The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Rye Field M4A3E8 "project"! LOL

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

You’re going to love the Quinta Cockpit sets. I used one on my P-51 build - brilliant addition and Dove in and bought quite a few 48th scale sets as well. I just finished detailing the front office of the Tamiya 48th Tomcat and I fell right off my chair when I took a good long look. No question, it’s the future here and now

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

That sounds good Peter. I look forward to receiving my A-1 set.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

With the Shermans, there is another player in the game with Asuka. They have lots of different versions and a good reputation. I haven't built one yet, but have one in stash and the kit looks tamiyaesque on the sprues. It has rubber band tracks, which I will substitute on mine.

Cheers Rob

That's good to know Rob. Thanks! :)

• Like 4

The Asuka Shermans are considered to be some of the best Sherman kits in terms of accuracy and detail and without a lot of small fussy bits. Some folks feel the recent Rye Field kits have topped them but only barely. 

They go together really well without any hiccups. Even the included rubber band tracks are nicely done. Unfortunately their HVSS kits don't have rubber band tracks, just the individual link ones. 

The only annoying/gimmicky bit is the working suspension. They use soft rubber pads to cushion the swingarms. Some versions have a plastic spacer you can use to get rid of that "feature" and build it fixed. I used pieces of sprue cut to the right height to do the same thing. 

Tamiya thought they were good enough that they even re-boxed a couple. Those are silly money on the collectors markets. 

I've build three so far and have another three to go 

Carl

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The Asuka Shermans are considered to be some of the best Sherman kits in terms of accuracy and detail and without a lot of small fussy bits. Some folks feel the recent Rye Field kits have topped them but only barely. 

They go together really well without any hiccups. Even the included rubber band tracks are nicely done. Unfortunately their HVSS kits don't have rubber band tracks, just the individual link ones. 

The only annoying/gimmicky bit is the working suspension. They use soft rubber pads to cushion the swingarms. Some versions have a plastic spacer you can use to get rid of that "feature" and build it fixed. I used pieces of sprue cut to the right height to do the same thing. 

Tamiya thought they were good enough that they even re-boxed a couple. Those are silly money on the collectors markets. 

I've build three so far and have another three to go 

Carl

Interesting Carl. I figure to give armor a break after I get this Sherman done but will come back to armor later since I have a number of armor kits in the stash. :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

More then just a little progress - you're easily on the JohnB Expressway and in the "awesome looking' left lane (here in the states).

Keep 'em comin

Peter

LOL Peter. Not without a few bumps though Peter. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Looks good, JohnnyB!

Thanks Gaz! This thing sure takes a lot of painting! Next I'll have to contend with painting the rubber on the wheels. 🤪

5 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Copy Gary! Great progress John!

Thanks Kai! Airbrushing this thing has it's "moments"! 🙄

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JohnB said:

Next I'll have to contend with painting the rubber on the wheels. 🤪

If you have a circle template, here's what I do. After cleaning up any mould seams, I spray the rubber portions on the wheels with rubber black.

IMG_20200813_160541-600x450.jpg

Once dry I just hold them behind appropriate sized circle on my circle template and spray the wheel colour.

IMG_20200813_160536-600x450.jpg

The one I use is from Hasegawa and increases in diameter by 0.5mm.

PXL_20211204_035542892.thumb.jpg.e812084ffc4621f00ecd25d893c062f6.jpg

And nice work on the Sherman.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, JohnB said:

Next I'll have to contend with painting the rubber on the wheels. 🤪

It's not uncommon for the rubber areas to get camo paint on them.  When I was in Desert Storm, all of the rubber wheels had overspray.  I prefer to air them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

If you have a circle template, here's what I do. After cleaning up any mould seams, I spray the rubber portions on the wheels with rubber black.

Once dry I just hold them behind appropriate sized circle on my circle template and spray the wheel colour.

I used this method on my two AMX builds after Carl's previous recommendation of it and I have to say it works a dream. 👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks Carl. I have a template that works well also but, since I've already sprayed the centers I'll have to just brush paint the rubber areas. Not a big deal.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice progress and your paint work is flawless as always. 
I never built a armor model and it’s amazing at all the options of how to paint the wheels.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter. :)

• Like 2