The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Tamiya Spit Mk IX

As some of you know, I like to keep something going all the time. LOL So, now that I'm finished with the A-20, I will move on to a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IX. I intend to do this one (pictured) BUT that is subject to change. Great kits the Tamiya 1/32 a/c and a pleasure to build. This will be my 6th Tamiya Spitfire.

Change of subject. THIS is the one I have decided on.

SpitMkIX.jpg

• Like 13

John

Great decision for the new build and I'll be following all the way :popcorn: I only have two Tamiya Spits finished and in the display case: Mk IX and a Mk VIII and no way will I ever catch you in number built. And then add add your Corsair and Mustang builds - staggering for sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Great decision for the new build and I'll be following all the way :popcorn: I only have two Tamiya Spits finished and in the display case: Mk IX and a Mk VIII and no way will I ever catch you in number built. And then add add your Corsair and Mustang builds - staggering for sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! Tamiya must put something in their 1/32 kits that makes them addictive.:)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Harv

On Tamiya USA site and scroll down the page a bit. Both the 1/32 MK VIII and XVIE are on sale for $99 each.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Well you know what that means! I'll have to fork out some cash. Thanks for the heads up!:)

I just went there and ordered a Mk VIII. :D  Probably a good thing for my credit card that they don't have any of the Corsairs on sale!!!!!

• Like 7

John

Too good of a deal to pass up if you need a Spit. I've been investing in my ZM He219 upcoming build, kit purchased and all the MPH Paints as well. After that, I'm also pretty much ready for a go at the 1/32 HB B-26B and all the Eduard Big Ed sets, Resin2 resin details parts and replacement R2800 engines to replace the kit radials - not resin but full engines just the same. I've purchased a few  48th scale ZM F4's and Tamiya F-14's.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Too good of a deal to pass up if you need a Spit. I've been investing in my ZM He219 upcoming build, kit purchased and all the MPH Paints as well. After that, I'm also pretty much ready for a go at the 1/32 HB B-26B and all the Eduard Big Ed sets, Resin2 resin details parts and replacement R2800 engines to replace the kit radials - not resin but full engines just the same. I've purchased a few  48th scale ZM F4's and Tamiya F-14's.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

Wow Peter! That looks like a big ol' chunk of model building to chew on! LOL :)

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Can't wait to see you start this John.  I've done a few Tamiya Spits as well but not JE-J. I did JE-J Jr though. 

And yes, I think Tamiya slips something into their kits that makes them addictive. 

Carl

I've made a little "progress" by drilling out the lightening holes in the cockpit bulkheads plus spraying the interior parts with Grey Green. Next will be black parts such as the instrument panel, etc. I considered JE-J Jr but decided on JE-J. :)

• Like 6

Nice choice, I have a PCM Mk.IX lined up after my current builds and will probably build it as JE*J as well, strangely with my fascination with Spitfires I have never built a Mk IX. I have built I, II, V, VI, VIII, and XIV but no IX.

So will have to get my finger out, I do have a Tamiya IX but the PCM version has been in the stash the longest.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Nice choice, I have a PCM Mk.IX lined up after my current builds and will probably build it as JE*J as well, strangely with my fascination with Spitfires I have never built a Mk IX. I have built I, II, V, VI, VIII, and XIV but no IX.

So will have to get my finger out, I do have a Tamiya IX but the PCM version has been in the stash the longest.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Yep, seniority has it's place! LOL I look forward to seeing your build. :)

• Like 4

Some progress. Drilled out the lightening holes in the cockpit bulkheads, painted the Grey Green interior parts (thanks to BillS for the paint!), the black parts and painted the seat.

4-1-21 001.jpg

• Like 9

John

Nice start on your Spit - nothing like a Tamiya kit.

Yup, I agree - I have a lot planned for the present and future but like always, new releases seem to beg to be bought and added. Right now my goal is to finish up by get back to modeling and hand therapy project, the Revell P-51 and dig into the ZM Uhu - should keep me occupied for a good number of months. Even with being sick and spending a lot of time going back and forth to doctors and chemo, being retired, still leaves my more modelling time then I've ever had. Of course, working naps into my day is right up there in the importance list.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice start on your Spit - nothing like a Tamiya kit.

Yup, I agree - I have a lot planned for the present and future but like always, new releases seem to beg to be bought and added. Right now my goal is to finish up by get back to modeling and hand therapy project, the Revell P-51 and dig into the ZM Uhu - should keep me occupied for a good number of months. Even with being sick and spending a lot of time going back and forth to doctors and chemo, being retired, still leaves my more modelling time then I've ever had. Of course, working naps into my day is right up there in the importance list.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I expect you will be well occupied building, napping, etc.:D Hopefully your chemo won't interfere with it. That just would not do! LOL

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Jeff said:

They look excellent

Not too bad I guess. Some fabric ones would likely look more realistic but I just can't see well enough to thread the belts through the buckles. :D Getting old sucks! :)

• Like 5

I hear you on the getting old bit... my damn knees are giving me Hell these days... too many years climbing and jumping off heavy equipment and big trucks..... still though, the belts look great, I have yet to try the fabric ones....

• Like 3