The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Latest Old Man Blog reveals preliminary prints of Fw-190 and Bf-109G ...

Artful69

18 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Me want now but seriously having met this gentleman I believe him when he says they are doing their utmost to deliver these gems as soon as possible…..can’t wait…….

Me either ... I'll honestly pull the trigger on anything by ZM in 1/32 ... but I'm REALLY hoping we get THE definitive Bf.109G ... their skills in model making have increased exponentially since the first couple of kits ... they're coming on par with Tamiya now ...

Rog :)

• Like 5

The unknown factor is how far along they are with development, and what we're being allowed to see...

Everything looks to be progressing well, but there's still some work ahead according to these photos. Note the hard edges adjacent to the canopy pulley wheel, whereby on the real thing it's already transitioned to a curve by that point.

IMG_20210521_194502.thumb.jpg.ee10c551351fbdff0b54b28713cd7fc9.jpg

At least they're giving us the BMW fighter motor, and not the bomber motor Revell replicated.

S

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bill_S said:

A lot of people complain about them being over engineered, but I love Z-M's approach.

Me to Bill, strange this exact subject elsewhere has generated page upon page of comment, I’m just happy they are bring more gems to the market……

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to both the FW190 and Me109, as it seems we have been waiting forever. I know I’m in the minority but I was hoping for the Basic kit version, keeping costs and engineering times down. Seems ZM original concept of both a SWS and a Basic version, the Basic version has been dropped. 
Of course I am planning on buying both kits.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 4:48 AM, Wumm said:

The unknown factor is how far along they are with development, and what we're being allowed to see...

Everything looks to be progressing well, but there's still some work ahead according to these photos. Note the hard edges adjacent to the canopy pulley wheel, whereby on the real thing it's already transitioned to a curve by that point.

IMG_20210521_194502.thumb.jpg.ee10c551351fbdff0b54b28713cd7fc9.jpg

At least they're giving us the BMW fighter motor, and not the bomber motor Revell replicated.

S

I think it mentions in the blog that the main reason for the extended delay on delivering the Fw-190's is getting some of the complex and subtle curves right in the design process ... I think what you're seeing are initial rough test moulds or 3D prints to see how the design software translates to physical form ... They still have quite a way to go, apparently. The Bf.109-G is a much newer addition to the production queue ... So to see it at the stage that it is - is quite surprising! ... Just a pity they are starting with the G14 first ... I would have loved to have seen the G6 ... but apparently that will be along in due course :)

I didn't know about BMW power egg on the Revell kit!!! ... Was that corrected by the Eduard Brassin kit - do you know??

On 6/3/2021 at 8:47 PM, Bill_S said:

A lot of people complain about them being over engineered, but I love Z-M's approach.

Absolutely!

On 6/4/2021 at 12:14 AM, Bomber_County said:

Me to Bill, strange this exact subject elsewhere has generated page upon page of comment, I’m just happy they are bring more gems to the market……

Me 3 !!! ... I don't care about whether the extra bits are locked away on completion ... it's FUN to assemble this stuff ... sure - earlier kits needed a little extra care when assembling, but the persistence by ZM of this assembly method has created their very own niche market ... and their latest offerings are Tamiya-like in quality. 

On 6/16/2021 at 7:42 PM, Peterpools said:

Looking forward to both the FW190 and Me109, as it seems we have been waiting forever. I know I’m in the minority but I was hoping for the Basic kit version, keeping costs and engineering times down. Seems ZM original concept of both a SWS and a Basic version, the Basic version has been dropped. 
Of course I am planning on buying both kits.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

I don't know if the Basic version has actually been dropped, Peter ... They are showing details of where they are up to in the production/design of the series ... no specifics are mentioned on the kit releases in this blog - so they may very well be sticking with the original plans ... or they may have received a bunch of negative feedback on their original "Basics" series intention ... Who knows ... either way I'm in!

Rog :)

• Like 3

On 6/4/2021 at 2:14 AM, Bomber_County said:

Human nature Phil...

Simplified kits are criticised, because people want a challenging Hobby. Then complex kits are released, and we bemoan the intricate internal inclusions that may never be seen, and yearn for simplified details. The poor bl**dy Model manufacturers can't win either way.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, Artful69 said:

I didn't know about BMW power egg on the Revell kit!!! ... Was that corrected by the Eduard Brassin kit - do you know?

The Eduard Brassin motor is very accurate in this regard. The resin cylinders impart much more details than ever possible in injection moulded plastic, and the baffles on the tops are the correct shape and handed as explained here:

Zoukei-Mura seem to have moulded the baffles as a separate part to be placed atop the cylinders. Even if this is an interim view here, it's already much more refined than the Revell parts.

IMG_20210620_121621.jpg.22b0e0361398f4afb42131293448d706.jpg

Note that on the Fighter motor, these baffles continue to the centre of the cylinder banks from either side, where there is a sealing tube that runs over the top and contacts a perpendicular brace that sits inside the cowling. Even with this tube in-situ, the height is much lower than the cylinder heads on either side.

IMG_20210620_105643.jpg.15713963d48c8ade04d35c5e54164d1d.jpg

The MA / ML Bomber motor (based on the BMW 801 A, B or C motor) ran at lower compression and revs than the dedicated Fighter C or D version, and had more clearance inside the cowling. It had a different cylinder cooling arrangement; with a raised hollow box above the cylinder tops that channeled air in one side only through a gap in the baffle, and then out to the rear. This baffle arrangement in the middle ring sat higher than the cylinder tops.

IMG_20210620_105728.jpg.777095204d1f1630c3cbb305742009b5.jpg

Revell gave us some hybrid creation, whereby there's kind of a square hole in the baffle, but it's joined by the square top boxes at the rear where the ring sits.

IMG_20210620_115711.thumb.jpg.018f0922b58c437f87106cd2aa128459.jpg

So not really representative of either version really, but to my eyes more Bomber than not. 

The parts breakdown of the fuselage side parts to me still seems to point to different variants being produced, probably the best way to get the most life from the moulds considering all the different fuselage hatch arrangements utilised over the life of the airframe.

S

• Like 4