The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell 1:32 ME109 G6... 7 weeks to finish… Update 4

This arrived at my doorstep and should end up as an article in Tamiya Magazine. Basically I have 7 weeks to finish the ME109 G6, which should be possible, but will demand some dedication. I'm not the fastest of builders you know. But I managed to finish the pit in the first week and will now move on to assembly of the fuselage and painting of the wheel wells. I'm not going to comment on the kit, you will have to read that in the february issue of next year, but it has been fun so far...

DSCF2619_zpsfd352756.jpg

DSCF2627_zps6c26024c.jpg

DSCF2628_zps40d7567d.jpg

• Like 3

I have read this is a good kit in fit and overall shape. Do you think it is as good as guys are saying in reviews?

There are certainly some issues with the kit. The moulded safety harness, the air intake with the thin lip, the spinner, some overdone detail on flaps, the undersized bulges on the nose are some examples. These can be corrected. So far she builds like a charm. I don't have the Hase kit so I cant compare. The best judgement would be price vs quality and I think it then rates as a very good kit and a great platform for detailing..

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I made some progress, with about four weeks to go from now… all bass painting is done except for the tail section. I'm about to start painting that, apply the decals and weather progressively. At least she starts to look like a G6 now, but I will need all the time I can find to finish this one like I would want….. hope you like the pics!

DSCF2647_zpsb3499d6b.jpg

DSCF2650_zps869cba94.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With two weeks left I'm in the middle of the weathering. All basic painting has been done and the mottling came out nicely I think. The decals worked very well, but I had some trouble with the crosses  on the fuselage. The wrinkling didn't quite disappear so in the end I sanded them down, masked and sprayed some corrections on. After the protective varnishes had dried I started with brownish green to simulate grime, especially on the wing root. It seems a bit heavy now, but this also is the basis for the exhaust color which will be added in the final stages. I'm now in the middle of giving her a bit of a streaky appearance to break up the colors. The first pic is grime only, the second and third pic is the streaking. I hope you like the pics, all comments welcome as usual. Happy modelling, Jeroen

DSCF2658_zpsf4a3676e.jpg

DSCF2660_zps0ec944d8.jpg

DSCF2663_zps708b3a80.jpg

• Like 1

That's correct Bevan! It looks a bit strange now but I hope that with the subsequent washes the contrasts will become a bit stronger and have some more depth. Of course the final coats of eggshell varnish will tie it all together, but that's the last phase. I'm very hopeful to meet TMMI's deadline but I need to keep up the pace!

• Like 1

Ready for the last weathering stretch. Additional weathering has been done to break up the colors. Now it's time to tie it all together. Washes for the panel lines and raised detail, exhaust en gun grime, some scratches and a final coat of semi gloss varnish should do the job. Next week (the last week before the deadline) I should be able to finish the prop, landing gear, antenna's and other small details. Things are looking good if nothing unexpected happens. All comments are welcome as usual, happy modelling, Jeroen

DSCF2665_zps6a93bb90.jpg

DSCF2667_zps0f03dcf3.jpg

DSCF2670_zps7c03c9d0.jpg