The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

“Dinghy” Young’s “Dambusters” Lancaster

12 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

Hi all,

I had this itch to build a propeller type again. And if it itches you have to scratch. Although this time no scratchbuilding is involved, ...I hope.

Here’s a start with the tailplanes.

47094558-2209-469C-9867-6354AC40C766.jpeg

6ACD058F-860E-4CF2-8C65-06022274E5D5.jpeg

40F70ECF-5913-4746-8B86-4A21C5372BBD.jpeg

Great to see another Dambuster here. 
Good choice of subject! Can‘t wait to see the progress!

Did you buy any aftermarket goodies? Which ones? 

• Like 5

*Head shaking*.... Manchester *cough* ... Spey Phantom *cough*....

Only joking - I always enjoy your builds, Cees - and I'm sure this will be no exception. I've got the standard BI/BIII in the pile and keep getting in out and putting it away - I've promised myself I must finish off some other big projects before I start the Lanc to do it the justice it deserves. I'll be taking notes...

Tom 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Thanks chaps,

For this build the usual suspects such as aftermarket interior set by Eduard, still got some left from the Manchester (I haven't forgotten on that one Tom;))

And masks for the the transparencies. I plan not to use decals for the markings this time. Had used some of these for the squadron codes on the Manchester and was very pleased with the result. Multi corlour fuselage roundels will be a challenge I think.

I plan to fully finish the tailplanes with camouflage and fin flashes, weathering etc. before starting on other assemblies to keep the project on track.

Cees

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wingco57 said:

Thanks chaps,

For this build the usual suspects such as aftermarket interior set by Eduard, still got some left from the Manchester (I haven't forgotten on that one Tom;))

And masks for the the transparencies. I plan not to use decals for the markings this time. Had used some of these for the squadron codes on the Manchester and was very pleased with the result. Multi corlour fuselage roundels will be a challenge I think.

I plan to fully finish the tailplanes with camouflage and fin flashes, weathering etc. before starting on other assemblies to keep the project on track.

Cees

Thanks for the Infos, Cees!

Really nothing more needed. Painting on the marks is a good decision also regarding the size of the decals and weathering aspects. I also was afraid especially of the 4-color fuselage and the very big wing-roundels. 

The Lancaster was my first build for which I used masks.
I used the masks from TopNotch which included a good description especially for the alignment. Although I‘m a newbie it worked. 

• Like 4

The reason why I chose this particular aircraft is that the actual one crashed in de area where the museum,I work for as a volunteer, is located. Recently some pieces of wreckage were identified at a small museum nearby of which  they didn’t know it was from an aircraft, let alone such a famous one.

We all know the pic of the wreck at the beach. In fact until February 1953 it was still lying there and one of our former volunteers used to hide in it during bad weather circumstances. During the 1953 springflood it was washed away. It must be there under the sand still. And we regularly try to find it.

The tailplanes have been finished ready for a coat of paint.

B7909444-4B33-4427-A137-24BF6A7EE6F7.jpeg

B9915CC6-CC1C-4366-8309-E59C28A8A5C9.jpeg

• Like 4

Airbrushing of the tailplanes and fins has been  completed. Tamiya gloss black sprays beautifully. The camo has been glossed with floorpolish. Due to the many fragile actuators I won’t spray the finflashes. Decals it is. The risk of breakage is too high. I am a coward I know:ph34r:

77E129A3-5251-4F99-A2B4-EB8AE2735485.jpeg

5CAE79CA-F6E1-4DF8-84D9-955D83F2A69D.jpeg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Wingco57 said:

Airbrushing of the tailplanes and fins has been  completed. Tamiya gloss black sprays beautifully. The camo has been glossed with floorpolish. Due to the many fragile actuators I won’t spray the finflashes. Decals it is. The risk of breakage is too high. I am a coward I know:ph34r:

77E129A3-5251-4F99-A2B4-EB8AE2735485.jpeg

5CAE79CA-F6E1-4DF8-84D9-955D83F2A69D.jpeg

Looks really good and shiny!

I attached all the small bits at the end of my build (and could therefore spray the finflashes ;)) and also the tailplanes at the very end due to being anxious that parts may break and be gone forever...

• Like 4

Thanks, I thought of that too but the linkages are so fragile and glueing suface is so small I decided against it. I will finish the entire tailplane and then store it away safely. This is to break this large model into smaller projects (I did learn from the Manchester project). Funny that the Manchester camo is different to the Lancaster. Will make a nice comparison when both are completed in due time (although the engine section for the Manchester is still an unsolved problem).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I did have two in fact and the plan was to cover them in milliput. It failed but still have one them . A solution will come in the end.

now that airbrushing of the tail is finished I started building the tailturret. A nice little project. Of course I broke one of the tubular supports and these will be replaced by suitable rods.

D23DAD8C-2A93-413B-9117-E40D037DDCC0.jpeg

5091D176-794A-46FE-8506-0FAA86DE16A4.jpeg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

I did have two in fact and the plan was to cover them in milliput. It failed but still have one them . A solution will come in the end.

now that airbrushing of the tail is finished I started building the tailturret. A nice little project. Of course I broke one of the tubular supports and these will be replaced by suitable rods.

D23DAD8C-2A93-413B-9117-E40D037DDCC0.jpeg

5091D176-794A-46FE-8506-0FAA86DE16A4.jpeg

Nice Progress, Cees!

Will the frames be silver or black? 

And be careful when you glue the glasshouse to it: I used Tamiya the extra thin cement and due to the narrow space between the brackets on the left and right side and the glass the capillary effect sucked the cement in and glued the glass to the brackets. You can image how this looked like and I only discovered it after removing of the masks. Wasn‘t easy to repair...

Keep on with the good progress! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Thanks, I also use extra thin but not with glass parts. As you say it has a habit of botching up things you don't expect. As the daimsraid took place

in May 1943 I suspect that the interior was black. Will check pics beforehand of course. This build is a nice comparison to the Manchester and every now and then I will post some pics together.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Wingco57 said:

Thanks, I also use extra thin but not with glass parts. As you say it has a habit of botching up things you don't expect. As the daimsraid took place

in May 1943 I suspect that the interior was black. Will check pics beforehand of course. This build is a nice comparison to the Manchester and every now and then I will post some pics together.

I think you are correct. ED887 and 932 are out of the same production batch and the framing in the front and rear turret was black. Here are 2 pics of ED887 out of the Dambuster-Book. 
Maybe in vain since I believe you have it.

I love your Manchester Conversion. Great job on this one. Nice idea to post comparison pics. 

691A4524-A0EB-41DD-95B1-DC8BEC6FAD2A.jpeg

F6EA3A5D-2A0C-43F2-B0FC-7CCCA7B0B1AE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1