The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

KH P-39 Airacobra

On 5/26/2021 at 6:39 PM, Peterpools said:

Guys,

Thanks so much for your well wishes, prayers and pulling for me .... Petscan and blood work was done on Tuesday and today the consultation with my wife Diane and myself: couldn't ask for better results and blood work. I'm so happy to report I'm in full remission and wearing a huge smile. :):D:)

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Outstanding Peter! Great news. :)

• Like 2

Here are the pics I messaged you about Peter. It's relevant to both the KH and SH kits. The first 3 are the SH kit while the last one is KH. I added about 3/16" to both. I don't know if you want to do this but here it is any way. :)

SH 1.jpg

SH 2.jpg

SH 3.jpg

KH nose.jpg

• Like 5

PLUGGING AWAY

I have to admit this isn’t the most fun build but I’m staying the course and going at a pace that holds both the frustration level and “Cuss Level” down to a minimum. When the P-39 reaches the ‘Oh No Level", I just put the kit to one side of the bench and take a few days break. Rather than do keep my distance from modeling, I decided to fill the modeling gaps with an enjoyable and fun project: Tamiya’s 1/72 P-47D Razorback. I work on it for a few days and then when the juices are flowing again, it’s back to the P-39.

Fuselage Halves

The front office side walls have been air brushed with Mig Interior Green and all the remaining PE I intended to use added as well.

Since I decided to close up the engine access panels, I wasn’t sure how I would install the gorgeous Eduard resin exhausts. What I finally decided to do next build session, glue the resin exhausts to the inside fuselage walls, remove the engine and move on. The small upper deck with its gear that sits above the engine has also been completed and ready to be installed.

Nose gear Assemblies

Working my way forward, it was time to start working on the nose gear and then prop/hub assemblies. The nose gear wheel well went together with no issues, painted interior green and the details highlighted with a Tamiya Black Pin Wash. An extra bonus of MIG paints is they dry with a nice slight egg shell skin nearly the same as Mr Color, so applying washes saves some time and steps.

The nose gear is over complicated, way too delicate (the retraction strut) and seems a fuss to install, which will be at the end of the build. Whoever designed the fret work had to be asleep at the switch. The main nose gear is a solid, one piece part which is a plus and then KH attaches the sprue gates smack dab on each side of the oleos, the worst possible place, just no thought here at all.

Martin, thanks for pointing out I left out the armor glass behind the pilot but none is included – just the solid armor plate. I made one out of clear acetate and it’s now ready to be installed.

Getting closer and closer to gluing the fuselage halves together and keep wondering much of John’s Cuss factor will be used?

Thanks for checking in

Peter

CvQrq2.jpg

The Allison is being re moved tonight and then I'm ready to close up the fuselage halves.

ogvgnC.jpg

DVZMWz.jpg

tUjJ2n.jpg

owkVZa.jpg

T7fJ2S.jpg

• Like 10

I feel your pain Peter, it is challenging assembly, my cobra has been shelved for over 4 years now. But once done, it will be stunner. P-39 is amazingly looking airframe and well worth the effort , especially in your hands. Keep it up Sir !

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

PLUGGING AWAY

I have to admit this isn’t the most fun build but I’m staying the course and going at a pace that holds both the frustration level and “Cuss Level” down to a minimum. When the P-39 reaches the ‘Oh No Level", I just put the kit to one side of the bench and take a few days break. Rather than do keep my distance from modeling, I decided to fill the modeling gaps with an enjoyable and fun project: Tamiya’s 1/72 P-47D Razorback. I work on it for a few days and then when the juices are flowing again, it’s back to the P-39.

Fuselage Halves

The front office side walls have been air brushed with Mig Interior Green and all the remaining PE I intended to use added as well.

Since I decided to close up the engine access panels, I wasn’t sure how I would install the gorgeous Eduard resin exhausts. What I finally decided to do next build session, glue the resin exhausts to the inside fuselage walls, remove the engine and move on. The small upper deck with its gear that sits above the engine has also been completed and ready to be installed.

Nose gear Assemblies

Working my way forward, it was time to start working on the nose gear and then prop/hub assemblies. The nose gear wheel well went together with no issues, painted interior green and the details highlighted with a Tamiya Black Pin Wash. An extra bonus of MIG paints is they dry with a nice slight egg shell skin nearly the same as Mr Color, so applying washes saves some time and steps.

The nose gear is over complicated, way too delicate (the retraction strut) and seems a fuss to install, which will be at the end of the build. Whoever designed the fret work had to be asleep at the switch. The main nose gear is a solid, one piece part which is a plus and then KH attaches the sprue gates smack dab on each side of the oleos, the worst possible place, just no thought here at all.

Martin, thanks for pointing out I left out the armor glass behind the pilot but none is included – just the solid armor plate. I made one out of clear acetate and it’s now ready to be installed.

Getting closer and closer to gluing the fuselage halves together and keep wondering much of John’s Cuss factor will be used?

Thanks for checking in

Peter

CvQrq2.jpg

The Allison is being re moved tonight and then I'm ready to close up the fuselage halves.

ogvgnC.jpg

DVZMWz.jpg

tUjJ2n.jpg

owkVZa.jpg

T7fJ2S.jpg

Have you test fitted the fuselage halves with all the innards in place? I found that to be a bear.

• Like 2

Peter thinking this is looking pretty damn good Sir keep hacking at it!!;)

and Martin that vid got me lost for 1/2hr on YT looking at others as well some of the CGI just blows your mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Kai

Just puts the pressure on more working on a collectors item.

All my weathering is nothing more then a light wash and then careful dry brushing. I'm going to try some filters and light bleaching on the exterior but nothing major.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

Thanks Hubert

I'm right with you. With all the access panels closed and leaving out the interior details/parts in those areas, the fit issues shouldn't be as bad and I'll be finding out for sure in the next few days. Just need to tackle the nose assembly/panels and then I should hopefully be able to close up the fuselage. I'm not a fan of leaving all the access panels open and off, which for me kills the look and feel of the model, not to mention all the fit issues they cause.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

Nice to see, how you adopt to the obstacles, taking one step after the other Peter. Way to go without a heart attack or heavy cursing at last. Poco a poco your laid back  approach is leading to a very fine result, muy bueno.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2