The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24th Airfix Mosquito

Hey Guys,

Been throwing a bit of paint around tonight  :). Done with Xtracolor enamels. 

Now with stripes! You wouldn't believe how much of a PITA those fuselage bands were to mask....!

SAM_0224_zpsb11a99a6.jpg

SAM_0223_zpsd36a5d88.jpg

Hope you like. Gonna give it a day or two to cure, then the main colours go on. It's coming together now  :D

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 2

Guest styrenedemon

I guess I am going to have to do more lurking over here. I don't want to be missing stuff like this epicness....

HOLY COW....simply amazing work. 

Hey Guys & Gals,

Big thanks for all the kind words!

More paint today! :) All done in Xtra Color enamels (I like this paint. I like it a lot).

Got the top coats done, after my 24 hour charity Maskathon......

Check it out, what do you think?

SAM_0225_zpsf0186538.jpg

SAM_0227_zpsddc0184d.jpg

SAM_0228_zps74b17650.jpg

SAM_0229_zps53e8eea8.jpg

SAM_0230_zpsc16b82df.jpg

I have some masks on the way from Mal at Miracle Masks. I'll let it fully cure for a few days and then shoot the markings! Coming along well now  :D

Cheers people!

Chris.

• Like 3

Hey Guys,

I managed to get a bit more done, despite being distracted with something called 'Work' and 'Sorting out the Garden' (??).  :rolleyes:

Anyway, got the front end completed. Browning .303's with Master barrels. The rest is kit standard apart from the cloth handles on top of the ammo boxes, made from lead foil. Check it out:

SAM_0231_zps5dca339e.jpg

SAM_0232_zps231129e6.jpg

SAM_0237_zps12415cde.jpg

SAM_0238_zps53efa2b6.jpg

SAM_0239_zps0a2e2ef9.jpg

SAM_0240_zpsc96c2e63.jpg

Thanks Guys,

Chris.

• Like 6

Just superb!  She really is a big bird, but...  with a very trim waist and I'm incredibly jealous.  

Can you clarify something for me?  The yellow circles, I know they're to denote armour plate but I recall reading that the circle is to "face the enemy" as you have it; in other words, it was an installation guide at the time.  Is this how you understand it ?  

I assume it was the manner in which the armour plate was devised and manufactured that dictated which side should be exposed to weapons' fire so as to provide maximum protection to the occupants.

Hey Guys,

Cheers for looking  :) .

Martin, I would like to see it finished too! It's dragging on a bit innit?! Getting there though, slowly.....

Grant, It's my belief - and I'm open to correction here - that the yellow circles do indeed denote 'armour plate', and were always painted on the forward face of the plate. However, the Airfix kit instructions show the yellow circle on the rear of the pilot's seat armour, which is where I have put it, so I may be wrong in my placement (but it's a bit late now!) I also read somewhere that the yellow denotes that the plate is non magnetic(?) as to not interfere with compasses and the like. Not sure how a steel armour plate was made to be non-magnetic though.....

Chris.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, I honestly think we're both right and (I know I'm going a very painful place for saying it) Airfix wrong! I didn't know the theory behind the non-magnetic aspect though - I'm not sure I believe it but its a good theory anyway.

Hey Guys,

Small update. I've got the markings sprayed up. All done courtesy of Mal at Miracle Masks. Top man and a quality product! Cheers Mal  :respect: .

Got a few minor touch-ups to do, but generally I'm pretty happy with the result.

SAM_0252_zps10326069.jpg

SAM_0251_zps7a8ac932.jpg

SAM_0250_zps48ffadd7.jpg

SAM_0249_zps0d5ee02c.jpg

SAM_0248_zpsd1b8e18a.jpg

I'm now just finishing off detailing the undercarriage doors, then I can fit the undercarriage/engine pods and get this thing on its wheels!

Cheers Guys,

Chris.

• Like 2

Guest styrenedemon

Beautiful..how far do you plan to go with weathering? You've done such a beautiful job, I don't think it needs much more than a panel line wash and a flat coat.

Thanks Guys. I'm definitely starting to see a small light at the end of a very long tunnel!!

Beautiful..how far do you plan to go with weathering? You've done such a beautiful job, I don't think it needs much more than a panel line wash and a flat coat.

These things got pretty grubby from looking at some period photos, especially around the underside of the engines. I'll probably dirty it up around these areas a little but be a little more reserved with the rest.

Beautiful! Are the stencils dry transfers or a decal?

The yellow and black stencilling are kit decals. Pretty good, printed by Cartograf. Nice touch Airfix!

Cheers guys, back soon with a bit more.

Chris.