Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Rye Field M4A3E8 "project"! LOL

Okay guys, this one is out of my comfort zone as I seldom build armor. I really like this version of the Sherman and this looks to be a very good kit so I think I will take the plunge. The main thing that puts me off is the tracks. As you can see, they are made up of a butt-load of small fiddly pieces that have to be assembled just right. I'm going to give it a try but am making no promises! LOL Maybe I should call this my "Out of my friggin' mind build!" We will see! (It's likely this will be one I work on from time to time.)

11-16-21 001.jpg

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Holy cow - right out of left field and easily the unexpected. Nice change of pace and will be following all the way. :popcorn:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

LOL Agreed Peter! I'll work on this one along with a ZM Skyraider (whenever it shows up!). Two on the bench at the same time. :)

• Like 4

John, the tracks aren't that bad. They include a jig to help you get them together. I generally only used the bottom part of the jig and didn't bother with the upper half. I put a small drip of Tamiya Extra Thin in the locating hole on part F3 and then press F6 into place. Once you get started, you fall into a rhythm building them. 

One thing to remember. Leave F2 on the small runners until after you have the pads joined together. 

Hope that helps. 

Carl

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

John, the tracks aren't that bad. They include a jig to help you get them together. I generally only used the bottom part of the jig and didn't bother with the upper half. I put a small drip of Tamiya Extra Thin in the locating hole on part F3 and then press F6 into place. Once you get started, you fall into a rhythm building them. 

One thing to remember. Leave F2 on the small runners until after you have the pads joined together. 

Hope that helps. 

Carl

Thanks for the info Carl! I'm sure it will be of help. :)

• Like 2

That's how I like my tanks - no interior. I love tanks, I just don't have the patience to build something I can't see. I have a Tamiya M4 Easy 8 half built, and a Dragon Early Tiger I, but can't seem to get back to them. I look forward to seeing this one come together, as I have not done an RFM kit yet. That Panther kit you have for sale is very tempting.

Tim

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, biggtim said:

That's how I like my tanks - no interior. I love tanks, I just don't have the patience to build something I can't see. I have a Tamiya M4 Easy 8 half built, and a Dragon Early Tiger I, but can't seem to get back to them. I look forward to seeing this one come together, as I have not done an RFM kit yet. That Panther kit you have for sale is very tempting.

Tim

Thanks Tim. The Panther is still available. :)

• Like 2

Instead of using the fiddly kit track parts I'm going to substitute vinyl tracks from a Tamiya M4A3E8. It looks like they will work okay and spare me the high cuss-factor of the RF tracks. Fingers crossed.:)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

John, it’s a good idea if the tracks are daunting, believe me I’ve walked away from many sessions of track building. The Tamiya band are probably the best out therein that format…….also if it means it’s not sent to to the SOD even better……

Agreed Phil!!! I bought a Tamiya kit on ebay earlier today so for now I can concentrate on other parts of the build. (It turns out I built a Tamiya one some years back. I had forgotten about it but it is in one of my cases.):)

• Like 2

Just for grins, here's the Tamiya kit I built something like 20 years ago. (Now I might just put the RF kit on hold and turn to something else:).) Click on the pics for best resolution and slide show.

11-17-21 001.jpg

11-17-21 003.jpg

• Like 7

For someone who says they don't do armour, that Sherman and base looks really good. 

Hope you change your mind and take a crack at the Sherman. As for the tracks, since the Sherman's have live tracks that are under tension, the rubber band style won't be that noticable. Saggy track like on a Tiger would be more obvious. 

Carl

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

For someone who says they don't do armour, that Sherman and base looks really good. 

Hope you change your mind and take a crack at the Sherman. As for the tracks, since the Sherman's have live tracks that are under tension, the rubber band style won't be that noticable. Saggy track like on a Tiger would be more obvious. 

Carl

Thanks Carl! I went through it this AM and clipped off the MANY little molding tabs. I'll keep it on the bench to work on while I'm building the ZM Skyraider. A bit here and a bit there, etc. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

Just for grins, here's the Tamiya kit I built something like 20 years ago. (Now I might just put the RF kit on hold and turn to something else:).) Click on the pics for best resolution and slide show.

11-17-21 001.jpg

11-17-21 003.jpg

John

Holy Cow, awesome build for sure. Perfect weathering

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3