The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 WNW Lancaster

Peterpools

32 minutes ago, Wumm said:
52 minutes ago, Wumm said:

No-one prospers in Mainland China without the support or at least the permission of the CCP. However things are changing, albeit slowly in some cases.

I am also a member of some Horological Forums. Many counterfeit watches these days can be so well made that even the experts can sometimes be fooled. As in the recent case where the Rapper Lil' Baby was sold a fake version of a $100,000 watch by a Jeweller in the USA who put a 300% mark-up on it first...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/lil-baby-patek-nautilus

Many fake watches are made along side the originals in the same factories that are hired by various high-end watch brands to make the cases and dials that will later be assembled in Switzerland or Japan by Company employees. Often the only difference between genuine or fake is the type of movement within the watch that in most cases will never be seen by the end user. China is now cracking down on the fake watch industry, as it is with many other counterfeit ventures; but as this article shows, whether the fakes made with your brand on the dial get seized or not often depends on whether you pay off the Authorities in advance.

https://www.europastar.com/the-watch-files/watchmaking-in-china/1004091677-in-the-labyrinth-of-counterfeit-watches.html

So there may be some cause for concern if you breach Chinese Copyright Law, and your adversary has deep pockets.

Probably a good idea to have at least a basic knowledge of the law, if you intend to call an Individual a prick, an asshole or a liar on an open Forum.

Especially if that Individual is a Billionaire and also in a litigious mood...

S

So I'm going to get sued for calling him a prick? That's hillarious!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Everyone has more or less played nice. Thank you for that, folks.  It’s back up for sale, I expect I’ll have one, simply because it’s the ultimate Lanc kit.   
I built the HK kit and loved it, but for a wartime Lanc, I expect this kit will be amazing. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
On 11/6/2021 at 7:47 PM, krow113 said:

lol

every other thread on all the other forums about this has been locked off.

...and here we are trying to figure out if China is red.

The staff here have had discussions regarding things like this. As long as things don’t degrade into the absurd, personal attacks, or similar, we let things run their course. Personally, I think it’s healthy to a certain degree. As long as it’s our regular bunch having discussions over coffee, it’s all good. Now when some new guy walks in and tips the table over, we all have an issue with that. 
Y’all know my personal feelings on Chinese Copyright and business practices. I needn’t go over them again. Let’s just say this isn’t the first time this has happened.

From my understanding, the DR.1 was an employee generated project to fund other more esoteric ventures. As a result, PJ didn’t care one bit about that project.  The Lanc however is another story. That’s his baby and this hurts him hard.

• Like 5

You're a great advocate for free speech Steve...

1 hour ago, krow113 said:

I dont want to read all of those comments.

Except for when it offends your own sensibilities that is.

Now THAT'S laughable.

S

Not trolling. Merely calling you out for your own actions. That's how you roll, isn't it?

Advocates free speech, but doesn't like to hear it from others. Advocates loose moderation, except for when it aligns with your own narrative. All about living your own truth, doesn't like to hear home truths.

Completely not surprised that the art of civil conversation makes no sense to you.

S

22 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Everyone has more or less played nice. Thank you for that, folks.  It’s back up for sale, I expect I’ll have one, simply because it’s the ultimate Lanc kit.   
I built the HK kit and loved it, but for a wartime Lanc, I expect this kit will be amazing. 

Ernie, any thoughts to what markings you'll do yours in? I broke down and sold one of my mountain bikes to pick one up. Don't worry, I still got another 4 so I'm not without wheels. :D

I'm leaning towards R for Ropey which I have custom masks for. 

I've got the Belcher's Bits decal sheet and was thinking of the wartime VR-A but that has bulged bomb bay doors. 

Carl

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Yep, I actually have a Squadron I’m going to do, just not sure of the bird yet.  
It will be an Airborne Cigar (ABC) of 101 Sqn RAF, because my ex FIL did a full tour with them as a tail gunner and was a third of the way through his second when he was forcibly transferred to 429 Sqn RCAF as they activated.  (He was not amused) The war ended shortly after  

101 Sqn had some of the highest loss rates of the war, but his crew was Blessed. They had nobody killed, and no crew members left the team except for their Nav who took extended leave for kidney stones. He came back and they soldiered on.   The history of the ABC missions is interesting. They carried an German speaking extra crew member who acted as an ECM operator and broke into the night fighters radio traffic and screwed with the GCI guys.  The ABC birds also transmitted static and interference, sometimes simply microphones set in the cowlings of the Merlin engines and kept an open key on the German Freqs.. That really messed with the Germans ability to conduct ops.  Needless to say, the ABC ships were prime targets and were #1 on the list to destroy. They were easily picked out due to the extra antenna arrays….

Along with those duties, they also conducted normal bombing duties. Far be it for Harris to let an aircraft leave out empty! 

B951C0EF-CD69-48A3-AA0B-588194B6BFA4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Ernie, a real connection to a squadron. Here is a map of Bomber County, I’m towards the south of the county……..this is the site…..

http://www.bcar.org.uk/index

8E645E99-B5CE-4419-8B70-32314AD1264F.thumb.gif.4c5eaeed6a87804d6a8a1d5b6338e278.gif

Phil

I never realized there were that many Bomber Airfields in England. Add in Fighter Command and the USAAF bases and it's hard to think there was very much open acreage left. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

I never realized there were that many Bomber Airfields in England. Add in Fighter Command and the USAAF bases and it's hard to think there was very much open acreage left. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

The map is only of Lincolnshire, apparently some of the flight paths were within 4-5 miles of each other. The difference in miles between say Woodhall Spa and Coningsby is only 3 miles……..add in Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Norfolk and it was pretty crowded…..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yep, I actually have a Squadron I’m going to do, just not sure of the bird yet.  
It will be an Airborne Cigar (ABC) of 101 Sqn RAF, because my ex FIL did a full tour with them as a tail gunner and was a third of the way through his second when he was forcibly transferred to 429 Sqn RCAF as they activated.  (He was not amused) The war ended shortly after  

101 Sqn had some of the highest loss rates of the war, but his crew was Blessed. They had nobody killed, and no crew members left the team except for their Nav who took extended leave for kidney stones. He came back and they soldiered on.   The history of the ABC missions is interesting. They carried an German speaking extra crew member who acted as an ECM operator and broke into the night fighters radio traffic and screwed with the GCI guys.  The ABC birds also transmitted static and interference, sometimes simply microphones set in the cowlings of the Merlin engines and kept an open key on the German Freqs.. That really messed with the Germans ability to conduct ops.  Needless to say, the ABC ships were prime targets and were #1 on the list to destroy. They were easily picked out due to the extra antenna arrays….

Along with those duties, they also conducted normal bombing duties. Far be it for Harris to let an aircraft leave out empty! 

B951C0EF-CD69-48A3-AA0B-588194B6BFA4.jpeg

Really interesting Ernie. Hadn't realised they were quite as advanced as that. The mics in the cowlings is hilarious but deadly serious in intent. Yeah Harris was single minded to the point of monomaniacal! Max Hasting's book Chastise about the Dambusters raid paints a pretty clear picture of what a piece of work he was but acknowledges that he was exactly the type of personality needed for that role. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
6 hours ago, GusMac said:

Really interesting Ernie. Hadn't realised they were quite as advanced as that. The mics in the cowlings is hilarious but deadly serious in intent. Yeah Harris was single minded to the point of monomaniacal! Max Hasting's book Chastise about the Dambusters raid paints a pretty clear picture of what a piece of work he was but acknowledges that he was exactly the type of personality needed for that role. 

Yes, The AAF had LeMay a d the RAF had Harris.  They both made decisions that made perfect sense at the time, but maybe don’t quite stand up to scrutiny over the years. So we need to be careful to look at them through the lenses of the day, not of today. 
Aircraft so totally overloaded that even the slightest momentary hiccup from one of the engines on the takeoff roll meant a massive fireball off the end of the runway. But one less gallon of gasoline meant less of a chance of making it back.  One less bomb loaded today meant one more trip in the future, and one less ammo belt loaded meant one less belt to fight off the German fighters.

One thing I never did understand was Harris’s absolute unwavering refusal to allow RAF bombers to rearm with .50 cal guns.  The AAF used them, and the RCAF changed their Lancs over, but the RAF refused. 

• Like 3