Nose surgery for a Trumpeter P-51B

JohnB

I've been noticing the nose of my Trumpeter P-51B racer "Houstonian" looks "funny". Seems it's too pointy. I've been considering grafting on a Tamiya P-51 nose to fix that. Since I have a left over Tamiya P-51 fuselage I decided to do some cutting and test fitting on a left over Trumpeter fuselage.  I think it's feasible but will be a lot of work. We will see! :)

9-12-22 001.jpg

4-28-22 004.jpg

9-9-22 A 001.jpg

• Like 6

Hi John

From the photograph, the Trumpy nose does look a bit pointy and the Tamiya nose a much better look. Completely agree it's going to take a lot of work: sanding and filling to blend all the sections together. My money is riding on you pulling it off.

Will be following all the way :popcorn:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Hi John

From the photograph, the Trumpy nose does look a bit pointy and the Tamiya nose a much better look. Completely agree it's going to take a lot of work: sanding and filling to blend all the sections together. My money is riding on you pulling it off.

Will be following all the way :popcorn:

Thank you Peter. It will work as long as I don't get too frustrated and aggravated! LOL :)

• Like 2

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Go slow and take your time. You have a lot more patience then I do.

John go slow at building?  LOL.  Yea, that’s funny right there. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

it's a hill I wouldn't even think of climbing and I'm still waiting for some brave manufacturer to do a correct P-51B!

Probably as soon as I finish it someone will Peter. :)

• Like 1

Change of plans! I find I don't have the little Tamiya nose piece with the air scoop. Brought this to a screeching temporary halt. So now here's the new plan. I have a Revell P-51D I had pirated parts from so I'll use it's nose. It has the right profile PLUS I won't have to mount a engine. Might just be a bit easier too! :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Oh no, sounds like I must have been involved somehow as parts are missing and a change of plan is now the order of the day.

Yes, it's all your fault! LOL Where's that little nose piece Peter?! 😄 Actually I guess I just took it for granted I had the part. Anyway, I think using the Revell parts will be easier so we will see. :)

• Haha 1