The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fw 190D-13, Stab/JG 26, "Yellow 10" (1/32 Hasegawa)

• Members

After much deliberation I've decided on "Yellow 10", I love a challenging paint scheme and this one certainly fits the bill!

Artwork-Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D13-JG26-Y10---

I'll be using the Hasegawa D-9 (obviously) along with the J. Rutman (now Grey Matter) D-13 conversion set.  I'll also be throwing some QB exhausts, EagleParts wooden flaps and HGW seat belts in as well.  Really looking forward to getting this baby off the ground!

farside1_zps0d2cd810.jpg

• Like 5

Far Side right?

Used to love those cartoons!

So how does the conversion look?

I wondered about getting one a while back but am not convinced that stuff is up to today's standards, so I'd be interested to see what you think?

Doesn't yellow 10 have an interesting history?

Was there controversy over what variant it was a while back or something?

Cool looking scheme either way, which I am Der Mottelmeister will do justice to!

• Members

Nick, the conversion looks pretty good, it looks like Jerry R. used the Hasegawa fuselage as his base and just made the mods necessary for the D-13.

IIRC the controversy stems from the fact that the wing from the D-13 was mated up to another D-9 at some point.  That happened to be the aircraft that Tamiya used as their reference when they produced their 1/48 D-9, which is why the shell ejector port setup was incorrect.  After Doug Champlin had it go through a complete restoration it was mated up with it's original wing again.

Jerry Crandall's Vol. 2 on the Dora has an extensive chapter devoted to this baby so I have really good reference material.  I buddy of mine back in Cali, John Quint who is a huge 190 fan and fantastic modeler (his 1/48 D-9 is on display in the lobby of Tamiya's main office over here) knows a gentlemen who allegedly has a photo of the other D-13 that was assigned to JG 26's Stabschwarm.  He's incredibly secretive apparently, but has a large collection of rare photos so John thinks his claim is credible.  Unfortunately he's one of these quirky guys that thinks these types of things should be hoarded rather than shared.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice choice...

It's interesting that while it was originally thought that this was a one off scheme, I've got a YouTube video (quite well know) that shows railway waggons loaded up with D-11/13 'power eggs' all with this camo... So factory applied, poss by Junkers...

9647005256_261cae959f.jpg

There's a photo of another D-13 somewhere in a book I've got - can't for the life of me remember which... maybe a volume of Luftwaffe Im Focus...?

Look forward to progress..

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Finally have a litte progress to show. 

The engine plug:  I really didn't pay a lot of attention to painting things a particular color, just looking for some contrast and visual interest.  Added some wires to jazz it up a bit.

016_zps3c494480.jpg

013_zpsca72780e.jpg

Cockpit is pretty much OOB, I added Finemolds ABS seatbelts, a throttle lever and a panel that runs from the bottom of the IP to the cockpit deck.  The decals are AirScale, Mike Grant and kit.  Hasegawa molds on the instrument detail which detracts from the look when you use decals, will have to do something different next time around because I'm not happy with the way they came out.

009_zpsd02db1f3.jpg

008_zps7bf30ee2.jpg

005_zps527ae747.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

How are those fine molds belts Mike? In the other photos I have seen the look chunky

I like them, Dave.  Obviously they're a little thicker than HGW but they are just much less time consuming and I think they look pretty good once they're painted and weathered.

• Members

Nice work Mike. I can agree with you on the IP decals over raised detail - I wasn't happy with my results doing the same on the A-8.

Very nice pit!

What I like is the PE panel with the instruments printed on the clear acetate that you sandwich between the parts.  The pre-painted stuff is OK but the color never matches the rest of the cockpit and and the texture is a little pebbly.  I've thought about stripping the color off the upper layer and re-painting it match the cockpit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A quick update, after getting the fuselage halves together and the upper cowl on I was not happpy with the way things went together.  I've got some serious work to do to get the project up to snuff so I elected to order the Renaissance conversion set that Arnie is using for his D-11.  The quality looks better and I think it will go together much easier.  The current project will be taking a vacation on the "shelf of doom" and will be probably be resurrected as a D-11 at some point.  I'm going to start from scratch on the D-13 project and will probably be starting an A-5 while I wait for my new resin to arrive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's where I stand on "Yellow 10".  The new cowl from the Renaissance conversion set has been grafted on, fit was pretty good.  Had to do some sanding and smoothing because some of the surfaces were a bit rough, by that I mean kind of "unfinished".  As soon as the putty is dry I will smooth and replace the panel line with a raised panel line decal from Archer Transfers.  I haven't had much luck scribing, I keep putting gouges in the putty.

005_zps62993952.jpg

004_zps80f14395.jpg

I also decided to re-do the engine plug:

007_zps20ef66f6.jpg

Riveting has been completed on the wings and fuselage so once I finish the cowl section up I should be in good shape.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've finally wrestled the cowl section into submission.  As with the D-9, I've used raised panel line decals for the piano hinge and for where the power egg butts to the fuselage.  The latches on the aft section of the cowl were a little clunky too so I shaved them off and replaced them with some made from lead foil.

Still need to put the little air intake on the top, but I'm glad I'm finally over this hurdle!

001_zps794c43ad.jpg

002_zps24d6b135.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

After putting down the Mr. Surfacer primer I discovered that I still had some work to do.  The quality of the conversion set is very inconsistent.  I get the feeling that whoever did the masters got to a certain point and just gave up.  Rough surfaces, inconsistent panel lines, you name it.  Looking back in retrospect I should have primed and worked the the power egg section before attachment to the fuselage.  I'm giving up on trying to repair this last panel line, I've filled it in and once smooth will use an Archer raised panel line decal again and that should (hopefully) wrap up this part of the project.  I also decided to use the supercharger intake from the J. Rutman set since the shape and sized appeared to be a little better to my eye.

006_zps30738617.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it's being a Bear for you Mike,

But you're making good progress anyway. As for the quality of the resin parts, I can tell you from experience that this is similar to some of the 1/24th scale Auto parts I have from Renaissance. Etienne is a one-man-show and I believe he does everything himself; resin masters, decals, some photo etch as well. As I recall stating in another thread, it's not at the cutting edge of conversion kit technology, but I the parts I've had experience with are good enough to pass muster, even if they would benefit from a little more clean-up than usually expected from other suppliers to the hobby.

Steve.

• Like 1

• Members

In fairness to Etienne, the fit of the cowl halves and the upper cowl assembly was good and there is some nice detail.  As a (supposedly) experienced modeler I should know to take it slow and address things on the front end where they're easier to deal with but I have a tendency to let my enthusiasm get the best of me and jump right in.

In fairness to Etienne, the fit of the cowl halves and the upper cowl assembly was good and there is some nice detail.  As a (supposedly) experienced modeler I should know to take it slow and address things on the front end where they're easier to deal with but I have a tendency to let my enthusiasm get the best of me and jump right in.

That's what my divorce attorney told me. (Loonnnnngggg time ago)

• Like 2