The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 WNW Lancaster

Peterpools

9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

One thing I never did understand was Harris’s absolute unwavering refusal to allow RAF bombers to rearm with .50 cal guns.  The AAF used them, and the RCAF changed their Lancs over, but the RAF refused. 

I wonder if it was because they felt that the .303 round being smaller and lighter, they could carry more rounds of ammo for the same weight versus .50 cal. The same sort of argument of 7.62 vs 5.56 that came later on. 

I'd also read somewhere that the RAF had a massive stockpile of .303 ammo and wanted to use it up before buying something else. 

Maybe a combo of the the two?

Carl

• Like 4

Apparently the 0.5 were prone to stoppages (?)  whereas the .303 were very reliable plus, even the RAF gunners considered that havin a bank of four machine guns concentrating fire at close range was pretty good. I cant remember the firing rate but it was a lot of bullets (rounds) for a short burst. Night combats lasted but seconds and usually at close range so it was exceptable . . . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The same sort of argument of 7.62 vs 5.56 that came later on. 

It was also due to the fact that if you hit someone with 7.62 they generally didn't get back up and were normally killed. This negates the need for other resources. Where as with 5.56 you can hit someone, they get injured and have to be removed from the battlefield and take up more resources in aftercare (medical and admin).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1