The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Mono-Chrome 1/16th Scale Stug III ausf G

Well...I had to shelve the Huey for awhile. Not too long I hope. In the meantime I got hooked on doing armor again and have finished a couple and still working on others. THEN....this thing came out. I was lucky enough to snag one of the initial releases. Now essentially this is almost identical to the Das Works version coming out soon. The main difference is in the armored side skirts available here, but not on the Das Works kit, but their kit does include more interior items. I can also tell you this thing is BIG....the largest armor kit I have ever built.

irdmct933-0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20211117-202245.jpg

This will be my main reference except for the color plaques in the instructions. I am going to add some interior details just for grins and giggles. I hate that you can look right through to the torsion bars in the lower hull. From the few modest pictures in my reference, I think it shouldn't be too hard.

20211116-132641-1.jpg

The main hull is all one piece and very well detailed. I have already attached the main shock struts at the number 1 and 6 idler bogies. These shocks are not flexible, but rigidly mounted to the hull. As I add the 2 through 5 idlers, the torsion bars actually do give and rebound like the real suspension.

20211118-010609.jpg

The drive cog is going to be fun. If you paint it prior to installation, it will be easier. However, the drive "hump" also needs to be painted prior to install. As you can see, I discovered that too late....

20211121-001423.jpg

The upper hull and rear take-up cog are not permanent.

20211126-171444.jpg

The main gun is well detailed at the breach end and the kit includes your choice of a metal or plastic barrel. Again, the upper hull and upper deck are not attached.

20211127-075210.jpg

I took this just to give you an idea between the 1/35th scale Hummer and the 1/16th scale Stug.....told you it was big.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Bomber, but there is no parts count listed in either the instructions or on the box. I can tell you there are about 25 trees and many have duplicates such as the idler bogies and road wheels. Lets just say there's ALOT! A plastic main barrel as well as a metal one, a woven brass tow cable, separate PE sheet and a small decal sheet are also included. What's not included is any crew members, however there are two plastic figure kits available for a tank commander and a sitting loader for about $20 each. As mentioned above, the interior detail is next to nill, but scratch building shouldn't be too difficult. Between the loaders hatch and the commander's hatch, there just too much of the interior observable to leave alone. I understand the Das Works kit adds some of the detail in the kit already. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Man that’s big…..one day I’ll do 1/16 but have to build a new wing to store them, looking forward to more of the WIP…..what’s the part count like

Heller has the same kit in it's portfolio and they claim 1300 +x parts, whatever that means.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Your build looks great so far and it's quite a behemoth. It's a very tempting kit and there will be more 1/16 Stug's available in short time. My only venture in this scale was the Takom Chinese Tankette and I have to say, I like the scale and the opportunities which lay in, painting- and weathering wise.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

I saw an advert yesterday I had to check out. A group from Australia (I think) called Hearn's Workshop is developing 3D printed parts for the Das Works Stug III G. Since these Stugs are essentially the same, the parts should be interchangeable. The few parts they have showcased so far include more accurate large rivet heads and three different muzzle brakes for later versions of the 75mm main gun tube and they mentioned working on ammo bins. My hope is that they will produce a line of interior parts including the gun breech guard, crew station seats, and radio gear.

• Like 5

Another update courtesy of the weekend....I was able to get some painting time it. Since most of the running gear was ready, and the track for one side was assembled, I decided to shoot some primary colors on and start the weathering process.....at least on one side. I can't go much farther on the interior because of a supply shortage awaiting delivery of more "stuff" I need to carry on farther. That's a fancy way of saying "I have stalled long enough...let's roll!"

20211204-191631.jpg

So I start here with a little pre-shading over the general hull....

20211204-221654.jpg

...after a few light coats of the base color (some of it still wet when I took that shot)...

20211204-221749.jpg

....a second dusting of color and let dry thoroughly....

20211205-173846.jpg

....attach the road, idler, and take-up bogies and then thread the track on....

20211205-181818.jpg

...and then paint to match....

16387971401388255279679564460722.jpg

....and start adding in some weathering. Remember, most of this will be covered by the side-skirt armor plates, but I'm ADD about these kind of things. Even if it can't be seen, I know it's there so it matters. Now I have to get the OTHER side along the way so they match. BOY! I'm really gonna hate sitting there for hours assembling another 93 track links!!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well...I can't really say for sure.  There is no definitive parts count listed anywhere on the box or instructions. There are 23 major parts trees including PE Brass, clear parts, and individual parts (metal barrel and woven brass tow cable)...and that's not including the trees for all the track link parts. I know there are a few parts extra because of duplicate trees, but not that many. There are no crewmen included, but there are two crewman plastic kits (TC and loader) available separately for about $20 each. I plan to get them and include them. Decals are provided,  but there are few needed. My version will be a Stug assigned to northern France in the fall of 1944 immediately following Dday.

• Like 2

20211209-013058.jpg

Okay folks...I need some help with a decision that I have been 50/50 about for the last week or so. The armored top of the fighting compartment fits very tightly and won't require glue to hold in place. By not gluing it in place, it can be removed to show interior detail....which will have to be all scratch built. That's going to take a while since practically nothing is available in this scale. If, however I glue the top in place, very little of the interior is visible as you can see...

20211209-013144.jpg

This is what's visible without the top plate...

20211209-013255.jpg

So which direction do I go? A small amount of interior and top mounted permanently or a large amount of interior and leave the top removable? What would you do?

• Like 3

Since it seems that all the other parts of the tank, front, back and sides are already glued in place, you could leave the roof unglued and decide later. If the fit is as good as you say, there is no loss, doing it this way. Scratching and painting a complete interior with top access only would make me a bit nervous, though. I would likely add a figure or two and disguise the innards this way.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My vote would be to not detail the interior as once the model is in the display case and unless you would be able to see the detailed interior without picking up the model, just a lot of work that will never be seen. I know the other side of the coin is to do all the detailing and knowing it’s there is important and self rewarding but just doesn’t make sense to me. My vote all these years is if you can’t see it, leave the details out, ala ZM kits. 
Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I agree with Peter too...I was sorta leaning that way but I digress.

20211212-002209.jpg

I am going to add some detail since the aft fighting compartment is visible through the open hatches.  But I promise not to get too crazy with it. I start with coating the interior off white...more to come.

20211212-002228.jpg

I also have added more of the smaller details to the upper hull such as blackout headlight, smoke grenade tubes, and drivers visor armored hood.

20211212-002043.jpg

The spare track rack on the aft deck has also been added. The main upper and lower hull halves are permanently joined and there's a couple of small joints to address here, but nothing major. The second track is about 30% but the running gear is ready to go on now. That's it for now...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1