Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

KH P-39 Airacobra

On 6/26/2021 at 7:42 AM, Peterpools said:

Got ya and much appreciated. I’ve more then a few times bailed out and removed the KH T-6 from an order

My only Kitty Hawk kit is the T-6 with a heap of AM and I planned to build it soon into a Portuguese version and give it to a friend as a present. Now, that I read your comments, I'm a little worried, I was not expecting a perfect kit, but no complete desaster either. Is it really so bad?

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DocRob said:

My only Kitty Hawk kit is the T-6 with a heap of AM and I planned to build it soon into a Portuguese version and give it to a friend as a present. Now, that I read your comments, I'm a little worried, I was not expecting a perfect kit, but no complete desaster either. Is it really so bad?

Cheers Rob

Sorry for the thread hijack, Peter.

The T-6 is a pet subject of mine, and I had it as a resin project before Glen Coleman told me of KH plans. Finding one's way among the different variants, and the differences between them, is not the easiest task (still easier than the B-24, but I am not sure that is a good comparison :rolleyes:). Let's say KH did not conduct their research as thoroughly and exhaustively as they could have done (but then, maybe they would still be waiting to dot the final "i" and cross the final "t" before commiting to design).

In short, the T-6 kit is accurate for only one version, wich is the warbird on which they based their design, i.e. "Deb". But then the owners of "Deb" were not that interested in historical accuracy for their bird, or did not bother to look for the right spare parts - assuming they could find them - to have a more accurate rebuild of the airframe it was issued from.

As far as accuracy is concerned, the most blatant issues are the too-narrow MLG track, easily solvable, and the propeller - but AMS did a very nice replacement. The cockpit is roughly OK, although not representing the original completely accurately (the fuselage frame was bolted to the complete wing, which ran from one tip to another). Speaking of the wing, its profile is wrong, too thin, but I guess this had to do with the design constraints of the kit. Nobody but the experts will notice anyway.

There is more but, in summary, KH's T-6 is a good - and stand-alone - basis to achieve a great 1/32 T-6 with some TLC.

Hubert

• Like 3

Ant

Same here - would love a good Texan without the issues. I've enjoyed following your build thread, just incredible work as always.

I'm retired now, so getting together when you are here on the Island would be an early Christmas present. Right now, I'm still under Doctors orders - not to be out among anyone and I have to social distance at all times and then after my next Petscan we'll see how it goes.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

Hubert

No problems at all and your conversation with Rob is very interesting. I'm sorry for spreading negative thoughts about any of the other KH kits but just trying to be honest on what I've experienced with the P-39. For me, too many issues and road blocks to deal with to enjoy the build.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

Wings and Tailfeathers 6/27/21

It’s been a busy week and some progress has been made – the wings are on and the tailfeathers are being fitted in place. Loads of work to do and I’m guessing a few weeks to clean things up for a good fit for the wings and horizontal stabilizers.

The Wings

Built up as per the instructions and surprisingly, no major problems. Of course, that all ended when I went to test fit each wing and the fit was deplorable. Out came the sanding sticks and grinding away I went. I lost track of the hours I sanded away removing almost the interior gear wall that sits up against the fuselage and the wing fillet area as well. In retrospect, I should have removed that portion of the wheel well as soon as I saw what the major problem was and now I need to clean things up and replace what was removed.  

Next up was trying to figure out the correct dihedral. Looking at loads photos, I was on the right track in that I decided to use the front spar that is visible behind the air intakes at the wing root for alignment, the correct dihedral and it seemed to work.

Installing the air intakes were another story as the parts weren’t close to fitting. At first I was going to install them on the wing and then glue the wing in place – wouldn’t work as I couldn’t see the spar for alignment and not to mention, the wing didn’t fit at all now. Onto plan two, glue the wings on and then play around with the intakes to get them to fit. As you can see from the photographs, filler and sanding is going to be needed to clean up this area.

I also decided to use some bits and pieces made from strip styrene to bring a bit more life to the radio boxes behind the rear cockpit bulkhead and it still needs to be painted and dry brushed.

I started to seriously play around with the two top nose cowl panels and a way to get to get them to fit. Why couldn’t KH just make this a two piece affair instead of six panels is beyond me and save all this work for those of us who want a clean nose area?

The front office glass is still resting in place and the fit seems to be OK but only time will tell.

For some of the parts, I’ve started using Revell Contacta Professional Glue and am very pleased with the results so far. I’m finally able to buy the Revell glues and paints here on the Island.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

DUEmii.jpg

C1EsIF.jpg

8te0uI.jpg

. 8JcJTk.jpg

bpagOi.jpg

lFaLZf.jpg

• Like 5

I am impressed by your perseverance and having just completed a PCM Hawker Typhoon I know how you feel, it's back to modelling basics, test fit sand, test fit sand keep repeating then fill, sand, repeat.

But the feeling of satisfaction at the end makes it all worthwhile.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

When I read your description Peter I couldn’t help myself thinking if anyone build a testshot of this kit. 
It‘s even worse than the Italeri Mirage!

But you did a great job dealing with all the problems along the way. 

Keep on with the excellent work!

• Like 2

Thanks Dennis, much appreciated

Right with you for sure but you accomplished this on a PCM, limited run kit and the KH P-39 should have not required all this extra work just to get parts to fit.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

Wow Peter!

I’ve just read through this thread and I seriously applaud you for your efforts so far. Your work on the cockpit is awesome and as everyone has already mentioned your build, if what you’ve already accomplished is any indication, the finished model will be brilliant!

It’s my turn now to say “keep ‘er comin’”

Cheers,

Wolf

• Like 2