The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Saws

harv

That depends Harv. There are lots of factors going in the decision for using the right tool. How big is the section to cut, is it flat or curved, which material and thickness has the material, do i need the separated part. These are only some questions to answer first.
I use different tools, ranging from sharp scalpels over fine saws, sometimes drill bits and grinding tools or Dremel blade saws. I often use Dynotape for marking the cuts and protect the remaining plastic.
My goto if possible tool is a razor saw, which cuts so fine, that you can use the cut part, for e.g. a cowling.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, harv said:

What do you all use/ recommend to cut out pannels.....harv

New scalpel blade and carefully run around the panel as many times as required to scribe through it…….that’s how I do it!!!…….working in the design industry, I’ve never had to buy a set of scalpel blades so I tend to change them regularly……my go to blades are always Swann & Morton ………….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depends if you want to save the panel or just make a hole with the panel itself not being used. If the panel is not being used I drill a series of holes (small) then use a scalpel to join up the dots and clean the edges, then files to get the edges smooth. Or if the panel is required I use my bare metal foil scriber to cut it out using Dymo tape as a guide, this is done with a series of light strokes rather than digging deep at the start.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...