Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Gottfreid Weiroster Bf 109G6 R6 Revell 1/32

11 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, man that sucks…….hate it when whatever you do or try doesn’t fix it, quite the opposite…….time to do something else for awhile………..

Thanks, Phil.  Fortunately I have plenty other choices.

9 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

That’s sad to hear Gary! Then it’s really better to put it aside! 

I have another G6 plus the Alley-Cat set in my stash. Do you want that Gary? If you‘re interested please PM.

Other possibility: use the inserts you refused to use?

Kai, that's a very kind offer.  Thank you.  But that would cost a lot more than it would cost me to buy a new kit here.  I still have a Hasegawa G6 I could attach to the pilot. 

Other possibility:  If you saw the fit, you'd be dissuaded.  The Starboard side has a terrible profile, and two of the four corners on the port side don;t match.

6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

What parts do you need?

Martin,

I haven't even started to separate the parts yet.  As I have attached everything quite firmly, it's hard to know what will happen.  I already broke a few parts and re-glued them together getting the bow out of the port wing.  Again, shipping would be expensive from overseas.  I'm not totally out of options locally.   I jut have to avoid rushing.

• Like 3

Just an update, friends.  My replacement kit is on the way for a bit less than retail...  including postage.  I'm no longer certain how much money I have spent on this one.  But money is just a means to an end.  And that end is building models.

So hopefully next week, I'll return to assembly.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

This is nice build, at the end it will be all worth the pain and expense .

Since you mentioned pain...

I rebuilt all of the legs of the WfGr.  21 rocket launchers.  It's all I accomplished today...   because I spent a lot of time watching NFL pre-season football games.  At least I know now that the tubes won't fall from the legs.

I drilled deep holes into the raketen and sunk in fine copper wire.  Then I added .7mm brass tube around the copper wire.  It looks virtually the same and is no straighter or perfectly aligned then it was before.  But at least it's done.

Happy modelling!

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great surgery Gary! Do you also have some pictures? 
How will you glue this onto the wing? Similar construction? 

HI Kai,

No pictures.  It doesn't look any different from previous photos.  The only difference was using copper wire instead of brass rod, and the depth that the wire was sunk into the rockets.  I'm just about out of .5mm brass rod so I needed a substitute.  The brass rod was a little straighter and stiffer, but the .7mm brass tube around the copper wire hides the copper wire, anyway.  We'll see how it looks under the new wings once they're assembled.  I've saved the old wings to use as templates for the new.

I learned a few things with the old wings.  For instance, the hooks I added that hold the rocket via the fifth rod got broken off easily while I was working with the wings.  And the flaps...  are actually too narrow....  unless that's something else I messed up.  When flaps, ailerons, and cooling flaps are at the zero position, there are gaps on each side of the flaps between aileron and cooling flaps.  This is less noticeable when flaps are down and cooling flaps open.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Ok that’s clear now Gary!

What a mess is this kit when even the flaps and ailerons are wrong?

I can’t believe how many mistakes Revell made. That’s Italeri-like…;)😁

I think they did that because control surface is moveable...   like a toy.  But I am not totally discounting that maybe I did something wrong.  I'll know better this time around....   hopefully.

• Like 4

Gaz

Nice work on replacing the brass rocket launcher wires with copper wire sounds like the trick as your so very satisfied with the results.

I watched the NY Jet - NY Giant preseason game last night and even though the Giants lost (my Team for a lifetime), just great to have football back. September 9th is the 'kickoff' of the season and I know my building time will be cut as I'll be in front of the TV for all the games I can inhale each week.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

And we are back. 

Rocket launchers, prop, wheels, and LG legs all fitted with wings drying...  Not sure if I'm happy with the LG angles...  I may have to consult a more knowledgeable source.  They don't have that relaxed look that I thing the Gustav is known for. 

P1014090.thumb.JPG.d44e8d3928606e76a46e2a0fc14ac7ed.JPG

P1014091.thumb.JPG.5c4b3d2dcfbb614f6087b9b1e5b705a0.JPG

P1014092.thumb.JPG.4d983402f690bc49de9cb01fc8076888.JPG

I used blutack to hold the WfGr in place.

Happy modelling!

• Like 6

Can't tell about the right angles Gaz, but on pic #2 it looks as the starboard wheel points a little outwards, but that's maybe only my vision. To mee it looks like G in general and I really like the work you spent with the rocket tubes.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Can't tell about the right angles Gaz, but on pic #2 it looks as the starboard wheel points a little outwards, but that's maybe only my vision. To mee it looks like G in general and I really like the work you spent with the rocket tubes.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob.  Yeah, the LG leg might have moved while I was repositioning the model.  It;s a square brass peg in a square plastic hole...   so who knows.  Lots to do before I add the lg.

• Like 3

Gaz

Glad to see you decided to push ahead as you poured in an abundance of hard work and determination and nice to see the 109 up on her gear. Agree with  Rob, about the gear in the second photo - hope it's an easy fix as the 109 just won't give in for sure.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

The latest thing to piss me off.  Below is the G4 at Speyer.  Please notice the smooth transition from wing to fuselage to wing.

Bf-109G-4_0011.thumb.jpg.4c853ab6c57e221b47e2656ad24780f6.jpg

Here is my kit.  I kept the light one-sided so that shadow could aid in what you see.

CfIJQl.jpg

nXU3Q2.jpg

rml7lU.jpg

This has really sapped my fervor.  But I will try to carry on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I can't understand, how companies can interpret shapes completely wrong, when there is an original plane at hand (given the G4 and G6 are equally shaped in this area). 
In the end Gaz, it's a bit like my canopy with distortions. You put a lot of research, effort, work and money into the kit. Finish it, and you'd be surprised, nobody will note the issue (except us :D). Luckily it's the bottom side.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

Copy the others Gary: Another mistake I don’t understand why Revell made it.

But I think it’s in a position where it is mostly hidden when she’s standing on her legs. So you may sand it s little more to shape or just do nothing.

No one looking at the finished model will realize this (except us now ;)) in my eyes. 

• Like 4