Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Photo Etched Bending Tools

SapperSix

I bought mine from Micro-Mark. It was made of hard PA66 (a plastic type) at the time. It works well, and I am happy with it.

Nowadays, you get some in machined metal, which is better as you get sharper edges at the bending point.

From Micro-Mark https://www.micromark.com/Etch-Buddy-Photo-Etch-Bending-Fixture

And the top items, quality-wise, from RP Toolz. If you peruse their site, and are a tool-geek like me, you can easily spend a few kits’ worth on their site, but you won’t regret it.

http://rptoolz.unas.hu/en/spl/450289/PIRANHA-PE-tools

HTH

Hubert

• Like 4

Bending PE is much easier and less dreading with the right tools. I got some different ones depending on what is to bend size ways, shape ways and complexity wise.
For tiny parts I have a Tamiya made tweezer with a flat head, perfectly for e.g. optics in tank cupolas and other tiny stuff. Then there are flat pliers with differently shaped heads in my tool box.
With a bending tool, you should first analyse your requirement size wise. If you plan to bend lets say landing flaps in 1/32 or large armor sheets you need a bigger tool. For these bigger tools you should get an equally long bending blade, smaller parts can be bend with a scalpel blade. It's always more fun to work with well designed tools made out of appropriate materials.
I have this 5'' tool from the Small Shop since years and can recommend it highly.
https://thesmallshop.com/collections/photo-etch-bending-tools/products/sms004-5-5-inch-hold-and-fold-the-5-speed

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

I guess it depends on what you are doing, I bought the Etch Mate 3C years ago but never had much luck with it but I seldom do any PE work larger than cockpit size stuff and I find I have better luck nailing bend points using single edge razor blades and chisel tip X-acto blades. For airframe parts like flaps or large pieces used on armor a bending tool is probably the best way to go.

• Like 2

Thank you gentlemen for your welcome advice. 

Hubert,  Thank you for reminding me of RP.  I have ordered there in the past and have always missed the big Piranha PE bender or decided at the last minute it wasn't worth the coin.  I bought the 195MM Piranha and am looking forward to getting better at my PE.  I bought it for flexibility in regards to the add length.  

I have a two 1/35 Strykers kits with full PE RPG cages and what not.  I also have full PE sets for a 1/32 Super Stallion and CH-47.  They are a ways out there but I am working my way to them. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DocRob said:

Bending PE is much easier and less dreading with the right tools. I got some different ones depending on what is to bend size ways, shape ways and complexity wise.
For tiny parts I have a Tamiya made tweezer with a flat head, perfectly for e.g. optics in tank cupolas and other tiny stuff. Then there are flat pliers with differently shaped heads in my tool box.
With a bending tool, you should first analyse your requirement size wise. If you plan to bend lets say landing flaps in 1/32 or large armor sheets you need a bigger tool. For these bigger tools you should get an equally long bending blade, smaller parts can be bend with a scalpel blade. It's always more fun to work with well designed tools made out of appropriate materials.
I have this 5'' tool from the Small Shop since years and can recommend it highly.
https://thesmallshop.com/collections/photo-etch-bending-tools/products/sms004-5-5-inch-hold-and-fold-the-5-speed

Cheers Rob

I was laughing as I read this as I do this myself.  I am taking your advice to heart I sure appreciate the input.

• Like 3

I don't get the laughing part Sapper, but looked up the RP tool. Nice stuff, but I recommend to add an evenly long sharp blade for e.g. landing flaps. It makes sharp bendings of big parts much easier.
Some time ago I added this little gem to my tools repertoire and use it a lot for tiny parts.

Cheers Rob  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2020 at 5:41 AM, Bomber_County said:

I have an ancients Mission Models Etchmate 3C, I agree with Hubert the new generation are metal so can be a little more precise. I’m happy with the 3C and a tool box full of straight pliers for all of the other tiny or complex bend jobs......

Have the same. It is used on occasion.  I agree with statements about the newer ones.....harv

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DocRob said:

I don't get the laughing part Sapper, but looked up the RP tool. Nice stuff, but I recommend to add an evenly long sharp blade for e.g. landing flaps. It makes sharp bendings of big parts much easier.
Some time ago I added this little gem to my tools repertoire and use it a lot for tiny parts.

No Worries Doc.  I found it humorous that worlds apart we found the same solution to form handles.  As you described it, I was able to visualize it succinctly. 

I hadn't thought too much about the blade.  Looks like I will need to revisit that one.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harv said:

Have the same. It is used on occasion.  I agree with statements about the newer ones.....harv

It wont be long before I am swearing up a storm when I start messing up parts.  I am glad to know you have also used one.