The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Hasegawa FW190A8, KG200, Mistel 2

• 4 months later...

With my G6 99.9% finished I cracked open one of my FW190A8's and got to work.

Fw190A8_BoxArt.jpg

My kit will be Hasegawa's FW190A8.  Perhaps one of the nicest box art renderings to date.  I just love the artwork showing lead pilot focusing on what appears to be navigation while the other two pilots hold the formation.  Not a Schwarm only 3 aircraft shown, am I correct?

FW190_Red11.jpg

This build will be Fw Rudi Riedl's mount.  KG200 Tirstrup, Denmark.  Mistel 2.

Fw190A8_Pit01.jpg

Prepping pit for Eduard photoetch.  Untouched pit sits next to pit under revision for a nice comparison.  Seat back rails is styrene "I" beam, left/right and center console cut out to accept PE replacement.

Fw190A8_Pit02.jpg

PE test fitted before glue and round one of paint.  Will have to paint before seat and belts installed.  Will use blown canopy from a D9 on this.

• Like 3

Got some bench time in yesterday.  Snow day today, kids home so zero bench time today.  Pardon the dust.

Fw190A8_Pit03.jpg

Tub primed with Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black.  Bulkhead panels and side panels added.  More fun with PE.  Shown is starboard fuselage with PE parts added.  Orginal kit dash cut away, PE dash replacement shown along with IP, pedals and canopy actuator. 

About 4 PE parts for port side of fuselage and the dashboard surgery then I will hit with primer and RLM66.  Then begin the IP and belts.

IMG_6406.jpg

Close up show detail of map case.  I added some styrene rods on transmission floor and lead wire for pedal links.

Fw190A8_Pit05.jpg

Pedals and canopy actuator wheel assembly.  Will do initial painting in the tub.  Mount these and continue paint.

• Like 4

That's some nice P/E there Rick...

A very different alternative to a resin replacement cockpit.

My kit will be Hasegawa's FW190A8.  Perhaps one of the nicest box art renderings to date.  I just love the artwork showing lead pilot focusing on what appears to be navigation while the other two pilots hold the formation.  Not a Schwarm only 3 aircraft shown, am I correct?

And yes, not a Schwarm, the 4 aircraft tactic pioneered by Werner Mölders... But a Kette (which is also the german word for chain.) As in, 3 aircraft linked in formation, a tactic which goes back to the Great War.

S

• Like 1

Man, these PEs are great! The front office looks like the real one! :unworthy:

Paulo,

Thank you for the kind words.

That's some nice P/E there Rick...

A very different alternative to a resin replacement cockpit.

And yes, not a Schwarm, the 4 aircraft tactic pioneered by Werner Mölders... But a Kette (which is also the german word for chain.) As in, 3 aircraft linked in formation, a tactic which goes back to the Great War.

S

thanks WUMM.

Very nice. The PE is definitely good looking!

thank you Jonathan.

Wow, Rick! Very neat and clean use of that PE! Respect!

Ah Erik, this is my 3rd attempt with a PE interior.  The flaps are on deck an this may be my Albatross.  I have this Batman vs Joker relationship with PE.  I love the engineering and the detail it brings out.  I hate some of the folds on insect size pieces. 

Learning through trial and error the best ways to secure PE (CA, Future, Gator Glue) has been incredible value.

However, the more I work with PE and scratch work it truly becomes therapeutic in a solution solving, accomplishment kind of way.

• 2 weeks later...

Rick,

Did the Aims conversion come with the decals for the Mistel?  I'm liking it so far, but all that PE looks scary...

Decals did come with the Mistel 2 conversion.   You get decals for the Ju88 Mistel 2 and Fw190.  You also get decals for a Ju88 G1.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Been really slow on the bench these past few weeks.  My knee is not cooperating with long seated sessions.  Flexibility is improving.

Ok, to work at hand.  Ignition wires required some drilling with a .35mm bit on the engine cylinder heads and harness.  Wire is from a telephone cord.

IMG_7175.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

IMG_7236.jpg

• Like 3

Instrument panel will be slightly modified at accept gauges and throttle for the Ju88.

First step is to add a center panel for Ju88 RPM and Oil Pressure gauges.  Based on photographs I'm will make it close.  Enter FICE clause here.

Using a .05mm styrene sheet, Air Scale Bezels and MDC decals I measured the panel then added appropriate gauges to panel.

IMG_7165.jpg

IMG_7172.jpg

Adding the bezels was a test of will.  Used Future to adhere then touched again with CA.  Not sure if I like the alignment, will make judgement after a coat of paint.

• Like 2

Looks really good Rick. Hope your knee feels better.

Question:

What do you use to glue your wire work to the engine and brass work to the cockpit?

You mentioned washing your parts. Is there a reason for that?

Looks really good Rick. Hope your knee feels better.

Question:

What do you use to glue your wire work to the engine and brass work to the cockpit?

You mentioned washing your parts. Is there a reason for that?

for ignition wires I use med cure CA.  pour some CA in a small cup, the little condiment containers and the lids from MacDonalds that always accidentally fall in my pocket by the dozen works great.  dip end of wire in CA the place in drilled hole.  did wire harness first then install wire harness and bend wire into cylinder heads.  be sure wire is measured.

on the IP gauges I will usually use Future to set the piece then I might return with a very small drop of thin CA.  when using Future and CA I always rely on capillary action to spread.  Sometimes Gator Glue works for large areas.

washing parts to remove any oils from manufacturing.  this is especially true with resin parts.

• Like 1

for ignition wires I use med cure CA.  pour some CA in a small cup, the little condiment containers and the lids from MacDonalds that always accidentally fall in my pocket by the dozen works great.  dip end of wire in CA the place in drilled hole.  did wire harness first then install wire harness and bend wire into cylinder heads.  be sure wire is measured.

on the IP gauges I will usually use Future to set the piece then I might return with a very small drop of thin CA.  when using Future and CA I always rely on capillary action to spread.  Sometimes Gator Glue works for large areas.

washing parts to remove any oils from manufacturing.  this is especially true with resin parts.

I know I'll be embarrassed but what is CA?