The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Ford GT II - The Fast and the Novice - Tamiya 1/24

4 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Great work! This thread is turning out to be a terrific tutorial on auto model finishing!

Thank you Paul, that was exactly why I started it ;), being a rook and needing a lot of input on the subject of painting cars the right way. I knew, I could count on you Hombres :grouphug:.

3 hours ago, HubertB said:

Nice work, but, IMHO, the blue outside with the black and orange trim inside reflect the taste of a rap star or of a gulf emirate heir ...

C'mon Hubert, now there is a civilian scheme and you are ripping me apart :D. Besides, the body is not gold plated or covered in Swarovsky crystal, are we getting old Señhor?
To excuse myself, the blue has a violet ting on the pic which is not there in reality. I tried to picture it as good as possible with my phone, using light temperature and white balance adjustments, but to no avail.
The orange applications are understatedly called 'Launch Control' in the Ford GT configurator, Fisher Price orange wouldn't have had the same sound to it :rofl:.
As I've said before, the Ford is only a mule for learning how to paint cars with you all, in reality, I don't like modern sports cars at all. It's all preparing myself for a future Hippie Citroen DS build, some classic Formula One cars and the huge 1/12 Porsche 935.

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Terrific progress on the GT .. Love the colors as a lot of mega dollar super cars, have outrageous color schemes. I have Tamiya 1/24 Enzo Ferrari kit and the interior colors are close in style.  Would like to build it this fall.

Thank you Peter, these Tamiya car kits are pure fun to build and are a great change in approach from planes and armor. After a lot of Lozenge clad planes lately, I needed a break, and then maybe back to the PZL  P.11.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Absolutely correct and right with you. After seeing marks Lotus and his painting techniques, follow Mark's as his Lotus's finish is spectacular and I'm sure I might have gotten some of the polishing grits a bit wrong.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

To excuse myself, the blue has a violet ting on the pic which is not there in reality. I tried to picture it as good as possible with my phone, using light temperature and white balance adjustments, but to no avail.
The orange applications are understatedly called 'Launch Control' in the Ford GT configurator, Fisher Price orange wouldn't have had the same sound to it :rofl:.

Ahh, if it has got a violet tinge in it, my most humble excuses then :unworthy: !

Very classy paint design, then, totally fit for a pro footballer (the soccer variety for our US friends) :rofl:

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Absolutely correct and right with you. After seeing marks Lotus and his painting techniques, follow Mark's as his Lotus's finish is spectacular and I'm sure I might have gotten some of the polishing grits a bit wrong.

I've seen that too, and Marks Lotus sport the blackest black of all blacks, I hope I can achieve something similar, when I build mine.

44 minutes ago, mark31 said:

planning on the tamiya 935?

It's not a plan in the moment, there will be at least one or two other car builds before, but I'm a Martini guy :wine:, so it will be hard to wait for too long.

11 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Ahh, if it has got a violet tinge in it, my most humble excuses then :unworthy: !

Very classy paint design, then, totally fit for a pro footballer (the soccer variety for our US friends) :rofl:

There is a lot about distinguished understatement to that design :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Today, I polished the mica blue body with the three differently coarse Tamiya polishing compounds, and really like the result, which looks better and shinier in reality than on the pics.

The color is hard to capture on photos, the first pic was taken in the light tent, the second outside in light sunshine and the third with decals applied on the bench (hey it's a WIP at least :D).

The third is closest to what my eyeball captures.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8916.thumb.JPG.e69b84b4aa9dae98f59be944eb78c6a5.JPG

IMG_8919.thumb.JPG.e136d2e219eefb31cda5ff836555832d.JPG

IMG_8925.thumb.JPG.41245f23c4b12bcc3c07ff06356df70a.JPG

• Like 5

On 6/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, DocRob said:

Thanks Gaz, I figured, I couldn't respray it in the same tone and shine like the rest of the dashboard and decided to do it noticeable different. My semi matte black has not arrived yet, so the interior blacks were mixed.
It's a real pain to get lacquer colors to my island. Most of the suppliers don't ship at all and few only bottles up to 30ml and one liter in all, like the IATA regulations say.
I can't get a decent bottle of thinner here, I have to buy micro jars and you need lots of these for lacquer paints and the shops, which deliver don't have everything in stock, which is needed.
I feel more and more, that the supply problems with toxic liquids like paints, cement, not even to mention spraycans, may put an end to my hobby, short term :censored:.

Cheers Rob

That doesn’t sound good Rob! 
Which island do you live on if I may ask? 

Maybe it‘s an idea that I buy the things here for you and send it with a private parcel?

Don‘t know if it will work but do you think it’s possible? 

Cheers

Kai

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

That doesn’t sound good Rob! 
Which island do you live on if I may ask? 

Maybe it‘s an idea that I buy the things here for you and send it with a private parcel?

Don‘t know if it will work but do you think it’s possible? 

I live on El Hierro and all parcel private or from shops will be revised at the customs in Tenerife or Gran Canaria, because we have different taxes here from the Spanish mainland. That means, if they identify goods there, they will not be send here, because all the parcel is transported by plane to El Hierro. There is a ferry too, but you can't choose this as a shipping option.
For the future with more and more strict regulations, I see the only possibility to get these goods transported to Tenerife by ship with a transport company and pick it up from them and deliver it by ferry/car to my island. We are speaking of one or two month delivery time here, not to mention time and cost. To travel to the transport company, I have to stay overnight in Tenerife, as there are not many ferries.
There are no LHS's on Tenerife, I know of, to shorten the process. In the moment, I have Spanish companies as a supplier of thinner and lacquer paints, but as I said, this is limited to 30ml jars max and it always cost extra at the customs. I have to admit, I'm a bit worried by the situation and I'm used to having trouble to get goods transported to El Hierro. 
Will I leave my island because of that, NOOOOOO, NEVER :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rob,

The Color, shine, and stripes look awesome!   I too like to use buffing compounds to polish paint.  The stuff I use is from a car shop, though.

I'm sad for your shipping troubles.  Is there a car parts store there?  Sometimes you can find stuff in auto supplies that can be used nicely for modelling.  Paints, solvents, and primers come to mind.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mark31 said:

nice work,good paint job

lov it with the strips on

13 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Holy Cow ... the GT looks fantastic with the racing stripes and the color looks perfect.

Thank you Gentlemen, I always liked the White Stripes - err - bad pun, the band I mean :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

I live on El Hierro and all parcel private or from shops will be revised at the customs in Tenerife or Gran Canaria, because we have different taxes here from the Spanish mainland. That means, if they identify goods there, they will not be send here, because all the parcel is transported by plane to El Hierro. There is a ferry too, but you can't choose this as a shipping option.
For the future with more and more strict regulations, I see the only possibility to get these goods transported to Tenerife by ship with a transport company and pick it up from them and deliver it by ferry/car to my island. We are speaking of one or two month delivery time here, not to mention time and cost. To travel to the transport company, I have to stay overnight in Tenerife, as there are not many ferries.
There are no LHS's on Tenerife, I know of, to shorten the process. In the moment, I have Spanish companies as a supplier of thinner and lacquer paints, but as I said, this is limited to 30ml jars max and it always cost extra at the customs. I have to admit, I'm a bit worried by the situation and I'm used to having trouble to get goods transported to El Hierro. 
Will I leave my island because of that, NOOOOOO, NEVER :D.

Cheers Rob

Thanks for the explanations Rob!

If I were you I also wouldn’t leave the island !

So I see no possibility to help you from my side, sorry! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

The Color, shine, and stripes look awesome!   I too like to use buffing compounds to polish paint.  The stuff I use is from a car shop, though.

I'm sad for your shipping troubles.  Is there a car parts store there?  Sometimes you can find stuff in auto supplies that can be used nicely for modelling.  Paints, solvents, and primers come to mind.

Thanks Gaz, I used the polishing compounds for the first time on paint, but it works great and the three different grainings are noticeable while working.
There is no real car parts store here, but a friend has a car workshop and repaints cars and I will ask him, if there is a possibility to get the needed stuff through him.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Wow Doc,

The body looks spectacular with the white stripes!

Muchas Gracias Wolf, I managed to break one stripe, while dabbing it on. I tried my best, to hide the breaking line and I'm not about to tell, where the fault is ;).

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Thanks for the explanations Rob!

If I were you I also wouldn’t leave the island !

So I see no possibility to help you from my side, sorry! 

Thanks for offering your help Kai. It sometimes is very complicated and time consuming to get goods here to my island in general, but all these toxic brews, needed for modelling, seem to be harder to get, every time I try.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Looking simply spectacular .. flawless to my eye

Thank you Peter, let's hope the best for the gloss coat, a step, I have some fear about.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Excellent work, Rob!  Perhaps too flawless.  Might pay dividends to put some spilled Cheetohs and a few cigarette butts and ashes to make it look lived-in.:rofl:

Thanks Gaz, but some baking powder on the dash, resembling some lines of coke are far more possible with the likely suspects, who own such a car :lol:.

I have two flaws built in, like always, connected to decals my worst enemies :censored:.

Cheers Rob

• Haha 4