The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Gottfreid Weiroster Bf 109G6 R6 Revell 1/32

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Wow Gary! Dein Stuhl sieht klasse aus!

It looks so realistic! You should open up a production line for them. I need one too. Can I give you my address? 

Thank you very much, Kai!  I'm afraid the production line staff would go into rebellion...   it's really no fun to build!  And so fragile.  I feel like I am trying to handle a spiderweb every time I touch it.  I really should have done a fourth one as this one is far from ideal.  But if you really need one, and aren't just joking, I'll see what I can do.  I don't think it would survive the trip fully assembled...  So I might be able to ship some assemblies as flat pack.

The cloth seat isn't the way it should seem like in the pictures Martin posted.  This is for three reasons:  1:  I didn't want to try to attach a wet, floppy construct of toilet tissue and PVA glue.  2:  Attaching a large decal to a curvy thing like the cloth seat would be a nightmare.  3:  I have still to place the U.S. Air Corps flotation cushion on the seat.  I need a hard angle to set it in.  Hopefully I can show this tomorrow.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

That chair looks comfy, great work Gaz, if somebody reduces my size by the factor of 32, I will order one for myself :D.

Cheers Rob

5 hours ago, harv said:

Wowzers,  that turned out great !.......harv :thumbsup2:

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

I tip my hat; fantastic work and right with Kai and Hubert

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Fellas!

• Like 2

Except for the clear coat, I'm going to consider the chair done.  There are a few shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didn't things here...  Rebuilding the chair and making it perfectly square...  making the float seat cushion thicker and putting more effort into giving it textures and  but I'm losing patience with the whole project.  So I'll post this picture and move on.

IMG_0049.JPG.f122366c4af1bbe4564c70379ab4d554.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Sorry for the crappy photos...   seems there was too much glare.  Anyway...   I figured taking enough shots from enough angles would illustrate the cheerful cloth seat for the deck chair.

Happy modelling!

Photos are fine...

And it's a great little vignette to place beside the kit. There's a whole different process for painting your figures to actually suit the type of lighting you intend to display them under. Some of the pros just seem to churn their figures out perfect every time, it's a knack you will get if you do enough of them.

On an unrelated note... Has anyone seen the tea-towl?

S

• Like 3

Oil Staining....  Step #1.

I have always been a miserable failure at oil staining.  I understand the physics of it.  Oil runs...  prop stream makes it run back along the aircraft....  Dirt sticks to oil.  Process is repeated until the plane is no more.  But...despite knowing this, I could never get it to look right.

So, one day I asked somebody at the "weathered models" FB group page.  He explained to me that painting oil stains is the art of tricking the eye into believing they are seeing oil stains.  So what was needed was an an opaque oil mess in the form of paint...   which you painted over with thin layers of regular color to make it look like the oil stain is embedded in the paint.

So, that is what I will do now.  This is the original application of "oil"

IMG_0050.JPG.6a267fb47d2061ffe1e47b172c93125c.JPGIMG_0052.thumb.JPG.2c0aa4ff192a3dee9b6ff561a13b0cbc.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, harv said:

Brilliant  !!.....harv

46 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Photos are fine...

And it's a great little vignette to place beside the kit. There's a whole different process for painting your figures to actually suit the type of lighting you intend to display them under. Some of the pros just seem to churn their figures out perfect every time, it's a knack you will get if you do enough of them.

On an unrelated note... Has anyone seen the tea-towl?

S

Thank  you, fellas!

Here is the tea towel...   he's sitting on it.241690286_2138358009644753_7229074288265929107_n.jpg.57a9e2ac520904a0f952e2f35bb84503.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So....   here we are advanced into layer/Step # 2 of the oil streaks.  This layer has grime that hasn't been embedded, yet.

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.e31c274b3f7aee71fc861e90eb027909.JPG

IMG_0054.thumb.JPG.a8a05144d2b07220c9bc98fae5c57e5a.JPG

No grime on the fuel tank.  I'm guessing that since they don;t seem that dirty in pics....besides the big runs and streaks of oil, that the prop wash and dust get flung onto the lower side of the fuselage.  

I'm really not sure how far I should go, really.

• Like 5

To be honest Gary: For my gusto this is a little bit too much. Especially on the fuselage underside. Or do you have a foto of an original plane looking like this?

Same with DocRob: the dirt thrown on the wings by the wheels should be in another position and not that broad. 

But that’s only my view! 

What do you think? 

• Like 2

Gaz

Looking at the underside, it almost appears that the 109 blew an engine and thusly the amount of oil. For me, it's the color of the oil streaking seems off - a bit too greenish. What I think needs some playing with, is the color of the oil/grime from the wheel wells shouldn't be the same as coming from the engine. Two different grimes.

The lounge chair and figure -OMG just fantastic.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

Very nice Gaz, but why is there so much grime coming from the wheel sections of the wheel wells?

Cheers Rob

That was an experiment...   sadly...  most of this stuff is an experiment as I am trying to learn how to weather an underside without it looking fake.

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

To be honest Gary: For my gusto this is a little bit too much. Especially on the fuselage underside. Or do you have a foto of an original plane looking like this?

Same with DocRob: the dirt thrown on the wings by the wheels should be in another position and not that broad. 

But that’s only my view! 

What do you think? 

41 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Looking at the underside, it almost appears that the 109 blew an engine and thusly the amount of oil. For me, it's the color of the oil streaking seems off - a bit too greenish. What I think needs some playing with, is the color of the oil/grime from the wheel wells shouldn't be the same as coming from the engine. Two different grimes.

The lounge chair and figure -OMG just fantastic.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Guys,

Pictures of the undersides of Luftwaffe aircraft are very rare.  But I have done my best to collect them over time.   As it may look like a 'blown-engine', the truth is that Daimler Benz and Jumo engines were prodigious leakers of oil.  And they weren't the only ones.  One of the things that impressed Japanese pilots and mechanics when they got to look at American aircraft postwar was how little oil they leaked.

Now...   Weiroster and presumably his plane came from a unit dedicated to chasing Mosquitos before being amalgamated with JG 1.  To me, that means a bit of flying time and time to leak. 

I'm not totally happy with my attempts to make it look dirty.  I'm failing at execution.  But if you look at this small collection of photos, you'll see I'm not pulling it out of my hat.

underside1.jpg.bff6a17d2006df00ab2594f85c411b00.jpg

Newish plane here...   Codes were usually painted out or washed off at unit level.   But you can see the streaking has already begun.

underside2.jpg.2b243e28097fefd585386ea81053a994.jpg

underside3.thumb.jpg.ff959aa6cb2e2779676b8da78b296a16.jpg

You can see how much has dripped down the back of the tank.

underside4.jpg.8a41524ec4068dec4842229dab6ba183.jpg

The Brits had this one for a lot of time.  This is probably an extreme example.

underside5.jpg.cdc93e17d730d73faf97dbf0d51e44c3.jpg

Pilot's monument...   As the Luftwaffe men called it.

Some bonus Stuka shots...

underside6.jpg.80e73abf9641c3828eb28740072dfbad.jpg

Really...   a great photo.

underside7.jpg.8bbb39e30f2400e9084efd7364f6be84.jpg

underside8.thumb.jpg.3eb802d3b7e61ae9bbfdea3b1773c501.jpg

Now...   every time I see a Ju-87 with a clean belly...   I have to restrain myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back, friends!

I have to admit that this build defeated my mojo for a while.  The time involved, the things that were wrong with the kit, and other things that went wrong along the way contributed to a period of very little modelling.  But, I didn;t throw the kit away, though very tempted.  I didn't put it in a back room where it could be forgotten.  I put it where I could see it from my TV-watching chair with just a slight turning of the head.  I'd have to walk past it to get to the rest of the house, too.   Meanwhile I continued with another build and even started a third.  But eventually I got up the nerve to do things that needed doing. 

I had to strip a layer of a filter that I added.  I won't go into details, but it involved a bit of wet sanding.  I also wasn't happy with the chair.  A little extra motivation was provided by a friend interested in furniture.  I had also built a mental barrier to weathering the parachute...  It just seemed like a lot to do for such a tiny addition to the model.

I've decided to limit my weathering to what can be seen from the tops and sides of the build.  Messing with the undersides will just add more effort to things that will remain unseen.  The aircraft recieved a pinwash and probably won't get much more as I put a lot of effort into stressing and modulating the paint scheme.  Probably just some exhaust staining is yet to be done.P1014167.thumb.JPG.88099145c2f314952cac9515b74c55aa.JPG

P1014169.thumb.JPG.854d9c328e27660266b921c971d0c262.JPG

P1014171.thumb.JPG.0b569b370fbf9b942f91a47d6fb97acd.JPG

P1014173.thumb.JPG.c9a2b8f9adecc8eac005fa4c4e6fae56.JPG

P1014178.thumb.JPG.a4f39bda655febcba77f3c5eadb1be61.JPG

P1014179.thumb.JPG.032a7a648570774cd659656e95bc873e.JPG

P1014180.thumb.JPG.ce3a091abbc4645fe6a87d59f94d2831.JPG

P1014181.thumb.JPG.3695b633db3df02cfec8230a19fc01ca.JPG

P1014182.thumb.JPG.186068e76d2186d91552dbaf74d5a59e.JPG

Thanks for looking!  Happy modelling!!

Anyway...   here are some pre-captioned photos.   Heh...    and some with no caption at all. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1