The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

MB13

Hi guys, so I'm back in the hobby after about 20 years, unbelievable how the hobby have changed in those years can't believe it! There is an air force base near where I live so I see F/A-18 almost every day so I decided to go with the Revell 1/48 F-18 to start it off. I did not want to wheter it too mutch as I think the ''too pronunced panel wash'' makes it kind of cartoonish and unrealistic, so went with another technique. I also don't own an airbrush so I did the best I could with what I saw on the net and here is the result, the ones I did back in the days where not near as good as this one but it's still not as perfect as I would have liked so I have some questions:

1- What technique do you use to hand brush your models (For those who still do it lol) Primer or no primer, thin the paint a lot or not that much, what brush to use.. etc

2- Do you have some tricks or anything else that helps for filling, sanding, wheathering etc..

3- I'm hopened to criticism so any tips or advice or anything on everything that could help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!

YTdKHeS.jpga5LUj6J.jpgnF0Dlmn.jpgo7pYlwI.jpgLjdi87a.jpgwxg2Mbb.jpgQKbhbhU.jpgRN2DVxN.jpga8UBqdl.jpgMGeI5x9.jpguyGvRBE.jpgKDjVXoJ.jpgaG1rduQ.jpgn0dK2yn.jpgWWuojiO.jpgoCZ2i3y.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hand painted ?? Very nicely done. I would of never know it was 1/48 either. The only comment, if I may, is the brush strokes/ weathering on the top of the wings. To me, they are too well aced and over done. But besides that, hat's off to you.i hope we see more works from you. Welcome aboard.......harv :1051927712:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harv said:

Hand painted ?? Very nicely done. I would of never know it was 1/48 either. The only comment, if I may, is the brush strokes/ weathering on the top of the wings. To me, they are too well aced and over done. But besides that, hat's off to you.i hope we see more works from you. Welcome aboard.......harv :1051927712:

Thanks Harv! Yes I know the wheathering shows a little bit too much, not blended enough on the wings, it was my first attempt at that technique, I will try an do it better next time :P Also it seems to be more apparent on pics than witj the naked eye kind of strange lol

• Like 1

Very nice work on your F-18 and the way to display in flight. Tipps, you want tipps for brush painting from us, I think at least I could learn a lot from your experiences painting large surfaces evenly by brush.
Welcome to LSM and if you like stay non LSM (1/48) as we are open to every scale, material and preference.

Cheers Rob 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

Very nice work on your F-18 and the way to display in flight. Tipps, you want tipps for brush painting from us, I think at least I could learn a lot from your experiences painting large surfaces evenly by brush.
Welcome to LSM and if you like stay non LSM (1/48) as we are open to every scale, material and preference.

Cheers Rob 

Thank you Rob I really appreciate it!! :) I'm returning to the hobby and tought I could learn some brushing tricks from the experienced guys, did not expect to read kind words like these! We'll see if it's just beginner's luck after my F-22 haha!

• Like 2

Very nice result, especially with a brush. Your first two subjects are certainly challenging for you as the 'simple' grey schemes are a lot less forgiving compared to other less monochrome schemes.

I've always found the type of paint has a huge influence on the quality of the result I can get with a brush but you seem to have found a good range there right of the bat. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Welcome aboard to our nice corner of the web thingy. Great first show, congratulations, I was where you are about 5 years ago, yep it’s daunting how the hobby has moved on. Looking forward to more builds.......

Thanks you!! :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Very nice result, especially with a brush. Your first two subjects are certainly challenging for you as the 'simple' grey schemes are a lot less forgiving compared to other less monochrome schemes.

I've always found the type of paint has a huge influence on the quality of the result I can get with a brush but you seem to have found a good range there right of the bat. 

Thanks a lot!! I'm starting to paint the Raptor and tried the Model Air but did not have the same results as with the Model Color, so now I have to find the right colors in the Model range to match the Air colors.. this jet is a real challenge for my 2nd model.. hope it will turn out ok.. :)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Very, very nice job!  It actually looks better than many of my efforts,.. and I've been back in the hobby 9 years now after a 20 year hiatus.

And welcome to LSM!!  You did it in style!!

Thank you Clunkmeister appreciate it!! :) You also brush your models? Would like to see them!! :D

• Like 1