Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Border Models (Wingnut) Lancaster

• Administrators

I just had a chance to look this kit over, and what a kit!  It’s amazing in every way and nay very well be the ultimate model of all time.

HOWEVER

Being that it’s easily twice the twice the model of the HK Lanc, is it twice the model?  In my estimation, NO, it is NOT.  It is a much more detailed model with the Wingnut bunch having done their homework, and it has a staggering amount of amazing detail, including the patchwork effect sometimes seen on stressed skin aircraft, (NOT oilcanning) but to me, the HKM Lanc is every bit as worthy a model.  Yes,the HKM kit has a couple issues, mostly cockpit related, of which fixes are easily obtained or scratched, and yes, the HKM kit is modeled on a Canadian Mk.X that saw postwar service, (metal elevators and different chin scoops), but dollar for dollar I’d say the HKM Kit more than holds its own here. 

YMMV, but I’ve built the HKM kit and throughly enjoyed it, and I’ll build the new offering as well.  But all that amazing detail will be hidden inside a fuselage, and that negates much of the attraction.

Think about it: 300-350 dollars plus, say an extra 100 for seat, Airscale panel and Barracuda wheels, compared to the best part of $700 USD to your door. And I’m POSITIVE the Border kit will need some AM here and there.  To me, that’s an easy decision.

PS:  one other thing.  Border has included all types of options for this kit.  Including a couple very well documented Aircraft:

“Phantom of The Ruhr”, a Lanc B Mk. lll of 500 Sqn, circa 1944

”Victorious Virgin” a late war Mk. X of 424 Sqn RCAF,

and G for George,  a Mk. lll in 1944.

All well known Lancs with TONS of reference material available everywhere.  Victorious Virgin, for example, used H2S radar.  The cross section shows mo such radar on her. Matter of fact, no cross sectionals sho H2S installed, although it would have been easy enough to do.    My question is, Is this a sign of us once again being forced to accept poor Chinese research into markings and equipment?  I’m not going to say as much yet, but for 700 dollars, I’d sure appreciate a bit better research on markings. 
I have no doubt Border had to do plenty of work to finish the molds, but that’s life.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Ernie for your comparison, really surprised about the H2S. I can now appreciate your comments concerning “Hidden within” having built the stunning ZM 51 and literally none of the interior can be seen. My question would be, the stressed skin is major feature of the full size plane, so is the Border price enough to warrant having the effect. Just my random thoughts……

• Like 4

Ernie

Thank you for your honest and initial opinion of the Border Lanc and comparison to the HKM's kit. I'm not a fan of all the hidden details in any kit, as they just add to the cost for nothing in return when in the display case. Kits with all this detail suffers from a fit issues as a result. ZM comes to mind as I have failed more then once on building their kits do to these issues, most likely my own doing but I would much rather have a kit without all the internal hidden details parts, fits better and of course, cost less as a result.

• Like 4

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Ernie for your comparison, really surprised about the H2S. I can now appreciate your comments concerning “Hidden within” having built the stunning ZM 51 and literally none of the interior can be seen. My question would be, the stressed skin is major feature of the full size plane, so is the Border price enough to warrant having the effect. Just my random thoughts……

Yeah, I’m not knocking the kit whatsoever. From what I saw, it’s probably the finest model aircraft ever offered for sale. 
And yes, many Lancs really had that stressed skin look to them (not oilcanning).  But not all did, or at least, it was minimal.

If I had posted this opinion elsewhere, I may have received much hate, but my opinion is an honest one from my point of view.  If you have the funds to acquire one and will only build one in your entire life, this is most likely your kit.  
But if your funds are limited, or you will be building multiples of the Lanc, the HKM kit takes a backseat to nobody.  It’s a VERY good kit as well.

Plus, if you want to build a postwar Mk.X, the HKM kit will need minimal changes. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Thank you for your honest and initial opinion of the Border Lanc and comparison to the HKM's kit. I'm not a fan of all the hidden details in any kit, as they just add to the cost for nothing in return when in the display case. Kits with all this detail suffers from a fit issues as a result. ZM comes to mind as I have failed more then once on building their kits do to these issues, most likely my own doing but I would much rather have a kit without all the internal hidden details parts, fits better and of course, cost less as a result.

Just a quick look at the LHS showed me a type of ZM style wing construction as well.  I didn’t have long to look, as it was for sale and I wasn’t buying that one, but assuming it’s WNW quality, it should assemble well.  But on the other hand, never ever discount the ChiComs ability to screw up a perfectly promising model kit. HobbyBoss B-24 and A-26, anyone?

That A-26 is a disgrace  

• Like 4

Ernie, thanks for the comparison and thoughts. Not many folks will have both kits in the stash much less build both. Plus you've got the hand on experience from your build. 

Here's a crazy thought. Use the clear fuselage from the HK kit with the interior bits from the Border one. Then you'd be able to appreciate the internal detail.  Not sure how the fit would be but it could be interesting. 

Carl

• Like 7

• Administrators

Carl, one of the things that’ll help people decide is that the Wingnut kit IS a WW2 era Lanc kit, whereas the HKM kit is more a Mk.X with postwar upgrades. 
A closer look at the Wingnut kit is needed. Someone here really needs to build one. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:
A closer look at the Wingnut kit is needed. Someone here really needs to build one. 

I haven’t seen any build logs at all, bar one guy on YouTube who I refuse to watch………..I just hope the “scalpers” are not laying them up in storage for the future……..

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

If anyone is interested, Wheels and Wings in Toronto has a pre-owned copy of the HK Lanc on sale for $288 USD with free shipping to Canada and the US until the end of the week.

https://wheelswingshobbies.com/hkm01e010-hk-models-1-32-avro-lancaster-b-mk-i-wwweb10105507/

Carl

Thank You for the link to the HKM Lanc on sale. I just have no room in my display case any models that large and these days, display space is one of the major factors in deciding whether or not to purchase a particular kit.

• Like 2