The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 910

Hi all since I work in a classic Porsche restoration workshop I've built a few Porsche models I've been after this one for a while (as it's one of my all time fav Porsches) 

I won't be doing it as any of the box art one but one we have in the workshop regularly the number 20 car.

I've added a few 1/24 models for scale ref.

IMG_6468.jpg

IMG_6536.jpg

IMG_6537.jpg

IMG_6538.jpg

IMG_6539.jpg

IMG_6535.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks guys

I wasn't happy with the scale of the kit supplied fuel lines (nearly double the size they should have been at just over 1mm (the actual lines are a tad over 6mm)

The only photo ref I have atm is this.

I know they are metal in the pic but back then they were clear nylon because they were lighter than metal ones but when they added more ethanol to modern fuel they started to fail (the nylon ones that is) and so modern cars have metal, anyway I've gone of subject metal ones is the only ref I have atm and the nylon ones were a tad smaller so the kit ones are definitely over scale.

I've done some weathering on the engine as well and added a few ancillary parts 

IMG_6594.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6609.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

• Like 8

OK take some lead solder squash it flat put a couple of bends in it paint one of the bent tabs satin black repeat 12 times and you have a sparkplug retainer. Take some heat shrink tube cut to 2 mm add to the ht lead add some heat and you have a sparkplug cap.

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6639.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg

IMG_6642.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Had a bit of a disaster on the masking of this, I Sprayed white over the masking to seal it before spraying the blue but it still bled under the masking really badly. I must admit I did think this masking tape doesn't seem very sticky, just goes to show you should trust your instincts.

I've sanded it back, do you think I should remove all the blue paint or will this be enough.

PSX_20210406_204312.jpg

PSX_20210406_204208.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6665.jpg

IMG_6666.jpg

IMG_6667.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Bummer. Your sanding should be enough before the repaint. One trick I have learned is to spray gloss varnish on the mask before the new paint coat. It seals the tape, and if there are any bleeds, they are of a gloss coat.

Hubert

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Kpnuts said:

Hi all more done on this.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/dbK91VQ/IMG-6718.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/Y2kF2sP/IMG-6717.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/mbGK6jC/IMG-6716.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/vm9d1kL/IMG-6715.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/ggSHYkB/IMG-6714.jpg[/img]

I can’t see the pictures! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You wouldn't believe how hard the suspension on this is and don't get me started on the connection of the wheels to the drive shafts.

I've started scratching the slide throttle linkage for it, the guys at work hate this system, there is a plate with 3 holes in it the size if the venturi of the flutes that runs on bearings and slides forwards and backwards to enlarge or reduce the air fuel ratio by sliding the hole thus reducing or enlarging the venturi, it's prone to leaks and not a great system.

This car had other throttle linkage systems which were better but the one depicted in the kit is this one so (as it's the car I've worked on it's the one I will try to depict) 

• Like 3

OK some pics of progress so far, I really don't like the tamiya idea of doing the suspension, it's s=€t took ages to do and is very fragile (must be why they give you one extra of each suspension part)

I generally like tamiya kits but not a fan of this one for design of assembly luckily I didn't do the suspension in the order tamiya suggest as it would have been even harder to accomplish done in the way the instructions suggest 

IMG_6868.jpg

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6876.jpg

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Did more work on the 910 made the porsche decals for the side (quite pleased with them) masked and painted the windscreen and built the dashboard. 
Working on the font for the number 20 (proving quite difficult)

IMG_6897.jpg

IMG_6896.jpg

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6890.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg

• Like 6