The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Done - F-4EJ Kai Phantom - The Last of it's Kind ZM 1/48

DocRob

Thank you for providing for my request, Rob.  I never really envisaged 'senior' surfers before.  I'm not really a water person, and without the context I've just let the image of youthful surfers dominate my perceptions.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you for providing for my request, Rob.  I never really envisaged 'senior' surfers before.  I'm not really a water person, and without the context I've just let the image of youthful surfers dominate my perceptions.

Yeah, I know, I started surfing, when most guys end their surfing career, but I know lots of older surfers here in Europe, even on my island. I may not be the archetypical surfer dude anymore, but it helps to stay healthy and in good shape. I hate to be a fat sofa fart almost as much as I dislike indoor sports, especially working out in a gym. So for me it's surfing, running, mountain biking and swimming, with the only indoor concession of some Yoga hours indoors, which I can really recommend.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DocRob said:

Yeah, I know, I started surfing, when most guys end their surfing career, but I know lots of older surfers here in Europe, even on my island. I may not be the archetypical surfer dude anymore, but it helps to stay healthy and in good shape. I hate to be a fat sofa fart almost as much as I dislike indoor sports, especially working out in a gym. So for me it's surfing, running, mountain biking and swimming, with the only indoor concession of some Yoga hours indoors, which I can really recommend.

Cheers Rob

Add modelling and I’d say in my book it’s idyllic……..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Add modelling and I’d say in my book it’s idyllic……..

Mostly it is, actually I need sports to counterbalance good food, nice drinks and of course modelling, where I sit hunched over my bench. I guess we all know :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Back to the Phantom after all that surf babbel. I prepared parts for the next sub assemblies, like the inside of the air intakes, the engines with burner cans, the fuselage and tail and the wheel wells.
All these parts were airbrushed with the formidable Tamiya LP gloss white, in case of the wheel wells as base color and in case of the later to metallize parts as a primer.
I hope, it will proof as a durable base coat, as it's sprayable very thin and high gloss for optimal priming without loosing detail.

Cheers Rob

IMG_9582.thumb.JPG.da96686ac2dae435a5017a2dc51ede36.JPG

IMG_9581.thumb.JPG.76b8e1e8c2ea653ba65b776363f49dfe.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Nice progress on your F4; especially on the lower exhaust area. I’ll be taking notes on how you apply the weathering and finish.

Thanks Peter, I haven't planned a lot of weathering, as the paint scheme cries for a clean plane. I will weather the metal parts around the nozzles and tail a bit though.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Perfect - going to be a huge help for me for sure.

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Nice progress, Rob!

Muchas gracias hombres, metal painting and finishing will be interesting. I hope, I can make it look right.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Have just seen this right now.

Great subject and build up to now Rob! Looking top notch! I‘m a Phantom-Phanatic and will follow your build closely.

I'm sure you like it, because it's a KAI Phantom :D. I feel a little jittery with guys around, who know their Phantoms. Can't get away with too many mistakes ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

The first stage of metal painting started with a lot of masking. I kabukied the tail and some parts of the fuselage, which were then sprayed stainless steel. The panel lines on the tail were cut along the panel lines with a sharp blade, which is simpler than doing it the other way around, if you have good panel lines at least.

IMG_9584.thumb.JPG.a3b7dd0b8f59ba92cd098048e3e1cfe5.JPG

The nozzles received a bit more attention, with all colors used were from AK's extremely good Xtreme Metals range.

1) First I sprayed the nozzles and all other parts of the engines Metallic smoke
2) Then the recesses of the nozzles were sprayed Jet exhaust from very close.
3) Some Black panel liner was brushed on to make the effect a bit more evenly. The panel liner made masking each nozzle panel superfluous, luckily.
4) Next ,I applied Titanium, only misted onto the outside of the nozzles with a flat angled airbrush.
5) Black Panel liner was used on the recesses inside and outside the nozzles.
6) Finally, I applied some Iron Pigments from the Uschi range with a cotton swab, to get a nice metal finish and eliminating even the slightest spray grain.

After step 2, expectably ugly

IMG_9585.thumb.JPG.fdaced1190e89027ca06d29203232853.JPG

Step 3 with first panel liner treatment

IMG_9587.thumb.JPG.21bedd032e740fce1c90642bb5772510.JPG7

Titanium sprayed on

IMG_9588.thumb.JPG.3c7718cef8523959802b36b0f9b70a40.JPG

And finally, done for now after more panel liner and the cotton swabbed Iron pigments. The inside will be randomly provided with very matte pigments in smoke and white ash color and maybe some pigments on the outside as well, depending on the genera appearance.

IMG_9591.thumb.JPG.1ca5ed9e78439b91daaeba94c48710e2.JPG

IMG_9590.thumb.JPG.7ec5834d07236886f7169cef6a60e115.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Those burner cans looks fantastic. Suitably dirty and heat stained. 

Thanks for the step by step and the surfing info.

Mountain biking I can relate to. I've got a '96 Mantis Flying V running XTR along with a '97 Specialized FSR. But my primary ride these days is my Ibis Mojo HD. Full carbon frame and 150mm of suspension travel means I don't feel the bumps anymore. What are you riding?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Mountain biking I can relate to. I've got a '96 Mantis Flying V running XTR along with a '97 Specialized FSR. But my primary ride these days is my Ibis Mojo HD. Full carbon frame and 150mm of suspension travel means I don't feel the bumps anymore. What are you riding?

That's a great collection of bikes Carl. I've got four bikes, but two of them are in Berlin. One I gave to my son, an old but perfectly intact Trek single track MTB classic with a Shimano DX (The best they've made :2c:) equipment, which I used as a messenger back in my student time in Berlin and a custom made street bike which I use, when visiting Berlin.
Here on my island, I have a Canyon full suspension bike and a Stephens fully E-MTB, which is a great addition, as the hills here are really steep and the motor enhances the possible routes by far. With this bike, I can go uphill offroad, which is impossible with a normal MTB.

The Canyon bike sports an old Brooks leather saddle with almost the same weight as the rest of the bike :D

P1140527.thumb.JPG.e06b2d12e78dca6625f35399fd6e3b2a.JPG

The Stephens is a beast, a really durable MTB with 150 mm travel and way more stable than the Canyon with shorter wheelbase 

P1140520.thumb.JPG.bb0bc1b435ccc7717ba02ecba1bd1277.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Brilliant burner cans. Amazing paintwork Rob! 

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Burner cans look great and and thank you for showing us your technique.

Thank you Kai and Peter, they are not ready yet, but I have to admit, reproduce materials is one of my favorites in modelling and metals are top on my list.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Nice bikes Rob! Canyon only recently became available in Canada. 

I forgot my Lynskey 29er which my wife would kill me for since she bought it for my 40th. It's a custom Ti cruiser style single speed with laser etched flames. 

0530187f-600x402.jpg

I've a couple fat bikes too but my fleet is the smallest it's been in a long time. At one point I had 11 bikes in a 800 square ft condo.  I jokingly told friends it was so I could have a different bike every day of the week plus some backups. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice bikes Rob! Canyon only recently became available in Canada. 

Thank you Carl, you seem to be really bike addicted. The TI cruiser looks great in it's simplicity. I'm a metal guy, when it comes to bikes. I don't like carbon, but Aluminum and Titanium. At best I like steel frames, of course not for every bike, but the possibility to create slim frames, rigid and with flex is fascinating.
A friend here on my island owns a bike shop and rental along with guided MTB tours. For a long time Canyon was his main supplier, so he sells the bikes after a year or two for a great price and they are perfectly maintained.
I think, I will exchange the Canyon soon for a bike a bit more to my liking.
Here I don't like road biking and for the terrain you need relatively fat and large tires, as most of the tracks are very steep and extremely rocky. I'm not the best of all offroaders, the bigger fatter wheels give some security. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Today, I glued together the wings and fuselage and everything went together gap free and with a snap in the right place. 

P1160202.thumb.JPG.b983ff85482e6a0efd629682f7e5ce7b.JPG

Before that, I made sure, the wheel wells were prepared, painted gloss white and accentuated with black panel wash. I'm after a relatively clean paintjob with high contrasts for this build.

P1160199.thumb.JPG.51d5b940566af7917194e23f6d8790d8.JPG

P1160200.thumb.JPG.dbb9096d6602b53dd4352b6cd4aa82cd.JPG

The resin engines where assembled and received dabbed on black and concrete pigments on the inside. I applied these with a sponge, cut to fit and cotton swabs. I may intensify the effect later.

P1160197.thumb.JPG.3045c53296c9a2e882c88f045f2aea09.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

You're making fantastic progress and the well wells look spectacular

Thanks Peter, I sure could do more detailing work and will add some detail painting later, but I will not go overboard with this build.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3