with the Battle of Britain, Dieppe etc. Most aces flew these.

Cees

It would be great if Tamiya upscales their new Mk I.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Mmmmm ... never heard of AML, Carl ... got a linky? ... the Revell Mk.II - apart from its clunky appearance - is already half a Mk.V anyway ... In fact you actually need a Barracuda correction set to build the Mk.II

Rog, I got it from Hannants:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLA3212?result-token=fwH8U

It's the wing cannon blisters and barrels so an easy conversion to use. 

Here's my Revell kit with the conversion kit.

IMG_20180814_210136-L.jpg

They also make an E wing conversion for the Tamiya IX kit.

Carl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Rog, I got it from Hannants:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLA3212?result-token=fwH8U

It's the wing cannon blisters and barrels so an easy conversion to use. 

Here's my Revell kit with the conversion kit.

They also make an E wing conversion for the Tamiya IX kit.

Carl

THAT looks cool ... clipped wings and all ...

Getting completely nerdified here but ... wouldn't there be a change of wing panel lines for Mk.IIa to Mk.Vb also??

It cannot be just as simple as adding a blister and a pair of barrels ... surely?? ... I mean the modelling gods just don't DO that!!

E - Wing?? ... there are way too many variations!! I wish Edgar Brooks had published a book!! :blink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1