The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Share a Meme...

GazzaS

5 hours ago, biggtim said:

What the heck are those?

As a native Dundonian I can confidently say those are Wallace's mince pies. Staple part of the diet of any kid who grew up in Dundee during the 60s & 70s.

Mind you we also have Dundee cake which probably be better suited for a wedding! Also the home of marmalade, Commando comics and DC Thomson, famous for the Dandy and Beano kids comics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GusMac said:

As a native Dundonian I can confidently say those are Wallace's mince pies. Staple part of the diet of any kid who grew up in Dundee during the 60s & 70s.

Mind you we also have Dundee cake which probably be better suited for a wedding! Also the home of marmalade, Commando comics and DC Thomson, famous for the Dandy and Beano kids comics.

Same as mincemeat pies without the meat? Are they good? If they are anything like Vegemite in OZ, count me right the hell out. Never tried Haggis either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, biggtim said:

Same as mincemeat pies without the meat? Are they good? If they are anything like Vegemite in OZ, count me right the hell out. Never tried Haggis either.

Never heard of a meat pie with Vegemite in it.  And I live in Australia.  I had to eat a half a vegemite sandwich at my citizenship ceremony to please my family.  Nothing like being on the edge of vomiting for 10 minutes straight.

Aussie meat pies are pretty nice.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, GusMac said:

A large bridge , quite a cute town centre and a no Interesting old wooden ship as well , least last time I was there 20 years ago 

• Like 3

My wife makes mincemeat cookies for Christmas every year. Absolutely love them!  It’s just fruit chopped up and spiced to perfection.  People come over and eat them and go nuts. We then tell them they are mincemeat and they act like they are going to puke.  No, it’s not meat….

Its gotten very hard to find the mincemeat concentrate in out grocery stores.  I had to order it online last time I stocked up.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

My wife makes mincemeat cookies for Christmas every year. Absolutely love them!  It’s just fruit chopped up and spiced to perfection.  People come over and eat them and go nuts. We then tell them they are mincemeat and they act like they are going to puke.  No, it’s not meat….

Its gotten very hard to find the mincemeat concentrate in out grocery stores.  I had to order it online last time I stocked up.  

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Mince pies at Christmas are a staple necessity this side of the ditch and sold everywhere. Scott, could always send a mince pie care package………….

Same in Australia.  But I still prefer to have American pies on the holidays.   have to say, Aussie Christmas fruitcake is slightly better than American Christmas Fruitcake.

15 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

A large bridge , quite a cute town centre and a no Interesting old wooden ship as well , least last time I was there 20 years ago 

Yes and the RRS Discovery is now side by side with the V&A museum.

vna.thumb.jpg.6ef3317d57fd57b2b32005f4610bcfa8.jpg

Amazing looking building but actually not the most functional as there's a lot of dead space inside.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, biggtim said:

No, it's minced beef in these with a nice gravy.

Haggis is lovely and tastes a hell of a lot better than it sounds!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Same in Australia.  But I still prefer to have American pies on the holidays.   have to say, Aussie Christmas fruitcake is slightly better than American Christmas Fruitcake.

My wife makes mincemeat vodka for Christmas every year as a little aperitif. Just soaks all the fruit and spice in the vodka for about a month then sieves it all out. Bonus is you have some very alcoholic mincemeat for making your pies afterwards!!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

So I guess the Aussie fruitcake can hold a door against a 20 mph wind gust? 
In all honesty, I’ve had one good fruitcake experience in my lifetime.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

So I guess the Aussie fruitcake can hold a door against a 20 mph wind gust? 
In all honesty, I’ve had one good fruitcake experience in my lifetime.  

haha...   you got it right.  The main difference is that the Aussie one doesn't have candied fruit.  And is a little bit more moist.  Unlike the American door stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Yes and the RRS Discovery is now side by side with the V&A museum.

vna.thumb.jpg.6ef3317d57fd57b2b32005f4610bcfa8.jpg

Amazing looking building but actually not the most functional as there's a lot of dead space inside.

More reasons to visit 😀, I was thinking HMS Unicorn , which I got to walk around some years ago . Used to be a great little Indian restaurant in the town as well .

14 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

More reasons to visit 😀, I was thinking HMS Unicorn , which I got to walk around some years ago . Used to be a great little Indian restaurant in the town as well .

HMS Unicorn is undergoing a major overhaul at the moment to keep it seaworthy (or at least floating in the harbour!) and to try and restore more of the original features. Built in Chatham in 1824, so one of the oldest ships still left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1