The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

P-39 Cobra II in progress

In keeping with my current interest in post war racing a/c this is next up. P-39 Cobra II which won the Thompson Trophy in 1946. Special Hobby P-39Q with a kit bashed prop/spinner and other embellishments such as lengthening the fuselage (as needed on all the SH P-39 kits). An eye-catching yellow/black paint job should look great in 1/32.

2-18-22 001.jpg

2-19-22 B 001.jpg

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Another racer. That's awesome John.

I was wondering about the fuselage extension. Is that a bit of AM or something you made?

Carl

Should be another eye catcher Carl. The extension is several layers of plastic sheet I trimmed to fit the rear fuselage. All the SH P-39's have too short fuselages by about 3/16" so, for accuracy, they need the extension. :)

P-39 002.jpg

P-39 003.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

I'm seated front and center and will be following intently :popcorn:. Just a great venue you branched out into the - thoroughly amazing work and so enjoyable to follow

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter. The ex-warplane racers are really cool and interesting to me. A number of them had really good looking paint schemes which will make some very attractive models. It's nice for a change of pace. :)

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Troy M. said:

Looking good so far John.  Another interesting subject.  

Thanks Troy. With racers we don't have to stick with "cookie cutter" color schemes and markings. It's nice to have something a bit different to build. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Damn, you're fast John :) , just catching up with this project, great work so far.   

Cheers

Martin

PS: Is it done yet ? :)

Coming right along. I still have a lot to do before I can hit it with some primer overall. :)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

progress simply at Superman's speed. Plug and wing roots look mighty good.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter. Luckily the plug fit okay and didn't take a whole lot of work. Although the wing roots have tons of putty they are smoothing out well. I hope to get the canopy, ailerons, rudder and elevators attached soon. :)